Funimation Canceled!

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Funimation Canceled!

Message 471 of 508
(2,422 Views)

I don't like to be redundant but it appears Verizon fails to understand basic customer satisfaction. The elimination of the Funimation Channel due to so called "low viewership" ignores the market it is competing in, perhaps it's a legacy of its "phone company" history as I stated in a previous post. They should recognize the support this channel gets on these forums and how passionate the support is for Funimation. 

I wonder if Verizon based their decision on nationwide ratings since I realize anime may not be as popular across the country (let's say the South as an example).  If so, perhaps Verizon should consider offering Funimation in certain regions only.  I would hope they are not trying to provide the same menu of channels in every part of the country.  That would not be a well thought out business decision.  

I also wonder about Verizon since it offers this forum to allow its customers to express their thoughts and ask questions.  Yet, they don't appear to feel a need to provide an explanation for their decision even when it is questioned by nearly 50 pages of comments.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 472 of 508
(2,419 Views)

@anime2461 wrote:

I don't like to be redundant but it appears Verizon fails to understand basic customer satisfaction. The elimination of the ... 

I am sure they understand but feel those who care enough and will leave is less of an impact than the cost of carrying the channel.

You'll find all the other Satellite/Cable providers have channels they have cut or refuse to carry despite customers requests.

Verizon pretty much will never give any answers or reponses to this kind of message on this part of the forum, which is peer to peer.

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 473 of 508
(2,318 Views)

Well, the Roku app has finally arrived for Funimation.  It's not the linear channel, but it certainly helps me get my Anime fix.

I suggest everyone do what I did -  Turn in one of those unused/underused set top boxes (everyone has one), and subscribe to Funimation's service, if you have broadband/fios internet.  Turning in the box will save you at least $6/mo (Funimation is $8/mo, so it's almost paid for) & take money away from Verizon.

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 474 of 508
(2,222 Views)

the Funimation channel was the only reason why I considered fios. It needs to be returned.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 475 of 508
(2,217 Views)

Based on changes by funimation itself, almost certainly never going to happen until something else changes.

To make matters worse, Verizon has already used up the freed up QAM space. 

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 476 of 508
(2,109 Views)

Here’s the long and short of it – the definition of ‘customer service’ has apparently changed. Granted, it used to mean that companies tried to serve their customers. Unfortunately, it now means that customers serve the whims of the companies.  Someone stated earlier that ‘Verizon understands’ the situation, well, that’s a load of nonsense. They don’t understand, they are aware but they DO NOT understand. They are aware but could care less. It’s just another channel to them. They could never understand how important Funimation truly is.  

Even if Verizon would lose money by keeping Funimation (which I still have my doubts) it would make it up with happy customers. Happy customers are more likely to put more money into a company who cares about them, for example, they’re more likely to invest in movie channels or spend money on VOD. Nobody wants to give money to a cold, unfeeling corporation.  Personally, just seeing a Verizon commercial infuriates me!

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 477 of 508
(2,083 Views)

Whoohoo! I will be checking out the Roku app. Perhaps they'll have an iOS app soon so I can watch directly from the iPad. I'm assuming they have either a trial period or limited content for non-subscribers, like many of the other online services do (Drama Fever, CrunchyRoll/KDrama, etc.)

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 478 of 508
(2,081 Views)

@tns wrote:

To make matters worse, Verizon has already used up the freed up QAM space. 

I've seen this speculated from time to time.  Is there anyone online that has done the math on this showing Verizon FiOS is actually out of free QAM space?  I'm curious because I've read stuff like this on the forum saying Verizon can't possibly add another station because there is no QAM space left...  and then, without removing anything, a new SD and/or HD channel or two turns up.  Huh?

Look, I'm not happy with Verizon FiOS dumping FUNimation Channel in the least.  I want to see this station brought back in HD, but I'm not entirely buying the QAM space argument unless someone can provide some actual info to back it up.

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 479 of 508
(2,080 Views)

@LizJ wrote:

Perhaps they'll have an iOS app soon so I can watch directly from the iPad. 

They do have an iOS app for that.  Initially it only supported the iPod touch/iPhone screen size, but they now have an update that natively supports the iPad as well.  I'm told the app also supports AirPlay which means if you have recent enough Apple iOS devices that support it and the AppleTV then you can also watch their content on your TV as well.

I haven't tried out the app yet.  There seem to be free and paid options having various levels of access to content which I haven't looked into.  Maybe someone else who already is using the app can fill in more details.  If the plans work out well...  I might consider getting a newer iPad or the new iPod touch 5 and an AppleTV so I can once again watch FUNimation Channel shows.

And yes, I know FUNimation has some content available on FiOS On Demand (and the free stuff is pretty good) but none of that is the newer shows that are on FUNimation Channel and while some of those newer shows are available for a fee on FiOS On Demand after the move they made with dropping FUNimation Channel I would rather buy a new AppleTV, iPod touch 5 and/or iPad 3, buy the FUNimation app and whatever subscription they have than pay Verizon FiOS one cent more than what I am currently.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 480 of 508
(1,925 Views)

I guess Verizon is really done with Funimation.  My family was watching the small sample of Funimation shows on the Cutting Edge section of their Free Video On Demand.  Now it has disappeared.  Can anyone tell me if this is channel is now done on Verizon FIOs as well?

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.