Netflix fails to load
jclark42796
Enthusiast - Level 1

Received an email about Netflix being available through Fios, went to channel 838 and I get a "Widget Launch Error".  We are unable to launch Netflix..."  I tried installing the Netflix widget via the "A" button, but same error.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Jim

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Netflix fails to load
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

Netflix is only available on FiOS Quantum TV Equipment (VMS/IPC). Typically you'd get those if you subscribe to Enhanced Multiroom DVR or Premium Multiroom DVR

There are two ways to access the Netflix widget:

• Tuning to channel 838
  • Opening the widget view (the "+"on your FiOS remote) and using the left/right arrow keys to nagivate to Netflix and press OK

Here are some thing to try:

1. Reboot the router
    • For the G1100: press and hold the WPS button on the front for at least 12 seconds
    • For the MI424WR: Actually unplugging the power cable then plugging it back in (you don't have to wait any time to plug it back in) works better than the using the On/Off switch sometimes.
  2. Reboot the STB 
    1. Press Menu on your FiOS remote
    2. Navigate to Customer Support then press OK
    3. Navigate to Top Support Tools then press OK
    4. Select Reboot STB (You will need to scroll down to the bottom to see it) then proess OK
  3. Factory Reset the router than reboot the STBs once the router is online and you can reach the internet (use 2. to reboot the STBs)

In some cases, during a software update to VMS1100/IPC1100 the Netflix widget can actually fail to install and result in a "widget load error".

You can correct this without the assistence of a Verizon Tech Support agent by performing what's called a "Local Cold Init".

Please be aware a Local Cold Init will reset some configuration settings on your set top box (such as favorites, parental controls, and other settings) however it WILL NOT affect your recordings or any scheduled recordings (they are protected).

This operation will take the VMS back through the activation process where it will install all the files necessary to boot, this will include files for the Netflix widget.

This operation should not be done unless nothing else you have tried has worked for you.

If you a not confortable with performing this operation, please call Tech Support and describe the issue you are having with Netflix. They should be able to work with you in ensuring there are no issues that can cause the Netflix widget to stop working.

If the issue affects both your VMS(s) and IPC(s), in order to ensure the following process goes through smoothly please check and make sure the following things are met before continuing:

1. Make sure all IPC(s) are powered down by unplugging their power cable (Note if you already completed this step for an IPC you can leave the IPC your finished with working and mov eon to the next one)
  2. If you have more than one VMS, make sure only the VMS you are working with is powered on. (Note that if you already completed this with the first VMS, you can leave it powered on while working with the second one. Also if the issue is just and an IPC, you do not have to power down any of the other boxes.)
  3. If you have anything plugged into the LAN Ethernet ports on the back of your router (the Yellow Ports, ilistrated below) please unplug these connection for the duration of this operation. 

imageG1100 LAN Ethernet Ports

imageMI424WR LAN Ethernet Ports

Then do the following:

1. Unplug the power cable from the back of the STB
  2. With one hand plug the power cable back into the STB and with the other press the Menu button on your remote as many times and as quickly as you can.
    • Note: You will know you are successful if you see the word "RUN" on the display of the STB, if you do not see this, start froms tep 1 (Unplugging the bpox) and try again.
  3. Use the Down arrow on the FiOS remote until you see the word "COLD"
  4. Press OK to begin the process.
    • Despite what the screen will say, the process can take up to 15 minutes until you can get to live TV.
    • During this step, the VMS/IPC may as you to name it
      • Using the list you can scroll down until you see a name for which room the box is in and press OK
    • During this step, the VMS/IPC ask if you'd like to import settings (I personally recommend skipping the settings import.)
      • You can choose to skip, or use the arrow keys to select an option and press OK
        • It can take a while for the box to continue after pressing OK, please be patient
  5. Once all of the VMS boxes are working, you'll will need to do the same for each of the affected IPCs

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried rebooting STB?

jclark42796
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just tried rebooting the STB but that didn't fix the problem. I can run other widgets.  Seems isolated to the Netflix widget.  Would be nice if there was some kind of error code or log I could look at.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim

0 Likes
Mednixon

Is your tv a smart tv?

While I don’t have a solution to your problem, I am encountering the same error on only 1 of my TVs. On my 2 other verizon boxes, the Netflix widget seems to work. The only difference with my problematic box is that it’s connected to a smart tv. My smart tv has a Netflix app on its own, so I’m unsure if it’s conflicting. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Shouldn't make a difference.

Try swapping boxes around to see if issue follows.

Are the boxes the same?

Maldacht

Same issue here

0 Likes
jclark42796
Enthusiast - Level 1

Tried again last night, still broken.  My STB is only a couple of months old so don't know what the deal is.  Been using firestick instead.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume you have either VMS or IPC?

jclark42796
Enthusiast - Level 1

No, I don't have VMS or IPC.  The email I received from Fios said I didn't need any additional equipment:

Easily stream Netflix originals, hundreds of popular
movies and acclaimed TV shows right from your
channel guide. Access your favorite streaming
service from your channel guide. It’s super easy, 
and you don’t need any additional equipment

Set it up in just a few steps.
1. Go to channel 838.
2. Sign in using your Netflix credentials (or you 
can choose to open a new account).
3. Start streaming your favorite shows and movies.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

My understanding is that Netflix is only available on VMS and IPC.

Do you have an older model stb?