How to Surf Favorites
ghayken

I love to channel surf.  And I'm pretty good at it too, spending no more than a fraction of a second on each channel or each little viewbox. 

The feature I loved most about my comcast was that I had a button that I could program with favorite channels.  Everytime I hit that button, I would automatically cruise the the next channel that I viewed the most.   <<click>> Comedy Channel <<click>> SciFi <<click>> AMC <<click>> CNN... you get the picture.  I could hit the same button 10 times, flash through every channel that I liked, and cut out the rest of the 999 channels.  

I cannot find such a feature on my FiOS.  Instead, I have to page through (one by one) every channel offered by Verizon, whether I subscribe to it or not.  This is killing my surf. 

Am I wrong?  Am I making a rookie mistake?  Is there a way to get my favorite button back??

Haykes

0 Likes
Re: How to Surf Favorites
Justin46
Legend

From your description I think you are making a rookie mistake Smiley Very Happy

Depending on which level of the IMG (1.5 or 1.6) that you have, you have either one or two Favorites available to customize. You can set up your Favorites using Menu ==> Settings ==> Favorite Channels ==> Add/Remove Channels (have have the old 1.5 version of the IMG so I don't know for sure than the 1.6 menu sequence is the same). I suggest you not choose Add All Channels as then you would need to go in and remove a lot of channels, instead go through and add the channels you want one at a time.

Once you have your Favorites set up, then go to Flip By Channels and set the checkmark by Favorite Channels (I am not sure what this really means or does, but it was recommended to me and the Favorites works the way I want with that set). Flip By Channels is right under the Add/Remove Channels option.

Now all you need to do is hit the Favorites button rather than the Guide button when you want to see only the channels you want to see in the Guide, and the Channel Up/Down will stop only on channels in your favorites. You can still view channels not in your Favorites by entering the channel number directly. 

If I did not use Favorites 100% of the time I would go crazy, there are so many channels I either am not interested in or don't subscribe to.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by Justin on 09-05-2008 12:21 PM
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Justin wrote:

Once you have your Favorites set up, then go to Flip By Channels and set the checkmark by Favorite Channels (I am not sure what this really means or does, but it was recommended to me and the Favorites works the way I want with that set). Flip By Channels is right under the Add/Remove Channels option.

Flip by Channels means that when you hit the channel up / down key the box tunes to the next channel in your favorites - therby skipping the zillion channels you don't want..

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
Keyboards, that's what he was looking to do.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
matcarl - I realize, I was clarifying Justin's comment that "I am not sure what this really means or does" in regards to flip by favorites and that it was what the OP wanted to do.
0 Likes
ghayken
Okay I tried that.  When I hit favorites now, it brings up a more limited guide.  Is that the only way to channel surf?  By the Guide?  Or can I just flip channels by using the favorites button?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Once you have customized the Favorites to have only the channels you want:

1) Hitting the Favorites button should show a reduced Guide containing only the channels you included in your Favorites (I think you are saying that that is what you are getting, right?).

2) With Flip by Channels set to Favorites, pressing the Channel + and - rocker should stop only on the channels you have in your Favorites (are you not seeing this?)

3) If you want to watch a channel that is not in your Favorites, you can either enter the channel number directly or use the regular Guide button to see all channels, not just your Favorites.

I still have the 1.5 level of the IMG, but I understand that the 1.6 level has two Favorites that you can set.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
Keller, TX

0 Likes