quick menu

Goodbye to DirecTV

Contributor rcp728
Contributor
Message 1 of 11
(14,466 Views)

I thought I would share today's event. Now that I have had Fios for over a month, it's time to say goodbye to the dish after 10 years. Smiley Very Happy

I have a picture of my dish in the waste container, but don't see a way to post the picture, sorry about that.

DirecTV gets trashed

10 REPLIES 10
Contributor AxshunAce
Contributor
Message 2 of 11
(14,361 Views)

I was where you were a year ago. I too was glad to be on FIOS, I had DirecTV since 1990.

After a year with Verizon Fios, I think I am ready to go back to DirecTV. For starters, DirecTV has a superior web site that is extremely easy to make changes to you programming. I have been on Verizon’s web site for 3 days trying to make one little program change and now I think it's going to take a phone call and now I have to look forward to being put on hold. Second, I love DTV's new movie selection much better than Verizon's, also, DTV broadcast more in high 1080 definition and Verizon not so much. I also believe that DTV has a superior customer service over Verizon.

Sorry Verizon, but I am just not that happy any more.

Platinum Contributor I
Platinum Contributor I
Message 3 of 11
(14,314 Views)

Welcome to the Dark Side.  We have cookies.

Smiley Very Happy

Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 4 of 11
(14,277 Views)

I recently left direct for fios. Some of the reasons I left include..... Almost constant picture/signal problems. Rain, snow and excessive clouds seemed to cause signal problems. I have nothing blocking my dish so it has a clear shot to where the satelites are. I had to have the dish readjust a lot. That never seemed to help. The 1080P picture that they advertise looks the same as fios 1080i. I see no real difference there. Directv is expensive. They seem to have an extra fee for everything. I was a directv customer for over ten years and when I left they made up some bogus $240.00 early termination charge for me and they tell me that I have to take the dish down myself. In short..... Directv Sux.

Silver Contributor I
Silver Contributor I
Message 5 of 11
(14,195 Views)

AxshunAce,

I am sorry you were having difficulty changing your account information online.  Here are the easiest steps to do so:

1. Sign into My Verizon (you are brought to Overview page).
  2. Click the “TV” tab in “My Services’ section.
  3. Now make your selection from the“Ordering” links provided at right.  (You can change base TV plan, Add/Remove Channel Plans, and Add/Return Equipment).
I hope this helps!
Jaime_Lee <Verizon Community Admin>
Platinum Contributor I
Platinum Contributor I
Message 6 of 11
(14,091 Views)

@Jaime_Lee wrote:

AxshunAce,

I am sorry you were having difficulty changing your account information online.  Here are the easiest steps to do so:

1. Sign into My Verizon (you are brought to Overview page).
  2. Click the “TV” tab in “My Services’ section.
  3. Now make your selection from the“Ordering” links provided at right.  (You can change base TV plan, Add/Remove Channel Plans, and Add/Return Equipment).
I hope this helps!
Jaime_Lee <Verizon Community Admin>

Your way or call during normal business hours and hope for the best. A bit off topic but honest feedback.

I like FIOS but changes are not all that easy when compared to Dish or DTV. It would be great if you could call support 24/7 have them push the change and update the account so billing didn't screw it up. I had noticed over the past few years DTV 24/7 phone support for changes has pretty much vanished. So it is not just Verizon. If FTV instant online changes could be performed and have the account and billing update properly, it would be better. Placing a request for TV changes should not be like requesting a phone line change with a work order, but it seems that way. Unless Verizon changes their account management and provisioning system, I have no real good ideas other then what you have posted.

Contributor trakster
Contributor
Message 7 of 11
(13,733 Views)

It's not that easy.  It is not DirecTV.  I ordered HBO/Cinemax package on a Saturday.  It will not be activated until Monday.  WHY? Now, if I ordered the NFL Red Zone package, that will be activated in 15 minutes.

At least will DirecTV, whenever I ordered or canceled an service, it was immediate.  No waiting.  As for an earlier comment that DirecTV being more expensive, well I'm sorry to say, it's not.  I received all premium movie channels, Showtime, HBO, Starz, etc. plus all available channels, Sports channels, HD for much, much less than what Verizon charges.  Why did I leave DirecTV?  I moved in a new house surrounded by trees.

Verizon has a long way to go to match DirecTV cost and customer service.  Especially customer service.

Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 8 of 11
(13,702 Views)

I think every provider has an issue or two, and I have had FIOS for over one year.  I have had some issues...yes, but on the whole, compared to Comcast...I have a bigger selection of channels, more HD.....less outages, and courteous customer service.  Verizon billing does have issues now and then, as did Comcast, but any problem was rectified fast.

As for adding new channels,  Verizon would add more if they were available.  For those who are into sports, then put the blame where it needs to go...Cablevision, at least in the NY area.  If a cable company owns cable channels, they should not use them to compete against other cable companies.  The FCC should put a stop to this practice. 

I am eagly awaiting whatever new is coming from FIOS in 2010, and I am sure we will have a lot of new channels and services.

Copper Contributor Rebalol
Copper Contributor
Message 9 of 11
(13,664 Views)

@trakster wrote:

It's not that easy.  It is not DirecTV.  I ordered HBO/Cinemax package on a Saturday.  It will not be activated until Monday.  WHY? Now, if I ordered the NFL Red Zone package, that will be activated in 15 minutes.

At least will DirecTV, whenever I ordered or canceled an service, it was immediate.  No waiting.  As for an earlier comment that DirecTV being more expensive, well I'm sorry to say, it's not.  I received all premium movie channels, Showtime, HBO, Starz, etc. plus all available channels, Sports channels, HD for much, much less than what Verizon charges.  Why did I leave DirecTV?  I moved in a new house surrounded by trees.

Verizon has a long way to go to match DirecTV cost and customer service.  Especially customer service.

I'm amazed it takes so long to turn on your HBO/Cinemax.  I had a billing problem which I had to call in about 2 months in a row. I made the call late in the evening, near 9 pm.  At the end of the second call, the CSR apologized and offered me free HBO/Cinemax for 3 months.  He said it would be on by midnight...well, it was on almost immediately! I was finally happy about something having to do with FIOS. I do miss DTV and their TIVO  DVR's -- I resent that I have to buy a TIVO to get the same service with FIOS! 
Highlighted
Copper Contributor Maniac32
Copper Contributor
Message 10 of 11
(13,495 Views)

I appreciate the reliability and quality of video/audio with FIOS. When I left Directv in August... it was exciting at first with FIOS. No comparison on video/audio.

My wife and kids are beating on me everyday about channels and movies. I have to agree... I am not a cheap subscriber... pretty much have it all... but the movie selection reeks with FIOS.

This week we had friends staying with us... we wanted to see holiday movies... guess what!! EVERY movie was a rental.

Don't even begin to try to tell me that FIOS has 10,000 choices. It's marketing hype...

January 31st... I become a Directv subscriber once again. I hate to do this... it hurts... they hammered me for a $250 disconnect fee...  but FIOS falls short with free movie selections and picks my pocket evrytime I want to see an oldie, a goodie or what ever...  Its worth the switchback to Directv....

Its true and there is no denying it...  If you are a movie buff... just wait a month or two and then write us...

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.

My Verizon

• Add or Change Plan
  • Suspend My Service
  • Apps

Support

Watch Fios