Is Verizon committed to being a content provider?
Igor_Stravinsky
Enthusiast - Level 3

As a Verizon customer who switched from Comcast Xfinity to Verizon FIOS in October (2017) I admit that I believe that I made an error in judgement regarding Verizon’s capabilities as a content provider. I assumed that Verizon would attempt to stay competitive with the features and capabilities of Comcast / Xfinity in term of the functionality of their X1 platform.

Unfortunately, I was sorely mistaken and my error was confirmed in statements by Verizon CEO, Lowell C. McAdam.  In a recent interview he stated that having a robust and reliable network / infrastructure trumps everything else.  This strategy is consistently followed by Verizon marketing in the television ads of that annoying adolescent who “informs” the world that is is all about the network.

In contrast, Comcast / Xfinity  provides many advantages in their X1 platform that leaves Verizon’s FIOS product in the dust.  These features enable a “single service” portal that is competitive with Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Google Chromecast and Samsung / LG smart TV platforms in providing a portal for all content viewing. 

What Mr. NcAdam and company fail to recognize is that as a service provider, overall customer experience matters.  As a Verizon customer who has purchased premium content and has recently switch over from Comcast / Xfinity, the lack of capabilities on the FIOS platform are glaring and include the following pain points:

• Unlike Comcast / Xfinity X1, Roku, Amazon Fire and Apple TV, Verizon FIOS only has integration (Widgets / Virtual) channels for YouTube and HSC. Netflix and other content providers are missing.
  • The Verizon FIOS On-Demand library is much more limited than what gets uploaded to the Comcast / Xfinity platform, so although you may have a Verizon FIOS subscription so HBO, Showtime, Stars/Encore or TMC, don’t expect to be able to view many titles unless you stream them over a laptop or via a Roku, Fire or Apple TV device.
  • Comcast / Xfinity, Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV and Google Chromecast devices all have voice command capability that is lacking from the Verizon FIOS product. This is a huge disadvantage in the ease of viewing content provided by Verizon FIOS.  One great feature of Comcast / Xfinity X1’s voice command implementation is that searching for a title is very simple, straightforward and efficient.  Simply by speaking “Play Breaking Bad” into the Xfinity remote bring up a listing of episodes on Netflix. 

What is the benefit to Comcast / Xfinity in making it easy to find Netflix titles?  Why offer all title available through content providers that a customer subscribes to when you can try to get the subscriber to rent or buy the title from Verizon?  The answer is simple: CUSTOMER SATISFACTION!!!

If Verizon continues to pursue the current greedy, short-term strategy of driving customers to rent or purchase content that they currently should be able to access as part of their Verizon FIOS subscriptions, they are simply encouraging customers to “cut the cord” sooner rather than later.

Maybe this IS the long-term strategy for Verizon, to get out of the content provider business.  Maybe that is the smart strategic direction, to relinquish content provision to Comcast, Optimum and other traditional cable companies and focus on network as a core competency. 

I am not an expert in the business market strategy of telecommunications, cable television and ISP.  There are people with much more expertise tackling these issues.  What I can do is convey the experience of a customer whose expectation from Verizon FIOS TV has fallen very short of expectations.

If I may end this commentary on a positive note, the Verizon network as as evidenced by my internet performance has been nothing short of exceptional as was the technicians who installed FIOS in my home and provided great assistance in configuring my Ethernet home wiring.  Verizon has provided me with great service on my wireless and home subscriptions for many years.  It is my hope that Verizon decides whether to commit to being a (FIOS) content provider “all in” or get out of the business!  It makes no sense for a company with Verizon’s heritage and reputation to do FIOS TV half-way!

No netflix or voice remote??????
Bethiekat
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just switched to FIOS from Comcast. Boy am I disappointed. I'm sorry I switched. I loved FIOS last time I had it but after having Netflix and a voice remote with Comcast this service is now so inferior. I might switch back. Very very disappointed. These cable services cost too much to have to not have such features. 

Re: Is Verizon committed to being a content provider?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Generally the channels are referred to as content providers.

Verizon, Comcast, etc are just the conduit for the content.

Netflix should be available for all customers that have Quantum hardware this Monday 12/4.

0 Likes
Arikeita
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had Verizon Fios for 5 years now and could not agree with you more.  Initially it was out of necessity but recently Comcast ran fiber optic cable lines through the neighborhood.  From your “rant” it seems Comcast offers more for less and an interactive menu without the blackouts to force you to rent or buy from them.  Unlike you though, my internet sucks.  I pay for 75/75 and frequently speed test in the 10 range.  My channels pixilate, my cable, and internet frequently go out or require reset.  I have done everything customer service tells me to and have spent hours with reps with less Network and computer knowledge than myself.  I have been looking to cut the cord, which always returns to I still need internet.  I am thinking of making the switch to Comcast or maybe goi g back to direct tv.  All I know is that you alaysis was spot on, 

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Arikeita,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Anyone come from x1 and a little disappointed?
vzuser121
Enthusiast - Level 2

I must say, I'm a little disappointed with some of the features lacking with Fios.  I came from comcasts' x1 system and it seemed far superior in terms of ease-of-use and features.  For instance, on x1 you can just start typing with the remote and the shows will pop up that match those letters.  Fios has the archaic move-the-cursor around a keyboard system.  x1 also has netflix built in which is a great feature.  And what's up with the ancient remote with no backlight?  I'm not a comcast fanboy, any normal person will agree the picture quality and content is the same across these companies... just wish they had the intuitive features.

0 Likes
Re: No netflix or voice remote??????
Mtracks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here.  I'm really regretting leaving Comcast.  The X1 platform is light years better. Com'on Fios- step it up!!!!!!

Re: Anyone come from x1 and a little disappointed?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Comcast has an alphabetic remote?

FiOS search does update search as you select characters.

And they remote is not 100% backlit, but enough keys are, IMHO, to navigate.

FiOS does have Netflix available on their quantum stbs.

0 Likes
vzuser121
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, it's not an alphanumeric remote.  It looks the same as VZ's remote in that it has the 3 letters on each number.  For example, let's say you want to watch Terminator 2.  You would just press, while watching TV, 8-3-7-etc., and as soon as you start pressing buttons, a window pops up (on the right 1/3 of the screen, doesn't take up the whole screen) showing you any text string from any show (Netflix included) that you can watch.  You probably hit 4 or 5 letters before your movie / show is found (or maybe only 2 if it's currently popular).  So I was just saying that instead of moving a cursor around a keyboard on the TV (Fios), you literally just hit a few keys on the remote and the results pop up instantly.

But, their remote is motion-sensitive for the backlit keys, and every key is lit.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon used to have the key search but dropped it a couple of years ago (was actually user selectable).

I haven't tried it but supposed to be able to do vocie search from FIOS mobile app.

0 Likes