Just Switched From Directv
TOperspective1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Only two days, but my initial thoughts comparing Fios to Directv. 

Fios Pros

• Picture is great
  • Price is great.  Many more premium channels for a lot less money

Fios Cons

• The channel guide layout for Directv is much better.  HD and non HD were grouped together making it easy to hide the non HD.  Channel 2, 4, 7 etc were HD.  All ESPN's channels were together, all Showtime channels were together.  With Fios the Channels are all over the place. 
  • No NFL package
  • The remote programming is terrible compared to Directv.   This must have been designed by someone who doesn't watch TV.   It seems almost everything with FIOS takes way more "keystrokes" than doing the same function on Directv.  If you want to delete a recorded program on Directv, highlight, press the red button and confirm.  With fios, highlight, press ok, navigate submenu to delete, press ok, navigate submenu to confirm, press ok.  On Directv if I record a sporting event it automatically asks if I want to add time to the recording.  With Fios, I have to record the program and then go into submenus to add additional time.   I could list many more examples of how much easier it is to use the Directv remote.  Also Directv incorporates many nice features into the remote such as a special favorites button that lists your six favorite channels so you can go to the channels that you watch the most instead of scrollling through the guide. 

It's early but I really miss my Directv.  I'm curious whether other Directv switchers have the same thoughts.

Thanks

Bruce

0 Likes
Re: Just Switched From Directv
prisaz
Legend

@TOperspective wrote:

Only two days, but my initial thoughts comparing Fios to Directv. 

Fios Pros

• Picture is great
  • Price is great.  Many more premium channels for a lot less money

Fios Cons

• The channel guide layout for Directv is much better.  HD and non HD were grouped together making it easy to hide the non HD.  Channel 2, 4, 7 etc were HD.  All ESPN's channels were together, all Showtime channels were together.  With Fios the Channels are all over the place. 
  • No NFL package
  • The remote programming is terrible compared to Directv.   This must have been designed by someone who doesn't watch TV.   It seems almost everything with FIOS takes way more "keystrokes" than doing the same function on Directv.  If you want to delete a recorded program on Directv, highlight, press the red button and confirm.  With fios, highlight, press ok, navigate submenu to delete, press ok, navigate submenu to confirm, press ok.  On Directv if I record a sporting event it automatically asks if I want to add time to the recording.  With Fios, I have to record the program and then go into submenus to add additional time.   I could list many more examples of how much easier it is to use the Directv remote.  Also Directv incorporates many nice features into the remote such as a special favorites button that lists your six favorite channels so you can go to the channels that you watch the most instead of scrollling through the guide. 

It's early but I really miss my Directv.  I'm curious whether other Directv switchers have the same thoughts.

Thanks

Bruce

If you have the newest guide version. you it will show if their is an HD equivelent, and you just press on button.

OK. NFL. No Answer from me.

Menus must get used to, a change is a change.

Favorites. Verizon has two sets that are only limited by however many channels you wish to add. Plus has a subscribed set of channels that only display ones you subscribe to.

Switch from directv and only miss one channel my wife likes.

0 Likes
charliewatts
Contributor - Level 2

Fios Cons

• No NFL package

HUH?  All the Showtime channels and ESPN's ARE grouped together on FIOS!!!!  What are you watching?

2,4,7 ARE in HD!!!!  Try looking at 502, 504, 507!!

NFL Package?  You paid extra for it with DirecTV, unless you signed up this year.  And then you would have gotten 1 free year.  But if you were paying for it before ... don't sweat.  You can STILL GET THE NFL PACKAGE, if you have a PS3 hooked up to your tv!  Pay for it that way!   http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/17/directv-teams-up-with-ps3-for-sunday-nfl-ticket/

So ... What are you complaining about?

0 Likes
TOperspective1
Enthusiast - Level 2

yes, I realize that 502, 504 and 507 are the HD channels.  The points is that the guide is not as well laid outl.  I've got non-HD only Showtime channels in the 300 series and the Showtime HD channels are in the 800 series.    My only real complaint is how many "keystrokes" it takes to do any recording, deleting, extention of time, finding an upcoming program, etc. versus Directv.  

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@TOperspective wrote:

yes, I realize that 502, 504 and 507 are the HD channels.  The points is that the guide is not as well laid outl.  I've got non-HD only Showtime channels in the 300 series and the Showtime HD channels are in the 800 series.    My only real complaint is how many "keystrokes" it takes to do any recording, deleting, extention of time, finding an upcoming program, etc. versus Directv.  

Too many keystrokes? Hit the Record button one time to record one episode, twice to record a series, I don't see how it can be any easier than that. 

As to the rest of it, I don't know how you do it on direcTV, have never had it, but I don't find it difficult or takes too many keystrokes. Maybe you are doing it the hard way instead of the easy way? I don't know....

The Guide is extremely well laid out IMO. Which channels do you want to watch, HD or SD? I want HD 95% of the time, all of the HD channels are together, easy as pie. Create one or two Favorites lists, include only the channels you want, like all HD in one list and all SD in another, or his and hers lists, or ?????, then one press of the Favorites button will change the Guide to another list.

Yes it is different. I highly recommend you slow down, explore all of the options, and I think you will find fiOS to be well organized and a great product. Just different....

If you have not explored Favorites yet, here is a link to a document I wrote several years ago on setting up and using Favorites. While it was written for an earlier version of the IMG, nearly all of it is still applicable today:

Exploiting FiOS TV Favorites

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Zombikat

Most of these things function the same as Directv..yet with Directv as with any Tech there are many ways to do the same thing.  The hard long annoying way my BF chooses to use or the easy fast way that I like:) lol

I am sure once we get used to the Fios short cuts we will know it like the back of our hand.  I have had Directv most my life along with all the high bills and bagage that goes with it.  I have Fios in bedroom because it was same price to get local channels with internet n phone needed for work.  I cannot wait till BF contract is up with Directv yet even if we cancel early we will still be saving money.  Called Directv and went to saves dept felt so bad for the rep he did his best but he just couldn't compete. 

0 Likes
sledneck88
Enthusiast - Level 2

Directv is the only way to go. This guide layout is horrible and DVR is primitive remote control! Back to Directv

0 Likes
fyrftd
Enthusiast - Level 1

Picture great -- Yes

Price great -- Paying slightly more and getting roughly the same service

TOTALLY agree that DTV had better User Interface and feedback. Adding to the concerns listed here over time...

• FF/REW don't display show in progress bar so you know where you're going
  • No apparent way to jump large segments while in FF/REW like DTV
  • Not clear how to watch multiple shows at once, jumping back and forth between them, without recording them
  • Having to turn on/off TV and STB separately? really?

Had FIOS about a week, but I'm sure more will come up...

There should be a transition guide...

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.