Funimation Canceled!

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: Funimation Canceled!

Message 481 of 508
(3,385 Views)

Not like they care enough to mention it...  but FUNimation Channel content on FiOS VOD has been moved.  I only just found out about this myself yesterday after complaining about it on Facebook:

Press On Demand then follow the menus: Movies > By Genre > All > Anime  (and then select Anime)

Press Options and then select Free from the Filter menu and press OK.

And there is the current titles FUNimation Channel has put up that used to be in the Cutting Edge section.  To save some time I bookmarked the Anime section and just go to My Library > My Bookmarks...  but the filter option doesn't stick so I have to do the options thing after bringing up the Anime contents each time.

If you are following any of the shows that were on Cutting Edge and just sitting there wondering when that would reappear...  be sure to look at the expiration dates...  most expire on the 19th so there is only a few days left to watch them.

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 482 of 508
(3,342 Views)

Further info: It seems Verizon was responsible for changing around the On Demand location of the content without telling anyone (including FUNimation Channel).  What else is new!?!.  FUNimation Channel seems to be playing catch up right now and probably will post something on their Facebook page and perhaps elsewhere when they finally get it all sorted out.  Personally I wish FUNimation Channel had mentioned where the content was moved to when they became aware of it (about a week ago),  but they are still light-years ahead of Verizon when it comes to communication even without that as they were quick to respond to my Facebook posting regarding this latest incident.

Personally, I still find the whole FiOS On Demand experience lacking and I'm waiting for Verizon to wake up and add FUNimation Channel HD.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 483 of 508
(3,156 Views)

I really wish Verizon would take into consideration the fact that this has driven a few threads on their forums to close to 50 pages since it was announced to cancel this network (not just this thread but there are others...another one I know is at 43 pages) and a few other new threads that have popped up.  It's clear there is a community that watches this channel...not sure how they can deny that.  Not only that, but considering the LOW volume of 'other' posts for the other ideas...vs this.

Its still ridiculous.  Once I move from this current residence, I will be cancelling Verizon and never looking back.  I wanted to cancel once it was removed but as it stands I can't be bothered to switch to Comcast which does not offer anything better either.  But will when it comes time to choose fresh.

Posting this as I watch Claymore on DVD...a series I wouldn't have been interested in if it weren't for the Funimation Channel showing it.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 484 of 508
(2,853 Views)

The people at FUNimation have been hinting that they will be expanding into the NY area in a few days.  Based on the hints they've been dropping, my guess is that Cablevision's  "Optimum." service will be carrying them.  If this is true, then the channel will be back in part of the area serviced by Fios.  Unfortunately for me, I live a half mile outside Cablevision's territory.  Two of the subscribers that I had helped lure to Fios do live in that area and will probably jump back to optimum., since the Funimation channel was the sole  reason they signed with Verizon.

While this is happening Verizon continues to play hardball in negotiations with other content providers, and discontinuing other channels.  They insult their customers by telling them that they are "streamlining" and "consolidating" their services.  All they are doing is reducing the value of the services that their established customers are paying top dollar for, now that they no longer qualify for a promotional discount.  In doing this they are also removing everything that made their service unique .  The reason we all came here in the first place.

I still hold out hope that Verizon will change their minds but I spend a lot money every month for their Quad Play.  My wireless contract is up,  and my triple play contract will eventually expire  Meanwhile, I get a lot of mail from Comcast trying to lure me back, and while I was disappointed with their service when I had them, I might as well be disappointed for a lot less money. 

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 485 of 508
(2,811 Views)

Find the ratings on Funimation, they are nonexistant, because no one watched it.

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 486 of 508
(2,800 Views)

Greg, that could be said about any number of channels on Verizon FiOS.  There are a LOT of channels I could claim should be dumped (some with probably good justification and others perhaps not - maybe some channels YOU watch would be in that list and would annoy you that I would dare say that) even if not, it would doubtless annoy a LOT of other people who like those channels in the process (and for what?).  Personally I generally like the diversity of Verizon FiOS.  For me, FUNimation Channel was the "oh I get it now" moment I had with FiOS and how great it was.  I was looking around for something to watch and landed on this cool 24/7 anime channel and there is nothing else like it on any other provider around here (or even on Verizon).  It was something unique to FiOS and as such it is greatly missed.

I'm not going to lie and say I watched every show, or every repeat of every show.  They had some entertaining series I highly enjoyed and set my DVR to record so I could watch them.  But then...  I can't say I watch every show or every repeat of every show on any other network either.  FUNimation Channel most certainly has a good number of viewers though who are rightly upset with Verizon removing the channel.  One thing that is quite remarkable is how the idea to bring back FUNimation Channel and add the HD feed shot to the #2 top voted idea on Verizon in a very short time after Verizon's decision.  That just doesn't happen for channels if "no one watched" as you suggest.  The #1 idea at the time took YEARS to get there, not a matter of weeks like the FUNimation Channel idea did.  There have been other channels that have gone out of business or that Verizon no longer carries.  Did they get the same level of forum postings or votes?  No.  Another channel that was pulled at the same time as FUNimation got all of 2, maybe a whopping 3 posts at most and no one is talking about that channel anymore.  And yet FUNimation Channel continues to be discussed and get votes.

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 487 of 508
(2,783 Views)

I also heard about Funimation's expansion. I also know that the first television provider who offers that channel will be getting my money as soon as possible.

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 488 of 508
(2,733 Views)

Trust me, Verizon has no worries about dropping this channel.  Also, it's content is heavily pirated, and so, again, its niche viewership isn't even there.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 489 of 508
(2,671 Views)

Greg, your "ratings" numbers are nonexistent because Nielsen doesn't get paid to report ratings for tiny channels. Funimation currently airs on only a couple of small regional carriers.  They collect their data through meters put in a few homes, collect demographic data, monitor viewing habits and extrapolate that data toward the entire population.  So, unless you have access to data collected from cable  boxes (and aside from VOD buys I'm not even sure that that data is collected) I don't know how you could say how many people watch Funimation.  But there is a way you can guess.

Since Verizon announced that they were pulling the channel there has been nearly 100 pages containing thousands of posts with tens of thousands of page views by several hundred fans on Verizon's own forum.  Now compare that activity to all of the other forum topics, and keep in mind that only a small percentage of angry subscribers visit community forums.  Then extrapolate that data.  So yes, Verizon should have some concerns.  Read the other posts.  There are a lot of people spending a lot of money , who were lured here for a diversity in programming  that is disappearing AFTER they've signed contracts.

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 490 of 508
(2,650 Views)

Greg,

You have shot yourself in the foot with your own argument. There used to be many places on the internet where one could get "free" music content. The record companies were upset.  Why would that be? "It's content [was] heavily pirated, and so", following your strange logic, "its niche [listeners buying CDs wasn't] even there."  So the record companies should have had "no worries" about that?!?  Oh well, CD sales are down, must just be that the songs are only catering to a niche. Let's all pack it in.  Drop all the artists.  But wait,  the heavily pirated stuff wasn't unpopular stuff... it was the MOST popular stuff and even stuff that was less popular was pretty heavily downloaded even if there were fewer copies of it around.

Apple recognized this and came out with the iTunes Store and transformed things completely by providing a relatively inexpensive, fast, higher quality, easy way for people to acquire this content and listen the way they wanted to. How did that work out?  Oh!  Rather well.  What a surprise (not).  You see, given the opportunity, people actually prefered what Apple provided over hunting around for "free" stuff and the hassles (not to mention the legal matters that made many of them rather uncomfortable) associated with it.  Did that put an end to pirated copies of popular stuff on the internet?  No, but it diminished it because many people preferred Apple's approach to this problem.

I suppose it is easy to point at a channel that was a lesser quality (SD only on Verizon), that was only available as a 24/7 channel on 2 providers (that I'm aware of) in the US (now only 1) and compare it to some channel that is available on all providers and say... oh look at how much more popular THAT channel that is available everywhere is.  Even if you factor in the larger pool of On Demand FUNimation Channel content available on more providers (which is also mostly lesser SD quality and has many other drawbacks).  If the content is indeed "heavily pirated" that just shows the content is actually more popular and there is demand for it from a LOT of people who can't get it any other way or for who it is just too frustrating (not to mention issues of expense).  Add that to the other evidence like the voting for FUNimation Channel HD on Verizon FiOS, multiple forum topics each with many more pages than typical, continuing requests for the channel on Verizon's Facebook page, I would imagine continuing requests to Verizon by phone (although there really is no way of confirming that) and even the longevity of the requests to Verizon after all this time without the channel.

So... thanks Greg.  You actually added something positive to this conversation after all.  You provided even more evidence that FUNimation Channel is more popular than people give it credit for.  I wouldn't have really thought about the whole "heavily pirated" aspect to this at all if it wasn't for you. Smiley LOL

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.