Re: HBO and several program channels being drop ...
AncientHipster
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am in Virginia and received the same letter. When we relocated to the area in September -- we went with Verizon Fios because of the 24 month offer of free HBO and Cinemax. Thought this is a good offer? If we sign a 24 month contract thinking we were being offered these free incentives to go with their Ultimate package for 24 months -- Verizon are you not misleading your customers? You have us in a 24 month contract and now you are breaching your end of the deal. The first paragraph states," At Verizon, we're committed to providing our customers with the best possible TV experience while OUR PRICES AFFORDABLE. It's because of this that we sometimes need to make changes to how FIOS TV programming is offered by adding or removing content." Lets look at it this way -- what if we decided that expenses in our household are too much and we are not going to pay a portion of our bill to keep things "affordable"? How long would that last? This is breach of contract. You cannot offer the public an incentive to get them as a customer and then tell them  -- sorry we cannot uphold our end of the contract and BTW, you are still under a contractual obligation for another 18 months. 

Re: Elimination of Cinemax
Rksdl

Sucks 

0 Likes
Southpawd
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in Virginia and got the same letter they are removing cinemax in 30 days but I can pay MORE if i want it back. 

Unfortunately I'm only 5 months into my 24 month agreement I signed up for in Feb, so I can't drop fios for another 19 months but can bet I will. 

Whole point in signing up for 2 year agreements is...

1. Discounts offered

2. To protect yourself from price increases for the agreement time. 

Their response well we are just removing it from the ultimate package you signed up for, everything else is the same, doesn't wash. Whats next a letter saying we are removing ESPN, TNT, TBS, SIFY, ETC from the ultimate package but if youi want can still get them just pay more?

Re: FIOS package letter
ekestler
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in the DC Metro area (Potomac, MD), and a week-and-a-half, I got a letter saying my Cinemax is disappearing. Not HBO, just Cinemax. I have the "Ultimate HD" package w/75Mbps up/down, and continued my plan about 6 months ago.  Evidentally, I'm in a "grandfathered" plan.

I'm still **bleep** -- I'm paying "X" for this package, and they take away one component, but I'm still paying "X". 

Seems to me that this is illegal, and breaks the contract I have with Verizon.

If only Comcast Xfinity were more reliable in my area....

0 Likes
ekestler
Enthusiast - Level 1

Further to my posting: I just contacted Montgomery Country 311 services, which handles complaints like this, and formally filed a complaint.

It may not help, but I feel better.

Cable companies and communication companies that offer these services HAVE to get county approval. Complaints are a fast way to get their attention.

0 Likes
Cleon1

I doubt anything is for "FREE".  We should all stop believing that we receive any channels for free.  As a salesperson I know there are many ways to say you're receiving something for "FREE" when in fact you're actually paying for it.  The fact that they want to cut the channels without a reason and try to raise the price on the Ultimate package is ridiculous. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its not for no reason.

Over time, content costs continue to rise.

Verizon (and from what I have read other providers as well) adjust channel packages.

Either because new contracts require carriage in certain packages or costs rise.

Verizon has stated in the past (TWC for example) they look at viewership.

Remember cable providers pay for every subscriber in a package regardless of viewership.
So if they find the amount of viewers for a particular channel is low compared to cost, they may remove it from certain packages.

And there is not much local (or federal) governments can do about it.

Per the TOS (that I have also read is common amongst cable providers), Verizon can add or delete channels for a package at any time even for those customers under contract.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@AncientHipster wrote:

I am in Virginia and received the same letter. When we relocated to the area in September -- we went with Verizon Fios because of the 24 month offer of free HBO and Cinemax. Thought this is a good offer? If we sign a 24 month contract thinking we were being offered these free incentives to go with their Ultimate package for 24 months -- Verizon are you not misleading your customers? You have us in a 24 month contract and now you are breaching your end of the deal.

There is a good change that letter was sent out to everyone and will not effect you. That is assuming that your offer specifically listed HBO and Cinemax free for 24 months. This is defferent from those who were getting it included with their Main Package (ULtimate, etc). Obviously follow up with Verizon if it does drop off your service.
0 Likes
AncientHipster
Enthusiast - Level 1

After filing a complaint with the FCC  a FIOS representative contacted me. FIOS actually listened to my concerns about dropping the channels before my 24 month contract was complete. They resinstated HBO and Cinemax for the remiander of my contract without any additional charges. FIOS customers if you are losing your HBO and/or Cinemax or both during the 24 month freebie they were offering  -- file a complaint with the FCC.  Otherwise, when I contacted FIOS customer service directly -- I was told too bad. 

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

My post from 7/1/2018: 

I am in Virginia and received the same letter. When we relocated to the area in September -- we went with Verizon Fios because of the 24 month offer of free HBO and Cinemax. Thought this is a good offer? If we sign a 24 month contract thinking we were being offered these free incentives to go with their Ultimate package for 24 months -- Verizon are you not misleading your customers? You have us in a 24 month contract and now you are breaching your end of the deal. The first paragraph states," At Verizon, we're committed to providing our customers with the best possible TV experience while OUR PRICES AFFORDABLE. It's because of this that we sometimes need to make changes to how FIOS TV programming is offered by adding or removing content." Lets look at it this way -- what if we decided that expenses in our household are too much and we are not going to pay a portion of our bill to keep things "affordable"? How long would that last? This is breach of contract. You cannot offer the public an incentive to get them as a customer and then tell them  -- sorry we cannot uphold our end of the contract and BTW, you are still under a contractual obligation for another 18 months. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately the contract we all sign allows them to do this. And from what I have heard, it is common language in most cable contracts.

They can add or subtract channels from a package at any time.

BTW, you can reduce your TV package to near 0 during your contract period.

You just have to have some level of service to meet the terms of the contract.

0 Likes