NBC sports app local blackout
PhillyFan2

I have a second home in Florida I used to be able to stream Philly sports teams using the NBC Sports app.  Now I get a message program not available due to local blacout restrictions.  Did something change?

0 Likes
Re: NBC sports app local blackout
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its possible that NBCSN has added restrictions to out of market streaming.

Try contacting them for details.

PhillyFan2

I contacted NBC Sports and this is their reply:

"Thank you for contacting us. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you were able to access before, try signing out and signing back in to refresh. That error usually means the cable provider does not give access to the content outside of the region."

I used to be able to stream NBC Philadelphia Sports.  Now I can't.  Is Verizon still a participating provider?  I can still use the NBC Sports app using my Verizon credentials but not view Philadelphia sports teams.

I found this on the NBC Sports Philadelphia web site.  It clearly states: You will be permitted to access NBA and NHL content on PCs as well as on the NBC Sports app when traveling out of your home market, provided you are in the continental US.  It goes on to say:  Please call your participating provider if you are not able to access the stream of the game via your respective local NBC Sports Regional Network site on PCs or the NBC Sports app.

From NBC Sports Philadelphia web site:

Q: What is the NBC Sports app?

A: The NBC Sports app is NBC Sports Group’s live streaming platform for desktops, mobile devices, tablets and connected TVs.

Q: Can I access MLB/NBA/NHL games via a connected TV device?

A: Yes. Live streams of MLB/NBA/NHL games on NBC Sports Regional Networks are available via the NBC Sports app on connected TV devices after first authenticating your subscription. The NBC Sports app is powered by Playmaker Media and is available on Apple iOS, Android and select Samsung devices, as well as on Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Win10 and Xbox.

Q: Can I stream NBA/NHL games while I’m out of town?

A: Yes. :

NBC Sports App FAQ

Q: How can I stream MLB/NBA/NHL games?

A: If you are an NBC Sports Regional Network subscriber via a participating video provider, and reside in an area where you are able to view in-market MLB/NBA/NHL games on your NBC Sports Regional Network channel, you will be able to access content on the respective local NBC Sports Regional Network sites on PCs as well as on the NBC Sports app (TV Everywhere).  If your provider has not yet entered into an agreement with your NBC Sports Regional Network to make TV Everywhere available, you will not be able to authenticate and stream the content. Please call your participating provider if you are not able to access the stream of the game via your respective local NBC Sports Regional Network site on PCs or the NBC Sports app.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you having issues with all the content or just the games?

0 Likes
PhillyFan2

Just the games.  Flyers and 76ers.  I can log in through my Verizon account and use the app.  If i log out Sixer and Flyers games are there to watch.  But when i select one of them I get the error.  But when I log back in they're gone.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PhillyFan2 wrote:

Just the games.  Flyers and 76ers.  I can log in through my Verizon account and use the app.  If i log out Sixer and Flyers games are there to watch.  But when i select one of them I get the error.  But when I log back in they're gone.

If it is just the games, then it definitely seems they are blacked out. You could try subscribing to a VPN service and using a Philadelphia area server. 

Nocelts

I have the same problem with the Boston Nbc Sports App.  I can still stream on my laptop pc but not on mobile devices. This is clearly a Verizon error and has nothing to do with any real blackout. I spent hours with them yesterday and they keep falsely claiming it is an NBC sports blackout when that is untrue. They are seemingly applying the same blackout that legitimately applies to the tv everywhere app to the nbc regional sports app.  Best way to resolve is to replace Verizon especially as trying to resolve issues with them would take up much of one’s remaining life expectancy

0 Likes
B-dawg1

Are you using an iPad?  I get that in market.  I think its a bug but trying to get help is impossible.  **bleep** NBC.

0 Likes
B-dawg1

Are you using an iPad?  I get the same problem.  When I am in market.  i can watch on an iPhone but not an iPad.  Trying to get help with NBC is a nightmare.  **bleep** NBC.

0 Likes