HD and Standard def - Same channel?
Karl_S
Enthusiast - Level 1

I notice a lot of the HD channels also have a matching Stadard Definition version.  It appears the content is the same.  Besides the marketing ploy of boosting the number of channels delivered, why not drop the Standard Def versions?  I personally will be making it so they are skipped (using Parental Controls if  ihave to) when browsing the channels.  Wouldn't mind not seeing them in the Guide as well.

Karl

0 Likes
Re: HD and Standard def - Same channel?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Karl_S wrote:

I notice a lot of the HD channels also have a matching Stadard Definition version.  It appears the content is the same.  Besides the marketing ploy of boosting the number of channels delivered, why not drop the Standard Def versions?  I personally will be making it so they are skipped (using Parental Controls if  ihave to) when browsing the channels.  Wouldn't mind not seeing them in the Guide as well.

Karl

The most obvious reason is that there are many installations that use SD only boxes (qip-2500 AND dct-700).  With the exception of the NY metro area, there is a major price differential between the SD boxes and HD boxes (from the users side).  The DCT-700 is $3.99 (not counting those of us who have them from the analog shutoff for free), the QIP-2500 is $5.99 and the HD (non-DVR) boxes are $9.99.  For multiple sets, that is a huge bump in monthly costs.  Also, it would require Verizon to have enough stock of the HD boxes to replace all the SD boxes.  There was a major supplier (Motorola) issue a while back.

For those that haven't made the move to HD (and no, I'm not one of those) they would say just the opposite - why not get rid of the HD channels, I can't use them Smiley Surprised !

Karl_S
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK, I understand, but the SD boxes block the HD channels (I know, presumably by not being able to understand them) so why not have the HD boxes not use the SD channels?  I would imagine they could even use the same channel # as I see it, even though it may be an actual different number/address that the box sees coming in.  On SD boxes, it shows as SD, on HD boxes as HD.  Easier on the consumer end, yet understandably a little more on the providers end.  The thing is, these are the kind of difference which set the best apart from the good.

Karl

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Karl_S wrote:

OK, I understand, but the SD boxes block the HD channels (I know, presumably by not being able to understand them) so why not have the HD boxes not use the SD channels? 

Karl

Well, in the case of my Verizon DVR, there are times I choose to record the SD channel because of  the limited HD recording time (about 20 hours of HD video on the 160 GB drives).

Example - the US Open daily has over 14 hours of  coverage between ESPN2 and Tennis Channel (not counting the night sessions which can run from 7:00 PM to 1:30 AM).  This would basically use up all the DVR space for a single day and there is no way I could watch (even selectively) all the material in one sitting meaning that my DVR is now a brick for recording purposes.  Maybe once they come out with the new DVRs and enable E-SATA I might agree.

There is a way to do what you want with the Favorites setup.  Here is a LINK to a PDF by Justin that explains how to do it.  Some up front work to get setup, but it does work (also HERE is the thread in which the link is posted).

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Keyboards nailed it right on the head ... it's about resolution.   I don't always record in HD because of the space it consumes.  If I have a particularly busy week of recording, I may opt to record a number of shows in SD to reduce the amount of space they take.   Additionally, if I am recording something that I plan to watch later on an SD box via Home Media -- I need to be able to record it in SD, since I can't playback an HD recording on that box. 

Additionally, sometimes the HD picture / channel has issues.    For example, an HD channel may for unknown reasons be exhibiting pixelization -- whether caused locally or in the feed itself -- while at the same time, the SD channel is just fine.   In those instances, I switch to the SD channel and watch in the lower resolution.

So, as was discussed on some other threads, I would suggest you simply setup a favorites list and ignore any SD channels on that list.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Karl_S wrote:

OK, I understand, but the SD boxes block the HD channels (I know, presumably by not being able to understand them) so why not have the HD boxes not use the SD channels?  I would imagine they could even use the same channel # as I see it, even though it may be an actual different number/address that the box sees coming in.  On SD boxes, it shows as SD, on HD boxes as HD.  Easier on the consumer end, yet understandably a little more on the providers end.  The thing is, these are the kind of difference which set the best apart from the good.

Karl

The DVRs are HD and some use them on SD TVs. Also some use the HD boxes on SD TVs so they can get all the HM DVR content on a remote none DVR SD TV. Some use the HD box on a SD TV so they can get all the channels. They will down convert.

0 Likes
Karl_S
Enthusiast - Level 1

So this all points to optional settings.  Apparently the HD tuner I use (without DVR) QIP7100-2 can filter channels to show me the Favorite channels I set.  So it could have the option to filter repeated SD channels as well, albeit with some additional programming on Verizon's end to store the equivalents.  Instead, I have to manually do this, which I recognize is a 1-time thing, but the functionality still would be nice.  And while they may not add/remove channels often, when/IF they do, I have to pay attention to other possible communications instead of suddenly scanning past a new channel either in the guide or while channel surfing.

As I said, while a small thing, it is these small items that make things better.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think you'll find that the favorites thing as well as eliminating the display of channels to which you don't subscribe have  been discussed ad-nauseum on quite a few other threads already on the forum.

0 Likes
Karl_S
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, lasagna, Favorites will work.  I found posts on this method after my initial post and  started the arduous process last night. The point is,  the capabilities are on the units that would not necessitate these procedures. I could then spend my time viewing payed VOD and make Verizon even more money as opposed to setting my favorites...

And, yes, I have seen the posts on speeding up the process.  i recognize that once it is finished, it is finished.  I also recognize that to someone new to the environment, this one suggestion helps make the experience less intimidating.

Karl

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Karl -

Please also take into account that Verizon is pushing the capabilities of the processor and memory to near (if not past) their limits.

Hopefully the P2 7xxx and upcoming Cisco boxes will improve that situation.  Not trying to make excuses, just pointing out some facts that you may not be aware of.  Remember, Verizon is a neophyte in the video delivery field compared to all the other major players.

0 Likes