Local & FiOS ads interrupting program content
DrOneL

I've been annoyed the last 3 weeks by a local ad (usually for A plus computer repair) followed by a Verizon ad and maybe one or two other ads suddenly interrupting program content, causing me to miss about 1-2 minutes of content near the beginning and end of the show.  This seems to happen primarily during American Horror Story (10-11 PM, Eastern Time Zone, on FX).  Since I don't see lots of complaints on other TV forums, I'm guessing this may be localized to the Baltimore area.  Has anyone else experienced this with FX or other cable network shows?

0 Likes
Re: Local & FiOS ads interrupting program content
MikeNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

Only 3 weeks???  That crap started here in NJ last year!  I only notice it on MSG; in fact, it's already happened once tonight during the hockey pre-game show, so I expect it to occur 2 to 4 more times before the game ends.  Call Verizon and log your complaint, it's about all you can do.  What do you expect for $100+ per month? Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes
SonOfFergus
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have seen this as well, over the course of the last month or so. Seems to be specific to FX, and it's very frustrasting. I am in the Baltimore area as well. I emailed FiOS support and they sent me to FX, claiming they had no control over this. No reply from FX after emailing them.

I'd just appreciate an answer on "who" is ultimately responsible for this. It seems like the interrupting ads always feature at least 1 verizon ad (e.g. for an on demand show, or for their home control service) coupled with some local/regional ads.

0 Likes
sinz
Enthusiast - Level 1

@SonOfFergus wrote:

I have seen this as well, over the course of the last month or so. Seems to be specific to FX, and it's very frustrasting. I am in the Baltimore area as well. I emailed FiOS support and they sent me to FX, claiming they had no control over this. No reply from FX after emailing them.

I'd just appreciate an answer on "who" is ultimately responsible for this. It seems like the interrupting ads always feature at least 1 verizon ad (e.g. for an on demand show, or for their home control service) coupled with some local/regional ads.

I agree they can't just play the ball on to their content providers - after all it is FIOS commercials we are forced to watch. In NJ we see it alot on the MSG channels - sometimes up to 3 times during play in hockeygames - very frustrating!

I hope we will see an official reply from Verizon about what they are going to do about it.... 

0 Likes
sinz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Guys there is a online petition you can sign to help raise awereness about this problem: 

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fios-commercial-cut-off/

0 Likes
DavidJS1
This has been incredibly annoying. I have signed the petition, but I'm also doing one more thing: I'm keeping a record of each sponsor in these ads, and I'm contacting them directly and individually to inform them that I'll never use their products as long as they are advertised through Verizon, and I'm discouraging everyone I know from using these products as well. Notice to US Tax Shield, Glucosulin, ViaMedia, Invent Help, etc, etc. I suggest you contact these sponsors as well.

It's bad enough that Verizon doesn't carry the HD versions of these channels, but to interrupt the programming as well?!
0 Likes
DLynch3

I have been experiencing the same problem mainly since FIOS switched to the new guide format.  I am in the Baltimore area.  It has been occurring most frequently on FX, but I don't watch all of the stations, so I have no idea as to what other stations may be affected. 

I called FIOS technical support last night about the issue and I was told that I was the first customer to complain about the problem.   I asked whether there could be a "glitch" in their network.  They refused to acknowledge that there may be a problem with commercials interrupting programs in progress, and I was essentially told that a glitch cannot be fixed if there is no glitch.  They suggested that I reset my box to solve the problem.  I explained that I have reset my box numerous times and that this has not solved the problem.  When I asked to speak to the network technician, I was told that I could not speak to the technician because the support person communicates with the network technician through a computer.  Since verizon refused to even acknowledge that I was experiencing a problem, the solution was simply to call back and repeat my complaint when it happens again.  I explained how this solution solves nothing.

I really just want to be able to watch tv without issue.  I never complain or call about minor problems, but this is really very frustrating, especially when you pay so much for what is supposed to be what all the interrupting commercials tell you is a cadillac service. 

I feel like verizon is going out of its way to make me very angry.  This is obviously a system-wide problem that verizon needs to acknowledge and fix.

0 Likes
DavidJS1

"I was told that I was the first customer to complain about the problem."

Yeah, right.  I have been having an ongoing email "conversation" with them for a while now.  They continue to just stonewall.  I believe the only effective action is to keep track of the sponsors that are advertised on these interrupting spots, and contact them individually to tell them you'll never use their products as long as they advertise with Verizon.  That's what I'm doing.  (Not that it seems to be helping anything).

0 Likes
tcelline

This has been happening to me for weeks now and it's incredibly obnoxious. I too live in Baltimore and watch American Horror Story. Like clockwork, the ads cut 4 extra minutes of the show out every week. Usually one around 10:10pm and then closer to 10:48-10:50pm. Each one is about 2 minutes long.

FIOS says it's the network? Then why are the commercials almost always commercials FOR FIOS? If you try watching AHS at 11pm there don't seem to be interruptions that I can see.

This also happened to me during Modern Family on ABC a few weeks back. Coincidentally both American Horror Story and Modern Family are programs not available on FIOS free on demand so I cannot watch them over.

When I called Verizon they said they could try resetting my box. They remotely restarted it but I have already had the same problem.

Are there any Verizon FIOS people on this discussion board that care to please respond to us?

0 Likes
tcelline

on the phone with Verizon right now.. they're blaming the broadcaster. Trying to see if I might be allowed to speak with the technician but the woman is already making excuses up about why he or she might be "too busy." She said the broadcaster can choose to insert the commercials whenever they want. I find it hard to believe that FX would choose to insert Verizon FIOS that cut the content of their shows.

0 Likes