Re: FIOS dropping WJAR TV as of 12/31/11
dre22era
Enthusiast - Level 2

I highly doubt this will happen. This is just another contract dispute. These disputes usually get resolved in the 11th hour as one side will eventually cave in.

WJAR TV is persuading you into thinking this situation is Verizons fault when in fact Verizon is actually protecting their customers from their bills increasing if WJAR TV gets their way. 

johnnyp10

This is absolutely wrong for Verizon to pull something like this!!!!  This is what we get after sucking in all the local residents with contracts then this suddenly happens >>>>>WRONG<<<<< I don't know the whole story, but it's not a good one...Cox Cable must be loving this!

0 Likes
Replete
Contributor - Level 1

Let's be fair, we don't know enough to know who is to blame, most likely both Verizon and WJAR are. I have sent just as many critical emails to WJAR as I have to Verzon, and I encourage all of you to do the same. Bottom line is they both need to come to a deal, and fast.

0 Likes
clairee680

I'm outraged at the thought of not having m y favorite tv station after 12/31/11 . if that happens then i will be getting rid of my fios

0 Likes
bev02886

I agree and will dispute the amount they charge me to cancel my contract.

0 Likes
mss11462

BIG MISTAKE !!!!!! CH 10 has the best coverage around local news and sports NFL NHL !!!!!   would consider a move to another service wit out all the local channels .................please correct this BIG  mistake BEFORE it takes place

thanks Mark S. Selley

0 Likes
cayriawill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to state for all of you that think you can drop FiOS because of WJAR.

• Per your contract (you can pull it out and verify) Verizon will continue to offer any channels it is legally obligated or consented to carry. As long as Verizon does this, your contract is still valid and you will be held to an early termination fee.
  • If WJAR NBC 10 stops broadcasting or blackouts the feed to Verizon because of a retransmission contract negotiation, Verizon is no longer legally consented to carry the station.
  • Verizon if chooses so can replace WJAR with another local NBC Affiliate if it is available in the area via Antenna or replace WJAR permanetly.
  • WJAR can invoke "must carry" rights where WJAR cannot ask for retransmission fees

With that being said here is some facts about the dispute:

• WJAR (and other broadcast channels) ask for fees to pay for the right to retransmit by cable companies.
  • The contract normally lasts 3 years.
  • Only coverage of the retransmission contract dispute is by WJAR and no other news outlet. Thus causing a one sided story blaming Verizon (old media trick) and causing their viewership to try to bully Verizon into paying the fees.
  • Since there is no other coverage or information, WJAR could be asking for a 400% increase like Cordillera Communications is doing to Time Warner in Corpus Christi, TX (they have been in blackout status since Dec 12.
  • If Verizon does pay higher fees for retransmission, part of this cost would be passed down to the consumer.

What we should be doing is asking for all the information instead of railroading one company or the other. The US Lawmakers should be involved to also update all outdated laws that allow broadcasting companies to railroad and blackout their stations because a contract was not renewed.

If you do change to another company, what stops WJAR from doing the same thing when that contract is up.

Media General owns WJAR NBC 10 and is doing the same in Tampa, FL with WFLA NBC.

For the record I do not work for Verizon but I do work for a Media Advertising company.

rjoanne670

If Verizon drops channel 12 (wjar) I will be dropping verizon.We pay $180 a month for our package and that includes chanel 12. I ,like so many others have had it with games these companies play.Screw with your customers and see   how they'll boycott your business. 

0 Likes
AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3

Hi rjoanne67,

It looks like this thread is over a year old, and the information is not current.

AnnieS

0 Likes