FiOS + VCR + Standby Mode = problems for my Grandma.
in10sity

So my Grandma just got FiOS. She still "tapes" stuff using VCR's (crazy, I know... but she ain't changing).

Problem is, since she's had FiOS, she has been left with a bunch of tapes that contain nothing but the black standby "Press Menu to blah blah blah" screen instead of the shows she was supposed to be recording.

Is there any way around this in her situation?

Thanks in advance for any help. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS + VCR + Standby Mode = problems for my Grandma.
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like she's turning off the STB (perhaps when she uses the remote to turn off the TV?) .  You've got to leave the STB turned on for the VCR to be able to record something.

Here's a simple enough test ... tell her to "leave the TV turned on" while she records something and see if the problem goes away  (for years my mother-in-law used to insist that you needed to have the TV on in order to record a show on the VCR -- what a hoot that was trying to convince her otherwise!).   If so, then my suspicion is correct and we a minor "process" problem we just need to fix by figuring out how to explain to her how to turn the TV off without turning the STB off.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like she's turning off the STB (perhaps when she uses the remote to turn off the TV?) .  You've got to leave the STB turned on for the VCR to be able to record something.

Here's a simple enough test ... tell her to "leave the TV turned on" while she records something and see if the problem goes away  (for years my mother-in-law used to insist that you needed to have the TV on in order to record a show on the VCR -- what a hoot that was trying to convince her otherwise!).   If so, then my suspicion is correct and we a minor "process" problem we just need to fix by figuring out how to explain to her how to turn the TV off without turning the STB off.

0 Likes
in10sity

Bingo! When she uses the FiOS remote to shut the TV, it's shutting both the TV AND the STB. What the hell is that about it?

Anyway, I told her to remember to shut the TV using the TV remote (or the power button on the TV) instead, and I'm thinking that should probably/hopefully solve her problem.

Thanks!

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

By default, the remote will turn off / on both the TV and the STB when you press the power button.   Normally that is exactly what you want to occur.   You can however disable that sequence and make it so that the power button only works the device you have selected on the remote.

From the remote documentation:

On the remote:

1.  Press and hold the STB key.

2.  While hlding down the STB, press OK

3.  Release both keys.  The Device keys will blink twice.

4.  Press 9 - 7 - 7.  The STB key will blink twice.

5.  Press OK.  The STB key will blink 3 times to indicate success in programming. 

Now, to turn off the TV, press the TV key and then the Power button.   To turn off the STB, press the STB key and then the power button.   To work the STB, press the STB key followed by whatever commands you wanted to perform (channel, volume, etc.)

0 Likes