Re: Ok, it's unanimous that the new guide is terrible, BUT WHY??
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for showing that photo of the TV Guide display on your TV.  I definitely see the difference between how ithat main menu  shows on yours vs. mine so that confirms the answer to my own question.  An analog TV has pixels, which is definitely one difference.  It seems minor in my case so I'm not going to make an issue out of it.

sxrd60 inch, I think I would agree with what the others here have said, that your problem is with your STB 6xxx series.  The 7xxx series accommodates the graphics much better. 

justin, it seems like even now, there are some people here who whine and complain about anything.  lol...I knew that with the advent of the digital TV era and the move to fiber optics or cable, that it would lead to more problems and questions, more petty stuff than we ever had with the antenna reception if you ask me.

Take care.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@questioning wrote:

Thanks for showing that photo of the TV Guide display on your TV.  I definitely see the difference between how ithat main menu  shows on yours vs. mine so that confirms the answer to my own question.  An analog TV has pixels, which is definitely one difference.  It seems minor in my case so I'm not going to make an issue out of it.

sxrd60 inch, I think I would agree with what the others here have said, that your problem is with your STB 6xxx series.  The 7xxx series accommodates the graphics much better. 

justin, it seems like even now, there are some people here who whine and complain about anything.  lol...I knew that with the advent of the digital TV era and the move to fiber optics or cable, that it would lead to more problems and questions, more petty stuff than we ever had with the antenna reception if you ask me.

Take care.

Questioning, you are welcome. About the complaining: to me, the sad thing is that so many now just post something on the web immediately without giving whatever the product is a remotely fair chance, then just disappear into the ether never to be heard from again. You never know, did they maybe change their mind (I suspect some, mabe many, do), do they just live with it, did they go to some other product, etc. They leave a bad impression which may really not be true. But anyway, we all have the right to express our opinions....

Shoot, I missed sxrd60's statement that he had a 6416. That clearly is the source of most of his issues with the Guide, because what he is seeing is most definitely not HD, the 6416 is not capabile of rendering the Guide in HD. If he has a Verizon store nearby that carries the STBs he should take his in and get a replacement, at least a 7216 and really a 7232 if he can, will be well worth the effort. Or he could go on the Verizon website and order a replacement, it will be pot luck what DVR he gets, but it almost certainly will not be a 6416.

FWIW sxrd60, if you go read the 1.9 Release Notes you will find clearly stated that the 6416 is not capable of displaying the HD Guide, period, so that information has been available for many, many months. I chose to replace my almost six year old 6416 that had performed flawlessly with a 7232 in anticipation of eventually getting 1.9. Cost me $40, well worth it.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

"About the complaining: to me, the sad thing is that so many now just post something on the web immediately without giving whatever the product is a remotely fair chance, then just disappear into the ether never to be heard from again. You never know, did they maybe change their mind (I suspect some, mabe many, do), do they just live with it, did they go to some other product, etc. They leave a bad impression which may really not be true. But anyway, we all have the right to express our opinions...."

Justin, I definitely agree with that observation.  It's sad but very common too.  I think lots of people just know what they want and when they want it and if they don't have it immediately, it's like the end of the world and some of it, in my view, seems so trivial.  I don't care one bit about TV channel logos.  Personally, I can be very stubborn and I'm not a big fan of change, particularly when it's thrust upon me through no choice of my own but I try to work through my initial reaction and work out a solution to the problem, even if the conclusion is to just live with it if it's not that important to me.  I'm not afraid of examining other perspectives and thinking about things first before doing anything rash, even if it means going back and forth and being indecisive for a while.  And yes, I very much agree with the principle of giving new things a chance before dismissing them.  And yes, we are all entitled to our feelings and opinions but I know from life experience that being demanding never gets us anywhere over the long run.  And actually, I know I have responded to some posts here with my own feedback and suggestions and then I won't hear from that first poster again.  Oh well.  I know I have expressed my own opinions too but we all go through life sifting through the things we can and cannot change.

You mentioned the TV Guide being HD.  I can watch all of my TV programs but what I see on the general menu is a minor limitation of the analog pixels.  I can see how the quality of a flat screen TV would be sharper than what I have on mine but I'm just very strong about the principle of keeping appliances and electronic devices until the bitter end, i.e. keeping something over the long run instead of junking it for the sake of change. 

sxrd60, I know you don't like calling customer service but your problem sounds like something that one of the TV techs from Verizon customer service can troubleshoot with you and resolve by replacing your set top box.  From what you describe, that shouldn't be a problem and you probably won't get charged for that.   Justin, I never knew there were Verizon stores that carry updated set top boxes.  I know in my vicnity, we just have the Verizon Wireless stores that carry cell phones. 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@questioning wrote:

Justin, I never knew there were Verizon stores that carry updated set top boxes.  I know in my vicnity, we just have the Verizon Wireless stores that carry cell phones.

Here is a link to a Verizon webpage that lists the stores that are FiOS TV stores:

https://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/General+Support/Account+Issues/QuestionsOne/84843.h...

I have no idea where either of you are located, but you might check the list and see if one is close to you. And if there is one, I strongly suggest you call first and ask if you can exchange STBs there. The web page I linked does not say that you can exchange STBs but I know that many customers have done so, and some of the individual state pages do say you can. And I have seen posts from a number of customers who say they have been able to exchange their old DVR for a new 7232 at a store at no charge.

Worth a try if you have an old STB.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
sxrd60inch
Enthusiast - Level 3

Justin-

Extremely informative posts!

Let's go thru it.

First off, your snapshot looks NOTHING like mine.  I like your guide!  Mine is squished horizontally, I do only get 6 channels, and I only see 90 minutes.

With a setup like yours I don't mind, perhaps even welcome the logo.

I obviously cannot count, missed "3".

Here's something interesting...If I go to Menu>TV Listings>Full Guide it tells me that this option lets me see the guide in a 90 minute window, the mini guide lets me see a guide in a 30 minute window.  Why would I not believe what is printed on my screen?

My #4 comment about the duplicated show is the same as your guide but not quite.  The "this old house hour" that is displayed in your guide is understandable.  In mine it is a completely separate channel listed about the description (which has the program name also).  It appears like a separate "duplicated" line.

There's no reason to continue laboring over this, it looks as though a new STB will get me where I want to be.  Wouldn't it have been nice to be informed of this from Verizon LONG ago, way before potentially thousands of people get PO'd about this?

"Hello valued Verizon customer-

We will be releasing new software in 6 months which will require you to replace your older, outdated receiver.  bla bla bla..."

I can't believe there's a way to transfer my DVR'd content, just an inconvenience we'll need to deal with.

Thanks again

0 Likes
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for that information justin.  I'm from NJ and most of the ones listed are a bit of a distance away from me, although one of them really isn't that far.  I may need to refer back to that in the future.  It's definitely a good idea to call before making the trip there.  But being that my STB isn't old and that it's doing what it's supposed to do, then I'm fine with what I have.  I don't think replacing mine would make any real difference, seeing that's just the way my TV is and after comparing that to your photo of your LCD display.  I'm sure you can order a replacement STB over the phone.  That to me is really the simplest because a new one gets drop shipped to your house and then you bring the old one in the same box with a pre-paid label to a UPS store to send it back.  I find that traveling back and forth is sometimes more trouble than it's worth, particularly if your time is limited.

0 Likes
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

sxrd60inch writes:

"Wouldn't it have been nice to be informed of this from Verizon LONG ago, way before potentially thousands of people get PO'd about this?  'Hello valued Verizon customer- We will be releasing new software in 6 months which will require you to replace your older, outdated receiver.  bla bla bla...'

I agree and I know that was my first reaction in the beginning of this thread.  That most definitely would have been nice instead of being left in the dark.  Somehow it doesn't surprise me with a large corporation like this.  I know I would have appreciated the heads up.  It's unfortunate that you have had to struggle to figure out what the problem was but at least now, it sounds like you are headed in the right direction and your problem should be resolved soon.  It's just a pain in the neck but replacing your STB shouldn't be difficult.

It would have also been nice too to have been informed that the display may not work as well on an analog TV.  It's unfortunate that I was going back and forth myself not knowing this.  Oh well. 

When I had my Fios installed, I didn't even know that I was being given Verizon voice mail and that there was a phone number to access that.  The caller ID I could deal with but I know for the longest time, I wasn't getting all of my messages because some would go to the answering machine on my phone and others would be picked up by Verizon voice mail and when I would call Verizon about that, their answer was that that is exactly what would happen if both systems were turned on.  So then to solve that problem, I made sure the answer button on my phone was turned off so that way, all of my messages will just go to one place, the Verizon voice mail system, instead of getting scattered in two different places.  And that was the answer and when I just bought a new phone, I have made sure that my answer button is turned off for the same reasons. 

The techs who installed my new system also did not switch over my ISP display on my Outlook Express.  I kept putting off that issue for a couple of years but eventually, I got on the phone with tech support to fix that. 

The public's perception of corporate giants not caring about the customers may not be entirely correct when it comes to fixing problems but it's understandable because in the end, on the broader level, it's about making more profits.  I just don't like the overall trend of this whole thing because think about it:  When we were forced to switch from analog antenna TV reception to the digital TV reception for really no practical or logical reason, the converter boxes were made available which turned out to be garbage, and which ultimately forced everyone who was otherwise satisfied with the analog reception to switch over to cable or Fios.  The digital display from the converter box was horrible and extremely sensitive, unlike the antenna display which was always dependable.  The switch to digital should have been a choice made available if people wanted it and if people like myself were fine with the analog, we should have been left alone.  And it seems like the whole attitude is that if certain people couldn't afford the Fios or the cable, then they're out of luck, which I think is unfortunate.  What if you're poor or if you're elderly and surviving on a fixed income or social security?  The CEOs of the Fios and cable companies are all profiting from this.  It's not really benefiting everyone among the public if you ask me.  And now with this new surprise with the HD TV Guide listing, that will probably encourage more people to junk their analog TVs (which might otherwise be working well) in favor of the newer flat screen TVs and we know a new TV can cost several hundred dollars.  And who profits in the end from those purchases?  The electronics stores like Best Buy and the electronics manufacturers like Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic.  So in my view, we're like a throw away society and is this really progress?  I don't think it is because who is really benefiting in the end? 

Of course another possibility is that many customers could switch over to another provider for cable all because of this TV Guide nonsense and if Verizon loses so much business as a result of that, that would force Verizon to make some changes, unless the feedback provided here really does make an impact. 

And it's unfortunate how this whole business with TV has suddenly had to be so important.  Even when I go work out at my gym, there is TV everywhere, not just on the walls but also on every single eliptical machine but when I work out on the eliptical, I keep it turned off because I can't pay attention to that while I'm exercising.  I don't need it.   

And even with all these features being thrown in like caller ID display, voice mail, and whatever else...if you order the package, the company is giving it to you and you don't have the option of turning those extra features down.  It's really a lot of nonsense.

I grew up in a rural area where my family would only get 3 network TV stations from the nearest city and you know what?  Even though we didn't get that much, we still got along fine and it wasn't a big deal.  And that was back in the day when I used to play outside a lot and when the obesity issue wasn't the epidemic that it is today.

OK, enough of my big speech for now but that really is how I feel. 

0 Likes
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

I was just going through my records to see when I received the set top box that I have now.  It's definitely the 7100 series.  The box that I have is a replacement that I received on 04/13/11, which isn't that long.  I could still call customer service just to confirm that what I have is the latest or if there really is a 7200 upgrade available for my set up.  If the only upgrade is for recording and for extra channels, then that's definitely not worth it for me. 

sxrd60inch, if you order your STB replacement over the phone and you receive it via UPS, hold onto your receipts. I kept my receipt to prove that I dropped off my old STB at a UPS location, I kept the tracking record from UPS's website to show that the new one was delivered, and I kept the Verizon receipt of the new one so that way if there is ever a question or a problem, i.e. if Verizon ever comes back and complains that I never sent back the old STB and wants to charge me for it, I have the proof.  I remember the associate at the UPS Store recommended keeping everything for at least 2 years just in case because he had a horror story this one lady who had her STB replaced and then a year later, Verizon was claiming to have had no record of her sending back her old one.  He said that Verizon has gotten better about that but I always air on the side of caution and keep records for a long time to cover myself.

0 Likes
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2
0 Likes
jjd1621

it's like the Classic Coke people have resurrectedtheir careers at Verizon

0 Likes