Re: Keep Fox25!
ScruffCurmudgon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Cable customers, and I am a FIOS Customer currently, and previously a victim of Comcast, must understand that when a broadcast station owner, such as Cox, who operates on a freely-obtained over-the-air license given by the Federal government, attempts to increase the fees it charges a cable company for portage, carrying on the cable, its programming, that extra charge is certainly going to be passed along to the cable customer.  What Cox is doing is essentially holding for ransom access to its over the air broadcasting.  The joke of course is that Cox, and any over-the-air broadcaster, benefits greatly not only from the fees it strong-arms out of the cable company, but more so because the advertising revenue it gets is dependent on the amount of viewership, and that obviously increased when the programming is available on cable.

So, tell Cox to go take a hike and get yourself an over-the-air digital antenna for $25 if necessary!

Bye_Verizon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was just thinking I was giving Verizon a bit too much money and was ready to deal with Comcast again.  However, I've been happy with the product (if not the service) so I haven't made the call yet.  I'd like to thank the people in charge of Verizon for making that decision for me.  If you really think taking a football game OFF of your service on Thanksgiving Day was a good idea I can't tell you how horribly wrong you are.  I will be calling Comcast tomorrow morning.  You just lost a customer.  

Also, I think it's a pretty shameless money grab letting everyone know that you can watch NFL games on your phone for an extra $5 a month on the channel that should be letting me watch football on my TV.  

Switchingnow
My husband is currently switching our service to Comcast because Verizon obviously has no regard for its customers for dropping a football game on Thanksgiving day!
0 Likes
TheBigPopper

Canelled Fox 25 on Thanksgiving? 

0 Likes
TheBigPopper

I guess Cox is a bad word to Verizon.

0 Likes
Losing FOX finally allows me to leave Verizon
bringbackfox

This is the last straw with Verizon and the outrageous bills every month. Totally messed up my Thanksgiving... Have to pay extra for bandwidth that will allow me to stream and still paying monthly for a G router. Comcast here I come.

0 Likes
Toze2
Enthusiast - Level 1
Babydole1, ask them to show you the contract you signed, you signed it based on the channels you wanted, when I go out and buy a vehicle and buy the turbo version, I don't think they are coming to my house in a year to remove that turbo from my engine!
0 Likes
bogofree1

Wonder why so many are cutting the cord.  So....I assume I will now get a discount on my cable bill thanks to corporate bait and switch?

0 Likes
Cutting Fox is cutting my support for Verizon
cutcontent

What a horrible idea. I just went to watch a program and what I paid for is gone. It is pretty bad that such an important channel can be just cut.

What am I going to get 20% back because they cut my service? I am thinking that another solution in my house may be coming along soon. I am totally dissapointed, and feel that I am being taken.

Higher cost for our customers - yeah right. It would seem that it is a fair market and should have been negotiated better if they can't afford what I signed up for. The cost should be going down. The quality is certainly going down in my estimation.

0 Likes
soxnut1
Enthusiast - Level 1

They real one's who pulled the plug!!!!

Despite reports that Verizon plans to pull the plug on WFXT Fox25 from FiOS TV on Thanksgiving Day, a Verizon spokesperson points out that the station's new owner, Cox Media Group, is the one doing the pulling. As in pulling the wool over viewers' eyes.

"Cox has the ability to remove their station from our network. We can't pull the plug; only they can," said Phil Santoro of Verizon.

According to Santoro, when Cox took over the station last month, the Atlanta-based outfit asked Verizon to pay a rate more than double the rate Verizon currently pays for other Cox-owned stations, and an even greater increase over the fees Verizon was paying to the previous owner of the station, Twenty-First Century Fox.

"That amounts to many millions of dollars," Santoro said. "They are threatening to remove their channel from the FiOS network if we don't pay it. ... We will not give in to Cox's demands for unreasonable rate increases, which could impact our customers."

While he did not disclose the actual cost, he said Cox is seeking a price substantially higher than what Verizon pays for the other local TV stations, such as WCVB-TV, WHDH-TV, and WBZ-TV.

Verizon has released a video on YouTube that explains the negotiation process with Cox.

Local viewers could miss the Turkey Day clash between the 8-3 Cowboys and the 8-3 Eagles if terms cannot be met. Sunday's Patriots game against the Packers will air on CBS.

A spokesperson from Cox Media could not immediately be reached for comment.