×

Switch Account

Is there a way to PROGRAM OUT channels that I do not subscribe to?

Is there a way to PROGRAM OUT channels that I do not subscribe to?

Reply
Copper Contributor miker
Copper Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎02-24-2010
Message 1 of 23
(8,244 Views)

Is there an easy way to program my box so that as I click through the channels sequentially I do not see soemthing telling me that I do not subscribe to a channel?

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,175
Registered: ‎08-05-2008
Message 2 of 23
(8,227 Views)

Using the Favorites function is the ONLY way to do so. Here is a link to something I put together quite a while ago that describes how to set up Favorites: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Exploiting-FiOS-TV-Favorites/td-p/9935

 

Keep in mind you really have three ways to set up a Favorites list:

 

1) Just take the time to go in and do it all at once. (my preference, you can always add or delete individual channels later using the Options button or go into the Menu and do a bunch at a time)

 

2) Create a Favorites list with all channels and then use the Options button to remove channels one at a time.

 

3) Create a one channel Favorites list and then use the Options button to add one channel at a time.

 

Try it, it really is not difficult, and once done makes using your FiOS STBs much more enjoyable.

 

__________________________________
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
QIP6416-P1, IMG 1.7.1, Build 09.97
Keller, TX 76248

Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 169
Registered: ‎03-16-2010
Message 3 of 23
(8,100 Views)

Justin,

 

I wanted to reply to your post.  I occasionally read the Verizon message boards and I have constantly seen this question, in one form or another, posted (regarding being able to only have channels that you subscribe to listed on your guide).  And of course, the answer that is repeatedly given is that the only way to do this is through the Favorites button.  I get it, there is no other way to do it.  However, I have a few thoughts on why the Favorites button setup is not as great as Verizion tries to make it sound.

 

First off, if this question comes up repeatedly, perhaps Verizon should look into having a way to filter out channels that you do not subscribe to without having to go through Favorites.  I used to have Directv.  They had a Favorites button.  They also had a setup where you could filter out the channels you did not subscribe to.

 

Now, why does this way work better?  Because, quite simply, when the cable or satellite company decides to add channels, delete channels, or move channels to another number, this filter does it for you.  You don't have to go into Favorites each time and delete a channel you no longer have, add other channels you get, or add a channel when a number has been changed.

 

You may be asking, what is the big deal?  Just go into Favorites and make the changes.  It doesn't take long.  You are right, it doesn't.  But that assumes that Verizon customers get the messages on time that channels have been moved, deleted, added, etc.  How does Verizon do this?  Through their message system of course.  What is wrong with the message system?  Glad you asked.  Verizon's message system is, in one word, HORRIBLE!  I have never had a TV company where getting messages is so hard.  First off, Verizon refuses to have a message light indicator show up on you STB.  For some reason, this is too hard.  Or, too many people complained about seeing a light on their STB constantly and they did not know what it was.  So Verizon doesn't provide one anymore.  I don't know the real reason.  However, I can't imagine it would be so hard to allow for a message light, and for those that don't like that, to allow the customer to shut off this function by going into the Menu features and turning this off.

 

The second problem I have with the message system is that I never get an indication on my messages that I have a "new message."  I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but when I go into the Menu function, and scroll down to Messages, I have read elsewhere that it should say "New" and there should be some sort of envelope icon next to Messages.  I don't get a "New" message indicator nor do I get an envelope showing me there is a new message.  So, normally, I find out about channel changes when I watch the local weather channel to see what that day's weather will be like, and I see new messages scrolling at the bottom of the screen.  I will then check my Messages box and I will see a new message sitting there from two weeks ago, yet I never received a new message indicator in any form.  For some reason, you have the option of reading the message and then selecting something like "save as new."  Then, and only then, will I see it say "New" next to the Message option and only then will I see an envelope icon on the screen.  But I don't see that when I get a new message initially.  If I need to do something to turn this indicator function on, please, someone, post here and let me know.

 

I apologize for ranting, but I have seen this Favorites response too many times.  Maybe we as customers are being too whiny or too lazy, I don't know.  But if Verizon is going to refuse to have a message indicator light on its STB, they need to fix whatever issue there is with indicating that there is a new message available.  Perhaps others do not have the issues I do on my STB with new messages, but I can't imagine I am the only one.  So please, Verizon, wake up and do something besides shoving the Favorites function down our throats.

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,175
Registered: ‎08-05-2008
Message 4 of 23
(8,055 Views)

MiMeQu,

 

I have responded to your comments in the FIOS Channel Guide is virtually useless thread, so rather than post my comments again here please go there to see what I said. And if you want to discuss further, that is fine, either here or there.

 

Now, my personal opinion why you see so many posts here about this subject: the participants, especially new users, just won't search first before posting. As you said, there are lots of threads here and at other forums on this topic, and pretty much every one who starts a new thread on the subject has never bothered to search before posting. If they did they most likely would have found previous threads. But I guess they are so focused on asking their question that they just don't want to take the time to search. It is unfortunate but I guess to be expected. Again, just MHO.

 

The moderators here plus some other contributors are trying to figure out how to get people, especially new users, to search before they create a new thread; if you have any suggestions I am sure they would love to hear them.

 

__________________________________
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
QIP6416-P1, IMG 1.7.1, Build 09.97
Keller, TX 76248

Contributor Tsippora
Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-31-2011
Message 5 of 23
(4,444 Views)

I am  a new Verizon TV customer, having switched from Direct TV.  Verizon should know that it is very likely I will leave their service for this reason only.  My family is beyond frustrated at having to constantly search through channels.  I spent an hour setting up a favorites button - but once done you cannot just remove one channel - you need to start all over again.  AND you need to do it on every television!!!

I am convinced that the only reason Verizon doesn't provide this customer service feature is that they are trying to sell more channels - all they are doing is frustrating their users.  Trust me, everyone that asks me about the service hears an earful from me about this.

 

Also - I cannot even figure out how to find out what channels I subscribe to without trying each one and seeing if it works!!!!!

 

One very, very disappointed customer,

 

Tsippora

Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V
Posts: 1,692
Registered: ‎05-17-2009
Message 6 of 23
(4,430 Views)

@Tsippora wrote:

  I spent an hour setting up a favorites button - but once done you cannot just remove one channel - you need to start all over again.  AND you need to do it on every television!!!

I am convinced that the only reason Verizon doesn't provide this customer service feature is that they are trying to sell more channels - all they are doing is frustrating their users.  Trust me, everyone that asks me about the service hears an earful from me about this.

 

Tsippora



Of course you can remove one channel at a time if you want. Its VERY easy. Just go into the Favorites Setup, highlight the channel you want to remove and hit OK, it will then ask if you are sure you want to delete that one channel. I do it all the time.

 

And of course you have to do it on each STB, This is a custom setting. It wouldnt be any good if my favorites affected my girlfriends favorites. Each box has its own custom settings.

 

Verizons guide is universal, it contains all the channels they carry. They created the favorites list so that each and every person can customize the guide to their own likes and dislikes.

 

Just be glad Verizon doesnt put all the ads in the guide like the other providers. At least Verizons guide is strickly a guide and not full of advertisements.




====================================================================================

Error exists between keyboard and chair.
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,175
Registered: ‎08-05-2008
Message 7 of 23
(4,418 Views)

@spacedebris wrote:

@Tsippora wrote:

  I spent an hour setting up a favorites button - but once done you cannot just remove one channel - you need to start all over again.  (Incorrect) AND you need to do it on every television!!! (True)

I am convinced that the only reason Verizon doesn't provide this customer service feature is that they are trying to sell more channels - all they are doing is frustrating their users.  Trust me, everyone that asks me about the service hears an earful from me about this.

 

Tsippora



Of course you can remove one channel at a time if you want. Its VERY easy. Just go into the Favorites Setup, highlight the channel you want to remove and hit OK, it will then ask if you are sure you want to delete that one channel. I do it all the time.

 

And of course you have to do it on each STB, This is a custom setting. It wouldnt be any good if my favorites affected my girlfriends favorites. Each box has its own custom settings.

 

Verizons guide is universal, it contains all the channels they carry. They created the favorites list so that each and every person can customize the guide to their own likes and dislikes.

 

Just be glad Verizon doesnt put all the ads in the guide like the other providers. At least Verizons guide is strickly a guide and not full of advertisements.


Actually it is even easier than that. Smiley Very Happy

 

When you are tuned to a channel that you want to either add to or delete from a Favorites list, just hit the Options button on the remote, scroll down to Favorites, hit the Right Arrow button, select the desired Favorites list, and hit the OK button. If the channel is already in the selected Favorites list it will be removed, if it isn't it will be added. This will work whether the list already exists or not, so you can actually just create a list one entry at a time if that is what you want to do.


Generally though, the first step is to create the Favorites lists themselves, either 1 or 2 or both. Here is a link to a thread I started back in late 2008 (valid for 1.8 level of the IMG that most of us still have, mostly probably still valid for 1.9 but I don't have 1.9 so I cannot verify) which documents most of the functions available for setting up and managing Favorites, along with some tips for using various buttons and options on the remote that may not be immediately obvious:

 

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Exploiting-FiOS-TV-Favorites-IMG-1-8/m-p/9...

 

Included in the first post is a link to a PDF I wrote with details.

 

In addition, if you don't like programming Favorites via the Menu on the DVR, you do have the option to program your Favorites via the web (DVR only):

 

https://www36.verizon.com/fiostv/web/members/Favorites.aspx

 

Is it the best system ever created? Probably not, but it really works pretty well if you just take a few minutes to work with it. And on 1.9 it is supposed to be even better.

 

__________________________________
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
QIP7232, IMG 1.8, Build 02.54
Keller, TX 76248

Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,325
Registered: ‎08-05-2008
Message 8 of 23
(4,409 Views)

 


@Tsippora wrote:

I am  a new Verizon TV customer, having switched from Direct TV.  Verizon should know that it is very likely I will leave their service for this reason only. 

One very, very disappointed customer,

 

Tsippora


Actually, if you can be patient and wait for the latest STB software (IMG 1.9) being rolled out there is a mode that allows you to filter the guide by your subscribed channels and have that mode as the default.  Unfortunately no one can say when the rollout will resume and when a given area will get the new version.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Contributor wklink
Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎06-16-2011
Message 9 of 23
(4,185 Views)
> Now, my personal opinion why you see so many posts here about this subject: the participants, especially new users, just won't search first before posting.

No, I think you're wrong. The real reason people keep asking is because they just CAN'T BELIEVE it to be true. You should just remove the "channel up/channel down" buttons from the remote as they are completely useless with FiOS. No one will flip through hundreds and hundreds of channels (half of which are HD repeats of the SD channels). TV surfing doesn't work like that.

As others mentioned, when you set up "favorites" under DirecTV, channel up/channel down scroll through the currently-selected favorites. You aren't required to use the channel guide to surf. You can set up favorites for up to 4 groups (if I recall correctly), as well as "All Subscribed" and "ALL channels".

Far more importantly, under DirecTV, you could create your favorite list and start with "Add subscribed channels". I can't even do THAT with FiOS. As I populated my favorites, I never could tell if a channel was something that was even available without trying it. And with all the HD channels as repeats of SD channels, I had to constantly flip around to see if there was an HD version of each channel. And then I had to do it all over again for every TV.

The question isn't "why do people keep asking for it," the question is "why can't Verizon see this is a problem?"
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,175
Registered: ‎08-05-2008
Message 10 of 23
(4,179 Views)

@wklink wrote:
> Now, my personal opinion why you see so many posts here about this subject: the participants, especially new users, just won't search first before posting.

No, I think you're wrong. The real reason people keep asking is because they just CAN'T BELIEVE it to be true. You should just remove the "channel up/channel down" buttons from the remote as they are completely useless with FiOS. No one will flip through hundreds and hundreds of channels (half of which are HD repeats of the SD channels). TV surfing doesn't work like that.

As others mentioned, when you set up "favorites" under DirecTV, channel up/channel down scroll through the currently-selected favorites. You aren't required to use the channel guide to surf. You can set up favorites for up to 4 groups (if I recall correctly), as well as "All Subscribed" and "ALL channels".

Far more importantly, under DirecTV, you could create your favorite list and start with "Add subscribed channels". I can't even do THAT with FiOS. As I populated my favorites, I never could tell if a channel was something that was even available without trying it. And with all the HD channels as repeats of SD channels, I had to constantly flip around to see if there was an HD version of each channel. And then I had to do it all over again for every TV.

The question isn't "why do people keep asking for it," the question is "why can't Verizon see this is a problem?"

If you would bother to try to understand how Favorites can be set up with FiOS, you would find that you can do exactly that. Interested? Then do some research. Here might be a starting point (don't get all hot and bothered by the link, it was the only place I had available to store the PDF when I wrote it two+ years ago):

 

http://www.lakekiowatx.com/picture/fios_favorites.pdf

 

Now, if it really is that difficult to figure out which channels you are subscribed to and which you are not, why not go to this Verizon site:

 

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSTV/Overview.htm#channels

 

Enter your zip code, then sort the list however you want (click on the option), and then use the resulting list while you program your Favorites on the STB. Or, for a DVR only, go to MyVerizon and log in, go to My Services ==> TV ==> My TV, then click on Favorites and program them there. Or, for any STB, start with an empty Favorites list and add to it as you go: on the STB, when you find a channel you want to add (or delete), hit the Options button, go down to Favorites, and select the correct list to add to (or delete from).

 

And finally, with the newest level of the Guide on the STB, 1.9, which is available in limited areas now and will probably be delivered to the rest of the country over the next several months, there are additional options for setting up Favorites. I do not have 1.9 myself so I can't give you details, but a "subscribed" option is supposedly included.

 

I have never had DirecTV, although one of my sons does and he and hist family are not all that terribly enamored with the Guide and its functions, but you know, it really shouldn't matter. Every one of the cable and satellite services is different, and if you switch, it is your responsibility to reseach first to ensure it meets your needs, and to adapt to whatever differences exist. Complaining after the fact accomplishes very little except maybe make yourself look foolish - instead, I encourage you to look for alternative ways to meet your needs. And if you can't do so with the new system, go back, simple.

 

IMO, the question really should be "why don't people even bother to look for solutions before they complain?"

 

__________________________________
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
QIP7232, IMG 1.8, Build 02.54
Keller, TX 76248

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.


Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.