FIOS lacks ON DEMAND for TIVO users

FIOS lacks ON DEMAND for TIVO users

SOLVED
Highlighted
Copper Contributor jmikula19
Copper Contributor
Message 1 of 36
(22,883 Views)

Why does FIOS not have ON DEMAND available to customers using cable cards and TIVO? When I was with Comcast, they allowed cable card users with TIVO's to use the ON DEMAND feature.

35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
Gold Contributor V Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V
Message 2 of 36
(22,859 Views)

Because FiOS On Demand uses FiOS internet to control and deliver content.  TiVo doesn't have the proper internet connectivity or software to support FiOS On Demand.

Enjoy.

-----
If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 3 of 36
(22,855 Views)

It's a technical limitation in the technology. CableCARD devices, like TiVo, are one-way devices. Cable boxes provided by Verizon, have two-way communications.

As a user of a Ceton tuner, I'm in the same boat. But with four tuners, I usually have enough programming recorded, that I don't need on-demand.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Message 4 of 36
(22,826 Views)

I'm just saying that with all the technology FIOS claims to have, they can not offer what Comcast seems to be able to offer to their customers with cable cards.

Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV
Message 5 of 36
(22,775 Views)

@jmikula19 wrote:

Why does FIOS not have ON DEMAND available to customers using cable cards and TIVO? When I was with Comcast, they allowed cable card users with TIVO's to use the ON DEMAND feature.

Comcast with Xfinity is doing On Demand with TiVo so it is only a limitaion of Verizon. They could if they wanted to do it.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 6 of 36
(22,752 Views)

Any one know what Comcast does that allows TIVO to do On-demand?

Highlighted
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV
Message 7 of 36
(22,749 Views)

Feel free to vote for it. Maybe one day... we will get it.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/ON-DEMAND-for-TIVO-users/idi-p/688360

Highlighted
Contributor Threebicks
Contributor
Message 8 of 36
(22,208 Views)
Comcast video on demand on tivo uses a hybrid system where outbound request for material and transport (play,pause,ff,rw) is sent via IP. Video is sent back to the cable card via the traditional vod method, likely involving a session-based qam video stream sent via the comcast network down the cable line to your tivo.
Highlighted
Contributor Threebicks
Contributor
Message 9 of 36
(22,207 Views)
If anything it's *easier* for vz to implement vod on tivo than comcast. Their vod Is 100 percent ip based. This is not a technical limitation. It's a strategic decision on Verizon's part.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Message 10 of 36
(22,203 Views)

Thanks for that information. So what your telling me is that Verizon won't give Tivo users On Demand, because they want to rent thier own equipment to keep making more money. Well when my 2 year contract is up in February, it's back to Comcast for me.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.