Idea for channel subscription program that would benefit MILLIONS of Verizon subscribers
translator2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

Since Verizon is moving towards allowing customers to create their own TV packages to compete with streaming services, I have an idea that would certainly please millions of users.

If I want to subscribe to HBO or the French channel, for example, all I have to do is press a button on my remote. However, if I want to cancel these channels, this necessitates a phone call to customer service.

The benefit of streaming services is that we can't watch everything at once, so why pay to subscribe to 10 channels, when you can't possibly watch them all within the same month.

I think that each time you subscribe to a channel (be it Showtime or the Russian language package), you should be charged a one-month minimum fee. You can cancel the subscription (online or using your remote) at any time, but you still pay for at least one full month.

That way, I, for example, can subscribe to the French channel, watch it for a month, then cancel, then subscribe to the Portuguese and German channels, watch them for a month, then cancel, then sign up for Cinemax, watch it for three months...

Each network is still getting the benefit of a full month's subscription, plus people would be more willing to sign up (and try out) more channel options if they know that their minimum commitment is only one month.

If you haven't guessed by now, I like to watch TV in multiple languages, but I can't sign up for all the channels at once because 1) it's too expensive and 2) I can't watch all these channels in a month.

I'm sure other people would sign up for a movie channel package to catch up on their favorite shows (I think people do this anyway with Game of Thrones, etc.) or a sports package until the season is over, etc.

In other words, by making it easier for people to cancel channel/specialty package subscriptions online or using the remote (with the understanding that there is a minimum of one month), more people would subscribe to these channels - and some would keep them for several months.

With the addition of streaming TV, DVR programming, etc. there is just too much TV available and we can't watch everything, so fewer people sign up for pay-for-view packages. This model would give people more control over how they watch TV.

True there would be a lot of turning channels on and off (I, for example, would probably do this frequently). However, there would also be a huge increase in revenue from these channels, even if people cancel after one-month (then the onus is on the network to provide quality programming to retain the customer).

Thank you for your time.

0 Likes
Re: Idea for channel subscription program that would benefit MILLIONS of Verizon subscribers
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I beleive you can subscribe and unsubscribe to channels that are offered a la carte online.

Have you tried to unsubscribe online and can't?

Re: Idea for channel subscription program that would benefit MILLIONS of Verizon subscribers
translator2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks CRob,

Unfortunately, I cannot because we are part of an HOA (homeowner's community) and we can't do anything online. We cannot even call the regular Verizon number; we have to call a special number.

It would be excellent to have this control available online.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So you don't buy your services directly from Verizon but through your HOA?

translator2
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is the message I get:

"

Please contact the Verizon Local Business Office Your address appears to be part of a home owner's association that has a special agreement with Verizon. We are unable to place your order online, but our National Customer Service Center can help you with your order.

Please contact the National Customer Service Center at {edited}. Representatives are available Monday through Friday (9am - 9pm EST / 8am- 8pm CST).

0 Likes
translator2
Enthusiast - Level 3

We do buy the basic service through the HOA, but we pay Verizon directly for all add-on channels and upgrades (HD package, Spanish package, movie channels, etc.).

0 Likes
translator2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did find this:

On the remote:

- Press Menu

- Select Customer Support

- Select My Account

- Select My Verizon Services

- Select Modify Channels/Packages

Would international channels/packages be included in this list? I do have the Spanish package, but it does not appear there.

0 Likes