Is HBO GO Available Through the FIOS DVR?
MelRaff

As a FIOS and HBO subscriber, I can access HBO GO from my mobile device or PC, but I'd like to have the ability to stream HBO GO titles through my FIOS DVR.  It would seem logical to find an HBO GO Widget, but there is none.  Am I missing something? Is there another way to launch HBO GO through the DVR?  Or do I have to add another streaming device (i.e., Roku, etc.) to do that?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Is HBO GO Available Through the FIOS DVR?
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

There is no way to watch HBO Go through set top boxes. You can go into the On Demand menu and go to the HBO section to watch all their HBO content for free.

0 Likes
MelRaff

That would be acceptable, if it were true--but it's way far from that.  HBO Go provides, for example, all seasons and all episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm, just to pick one example of many.  But the On Demand menu and then the HBO section makes only about 4 or 5 total episodes available.  It is severely limited in comparison to HBO Go, and a great disappointment.  

If I simply plug my laptop into my LAN and my TV, I can watch everything through HBO Go.  But why should I have to do that?  Since Verizon is the one I'm paying directly for this privilege, one might expect Verizon to make the full range of episodes available through their own hardware.  But they simply do not.  This is a real disappointment to me.  And I have no explanation for this failing on Verizon's part.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Thats a great idea! This would be a perfect candidate for the Verizon Idea Exchange. Please search on the idea exchange and cast your vote. There may be another member who made the same suggestion. If not, please add a new idea so your fellow community members can comment and vote on your suggestion. http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-Idea-Exchange/ct-p/ideaexchange . The Verizon Idea Exchange is there for you to submit your ideas and suggestions to Verizon so that we can consider them as we innovate our products and services.

0 Likes
tiinajo

Is this still true 2+ years later you can't access HBO GO through the FIOS DVR? 

I just got HBO and I can't start any series from the beginning unless I use HBO GO?  That's lame!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. I don't know if any provider gives access to HBO GO via their STB.

But most smart tvs as well as devices like Roku, Apple TV, etc provide support for HBO GO.

0 Likes
RJMacReady
Enthusiast - Level 3

Anthony_VZ, No, "HBO GO" is not available as an option in the On Demand menus. I am not angered by it as much as I would be if it were not for other pay services such as Showtime.Which makes available every episode, in HD, of a ground breaking series such as "Dexter", and a treasure trove of other original programs. I even wonder if I will retain HBO and and EPIX when my next contract is negotiated. I can not be the only cinema devotee who is disgusted with both aforementioned services cropping every movie to a 16:9 aspect ratio.  I am finished with viewing films that have been panned and scanned from a 2.40:1 AR, as the director envisioned, down to a 16:9 AR. This elimination of almost 40% of the visuals in a film shot @ 2.40:1 is an insult to the fans and the people who worked so diligently on the framing of these images.

The repetition on HBO is also disturbing. I realize Showtime is guilty as well, but not to the extent that HBO is. If I have not watched a ridiculous film such as "Top Gun" by now, I never will. Yet HBO will continue to show it over and over again, into perpetuity I would assume. I think I can live quite happily w/o both HBO and EPIX, as long as their policies remain the same. Otherwise, I have been a tireless promoter of FiOS since it was installed, one could not ask for better audio or visual quality.

CBE

0 Likes
Chitchatjf
Enthusiast - Level 3

Because of the way Fios transmits its on demand programming the concept of HBO Go on the Set top boxes is IMO a possbility

0 Likes