NBC Boston
Gweagraff
Enthusiast - Level 2
I'm not sure how many people here are aware of this, but there are changes coming to the Boston TV market. As of January 1, WHDH will no longer be an NBC affiliate, but it will be independent. Instead, there will be a new network called NBC Boston. It will be seen over the air on virtual channel 8.1 which is a low power station in Boston, and also on 60.2 from Merrimack, NH. Comcast will be carrying the channel on channel 10/810.

But what about us Verizon FiOS customers? Are we going to get to see it? If so, where will it be on the lineup? I sure hope we end up getting it and I don't see why we wouldn't.
0 Likes
Re: NBC Boston
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is mainly a user supported forum.

If the station already exists, I would contact them to see if they will say what their plans are for FiOS.

0 Likes
kdex86
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon just added the future NBC Boston station (WBTS) on channels 16 (SD) and 516 (HD).  Hope that helps.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably as part their service expansion in the Boston area.

0 Likes
Gweagraff
Enthusiast - Level 2
I'm getting it but for some reason if I tune into 516 it automatically goes to 513, which is NECN. Right now, programming is mostly the same. I wonder if this will change on January 1 when NBC Boston officially launches.
0 Likes
Gweagraff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just heard a rumor that it will be moving to 510 in early January, and Telemundo will move to 514.

0 Likes
How5
Enthusiast - Level 1

That happens because they don't have that channel( 516) in the system as HD even though it is. They know about it, but like everything else with them it likely won't get fixed.

0 Likes
rickc1296
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in Bristol County.  We have always had the Providence stations and the Boston Stations.  I watch Boston Stations because I love in Massachusetts and Boston news talks about my politics.  I started with FIOS when it first got here.  No FOX 25 then and STILL no FOX 25.  Now, no NBC Boston.  Verizon, you need to get off your hands and get these channels on for us, otherwise, Comcast is looking good. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wasn't there a change in Boston as to which channel carried NBC programming?

I thought others had posted that Verizon carried that channel.

its possible that local channels either don't want to be carried in your area, another channel doesn't allow their content to be carried or Verizon and those channels can't come to terms on price to be paid.

0 Likes
kdex86
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon does carry Fox 25 in both SD and HD in Bristol County, on Channels 21 and 521.  But they do not carry NBC Boston in that area, even though the rest of Eastern Massachusetts gets that station.  Comcast doesn't carry NBC Boston in Bristol County either, despite the fact that Comcast owns NBC!

All signs point to NBC Boston deliberately choosing not to make the channel available on Comcast/Verizon systems in that area claiming they're part of the Providence TV market, much to the chagrin of residents in that area.

0 Likes