New FIOS TV Subscriber comment
Maniac32
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had FIOS TV for 3 days after disconnecting Directv following 9 years of service.

First impressions...

Nagatives... suggestions

1. FIOS Guide takes me back 10 years ago when I had Adelphia cable.  I dislike the minimal information and general design of the guide. Verizon... steal some ideas from Directv.
  2. Are there interactive channels?  Can't find any... I miss them!
  3. Lousy Media Sharing...
  4. No incoming call display
  5. Not much choice on Video on Demand

Positives...

1. Great picture

Generally unimpressed and somewhat disappointed in FIOS. I hope FIOS picks up the mantel and gets its game in order.  Shades of old-time cable...

One would think that us FIOS Internet, TV and Verizon wireless customers would have a more robust service with many more accessories.

0 Likes
Re: New FIOS TV Subscriber comment
LizJ
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I Just helped my parents install a Comcast box over the weekend - not a Motorola like I used to have w/Comcast and like I have now, but another brand, and their guide was extremely minimal and low-res. Pretty surprising. Both Comcast in my area and FIOS have much better gudes.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Maniac32 wrote:

I have had FIOS TV for 3 days after disconnecting Directv following 9 years of service.

First impressions...

Nagatives... suggestions

1. FIOS Guide takes me back 10 years ago when I had Adelphia cable.  I dislike the minimal information and general design of the guide. Verizon... steal some ideas from Directv.
  2. Are there interactive channels?  Can't find any... I miss them!
  3. Lousy Media Sharing...
  4. No incoming call display
  5. Not much choice on Video on Demand

Positives...

1. Great picture

Generally unimpressed and somewhat disappointed in FIOS. I hope FIOS picks up the mantel and gets its game in order.  Shades of old-time cable...

One would think that us FIOS Internet, TV and Verizon wireless customers would have a more robust service with many more accessories.

1) I guess the Guide is somewhat "in the eyes of the beholder." I view it as a great step forward compared to what I had with Charter Cable before I got FiOS TV. Now I think nearly every FiOS TV user hates the Guide data that Verizon gets from FYI Inc, it is usually incomplete and frequently wrong. But the Guide itself, the format, etc, works ok for me. But again, that is me, to each his own, and I think if you give it time you will find it is not as bad as you may think right now.

2) I am not sure what you mean by "interactive channels"? Can you give me an examle or two?

3) I have seen complaints. I have experimented with the Media Manager, if that is what you are referring to, I agree, pretty bad, as somebody here said not too long ago, "not ready for prime time."

4) Verizon offers a free service called Verizon Call Assistant (VCA). While it does not display the call on your TV, it does provide caller-id functions on your PC, as well as a website where you can view calls. I encourage you to get that feature if it is available in your area. And who knows, maybe something will appear soon that you will like better......

5) As I posted in another thread, I think this also depends on your view. For me, I have the $13 movie package, and as part of that I get access at no extra charge to a large number of VOD movies, both HD and SD. Plus right now at least, the Epix Free Preview is available, and it has a bunch of movies there. So there may be more than you have found, especially if you subscribe to any of the premium channels.

I have to agree with you about the picture!

Now, if you have some specific concerns/issues/complaints about the Guide (other than the quality of the data), or other areas in FiOS TV, if you will detail them, perhaps I or some of the others here can point you to some solutions or circumventions.

And welcome to FiOS TV, I hope you will give it a chance, In about 4 weeks I will have had it 4 full years, and I have no regrets, it is so much better than the cable service I had previously that they don't even belong in the same city!

Keller, TX 76248 

0 Likes
Maniac32
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your response Justin.

The guide falls short in many ways... rather than get into a lot of detail... just compare Directv with FIOS. Many loyal FIOS customers may not mind... but Directv folks who converted would probably agree for the most part.

Interactive channels means... on a channel the user has multiple view options (Golf Channel for example) to view live action for an number of top individual players at any time in a tournament, check scores, view scorecards for a player, etc.  There are a number of other interactive channels.. mostly sports... with similar options.. and the Directv list is growing. Its really an outstanding and unique feature for Directv...

I switched because of the annoying loss of signal in bad weather. That's the real reason.  Its not about savings... In my opinion Verizon has to work hard in a few areas to improve customer satisfaction...

1.  Expand free movies... somewhere there is a myth about the enormous amount of movies available (I think a lot of new customers get the impression they are free)...unless we count all the movies we have a pay a premium to view.

2. Improve the guide.. its not bad... its just lacking... (I hate cable look-a-like guides). FIOS needs to get creative here...

3.DVR is a little disappointing so far as available space to save programs (I suspect this has something to do with HD movies/TV programs.

4. Media Manager is... well... a waste of time when compared to other file sharing programs.

5. Widgets.... useless so far as our information needs.

6. Miss caller ID on tv...

I am a very angry former Directv csutomer because I feel like I was screwed after 9 years of loyal customer service when I decided to leave...(long story here). However, I continue to search for more out of my service provider. So I am here with FIOS to give it a try... for 2 years. Seems like the best deal for the dollar since I subscribe to almost everything. PLEASE keep working on improvements that blows away other providers...  FIOS as a great picture and fabulous sound. The areas above need substantial imrovement....  Unfortunately, I feel a little robbed having to pay a fee to see almost any movie we're nterested in.

Thanks for listening...  I'm hanging in there with FIOS for the immediate future...

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Maniac32 wrote:

Thanks for your response Justin.

The guide falls short in many ways... rather than get into a lot of detail... just compare Directv with FIOS. Many loyal FIOS customers may not mind... but Directv folks who converted would probably agree for the most part.

Interactive channels means... on a channel the user has multiple view options (Golf Channel for example) to view live action for an number of top individual players at any time in a tournament, check scores, view scorecards for a player, etc.  There are a number of other interactive channels.. mostly sports... with similar options.. and the Directv list is growing. Its really an outstanding and unique feature for Directv...

I switched because of the annoying loss of signal in bad weather. That's the real reason.  Its not about savings... In my opinion Verizon has to work hard in a few areas to improve customer satisfaction...

1.  Expand free movies... somewhere there is a myth about the enormous amount of movies available (I think a lot of new customers get the impression they are free)...unless we count all the movies we have a pay a premium to view.

2. Improve the guide.. its not bad... its just lacking... (I hate cable look-a-like guides). FIOS needs to get creative here...

3.DVR is a little disappointing so far as available space to save programs (I suspect this has something to do with HD movies/TV programs.

4. Media Manager is... well... a waste of time when compared to other file sharing programs.

5. Widgets.... useless so far as our information needs.

6. Miss caller ID on tv...

I am a very angry former Directv csutomer because I feel like I was screwed after 9 years of loyal customer service when I decided to leave...(long story here). However, I continue to search for more out of my service provider. So I am here with FIOS to give it a try... for 2 years. Seems like the best deal for the dollar since I subscribe to almost everything. PLEASE keep working on improvements that blows away other providers...  FIOS as a great picture and fabulous sound. The areas above need substantial imrovement....  Unfortunately, I feel a little robbed having to pay a fee to see almost any movie we're nterested in.

Thanks for listening...  I'm hanging in there with FIOS for the immediate future...

I have never had DirecTV so I am unfamiliar with those interactive channels. It seems interesting, but you are right, FiOS does not have them, and I really think this is the first time I have heard anybody mention them (but then again, my memory is getting worse and worse Smiley Happy ).

1) Free movies: as I said in my original post, I think there are lots of "free" movies because I have the movie package. But then again, I don't watch them much either, so it is not a big deal to me one way or the other. Hopefully it will get better over time.

2) Guide format: I think this one really is a matter of opinion. I happen to like it the way it is (ignoring the guide data problem, which is severe), but there are plenty of people that do want a native 16:9 guide, don't like the current channel being in a larger font, etc.

3) Rumor has a new DVR coming with more space. As far as I know, Verizon has not announced anything about a new DVR, but there are lots of rumors floating around.

4) Media Manager: IMHO still "Not ready for prime time"

5) Widgets: I use the weather and traffic widgets occasionally, the rest are a total waste IMHO.

6) If you have not gotten Verion Call Assistant, I suggest you do. It might position you better for the future, and in the meantime at least you can get call info on the PC.

I think it will get better.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
VZ_JoeD
Contributor - Level 1

Regarding Interactive TV.  Fios did experiment with it in the beginning days in certain areas.  Word is it will be making a comeback soon enough so hang in there.  Examples of interactive program would be a boxing match on espn.  If this offers interactive features you would be able to hit the more info pop up on the screen to let you know it is offered and then it would give you information regarding the fighters such as stats, last 10 bouts and a bunch of news and nuggets regarding that event.  There is plenty of innovation in the works..Enjoy the ride.

0 Likes
Maniac32
Enthusiast - Level 3

Joe D.

Thanks for the comeback on interactive channels. That WOULD BE a bonus!!!

0 Likes