No Canadian Channels???
FiosNewbie

When I signed up for Fios service including TV, the representative told me I'd get all the "local" channels we currently got on Time-Warner Cable.  Now 6 days after installation, I find no way to get ANY Canadian pogramming.  In Buffalo, NY area cable has always included feeds of CFTO, CHCH and CBLT to get the Canadian network news and programming.  I feel decceived?

1) Does anybody know about getting Canadian content?

2) Does anyone have experience with switching back away from Fios?  I understand I only have 15 days or I'm stuck on the annual plan.

Thanks, FiosNewbie

Tags (5)
0 Likes
Re: No Canadian Channels???
bigdaddyfios
Enthusiast - Level 2
Hey this is the USA not Canada therefore it is not a local station eh!
0 Likes
squatch1967
Enthusiast - Level 2

Similar slight disappointment out here in Seattle. When FIOS first came to my neighborhood late last summer, their initial channel listings guide had the Vancouver CBC station, CBUT listed but that has never materialized.

I wonder if FIOS is having problems with getting contracts with them or the local cable companies have exclusive deals? Or maybe there are transmission issues to get to FIOS? Just some thoughts...

0 Likes
littlebatty
Good theories squatch1967.  I"m concerned about not having Canadian broadcasts of the upcoming Olympics for the first time in 20-plus  years given the typically abysmal U.S. media coverage.  I heard CTV won the contract from CBC this year, but I haven't heard any news about a fios presence, so might have to watch it online.
0 Likes
skottey
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are willing to give up the goodness that is FIOS HD linup (all 26 HBO/Max channels) over a few Canadian OTA channels? I understand your frustration but I know TW isn't offering you as many HD channels as FIOS. If HD isn't your bag, than switch back for sure. But anybody who is an HDTV viewer knows that FIOS has the most channels in any market.

Maybe you can get a good roof antenna and pick up the Canadian channels. Or how about a barebones TW standard package that includes the Canadian channels? I'd keep FIOS and get TW as a secondary provider or move forward with instaling a good roof antenna. 

0 Likes
skottey
Enthusiast - Level 2

@littlebatty wrote:
  given the typically abysmal U.S. media coverage.

What?????????

NBC and all their cable channels are taken over when it comes to the Olympics! Universal, CNBC, MSNBC and more... they all have their share of coverage during the summer Olympics. They don't during the Winter games? 

Obviously if you are watching on a Canadian television channel it is going to be Canadian-centric. They aren't exactly going to follow US teams or individuals around with coverage. If Canadian hockey is your ball of wax, great, but I'll watch on US cable and watch US teams and individuals!

0 Likes
littlebatty

You're right, there is much better coverage, especially the last 10 years or so (since NBC?).  

I like the Canadian broadcasts because I like the chance to view sports which most other coutries but ours participate in (rugby, cricket, curling, squash). 

I know I shouldn't complain.  I should just make the two hour drive to Vancouver and see it in person.

0 Likes
freewill

We miss CBUT/CBC too in Seattle/Kirkland WA after having Comcast - so, this is the best way to  let Verizon know? Seems like there are LOTS of other channels that are getting more votes than from folks in the Northern USA who like Canada...

0 Likes
bigspank

I suspect it's either the Canadian channels not wanting to contract out to Verizon, or Verizon doesn't want to pay to subscribe to the channels.  It's rather disappointing because out here on the West coast, NBC will be tape delaying their primetime programming for the winter games.  Living her in Seattle and being so close to the games, we'll have to wait 3 hours to see the "Live" event.

0 Likes
MikeGD

My neighbors just informed me that they can get over the air Canadian reception using an outdoor antenna in their attic here in south Everett.  That might be our only option.  

BTW - I think CTV is the Olympics coverage network.

Verizon!

It's not too late!

0 Likes