Re: On Demand
beaches2
Enthusiast - Level 2

How would anyone be able to or access/contact all of those "content providers" that are now, without a heads-up from Verizon, charging to watch TV channels that consumers are already paying for?  I want someone to answer this question ... why charge a consumer, and what benefit could it possibly provide to those content providers?  Why bother to have a paid subscription to a cable company who is providing TV services and make a statement for HD Extreme consumers ... Your subscription also comes with access to the full Fios On Demand library, putting over tens of thousands of titles at your fingertips.  It sure doesn't refer to PAID access to the on demand library!  Does Verizon even stand up for its consumers to make an agreement to benefit Verizon's service/paid subscribers!

beaches2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Right on MJNY!  Verizon sucks us into their product stating endless benefits to sign with them but then knuckles under when it comes to protecting those same subscribers & their contract!  There is no negotiating or confronting these networks but instead Verizon sloughs it off and puts the blame onto the networks & ignores angry consumers!  I pay over $140 a month for TV and Verizon will not even acknowledge or defend the high charges that are apt to go higher should folks get ripped off with added charges by wanting to view a missed broadcast due to travel, work, etc.  Are we paying for their services, including defending & protecting consumer rights?  SO wrong and it never ends with this company! They have a good product but now we regularly see another glitch hidden in their service and it all comes down to the dollar ... FOR THEM!!

MJNY
Contributor - Level 2

Please write to your attorney general.  They have a fraud section and I believe this is what this is. 

Im very annoyed as I depend on the On demand service. 

I cant imagine that the networks want us to give up their shows because that's the only place I'm going right now along with not renewing Verizon. 

Im not paying twice to watch shows. 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

First, so that no one will accuse me of it, I am not an employee of Verizon.

There have been posts that other cable providers have paid content as well.

What changed with this latest release is that free and paid content are now listed together. So you are seeing paid content alongside free content.

As for Verizon negotiating, if the content providers are charging other cable providers as well, what leverage does Verizon have? I would assume that VOD comes along with the contract that a provider signs to carry the regular channel.

Not sure how this is fraud. There is nothing in the contract (or even implicit IMHO) that even lists VOD much less that all of it be free.

Yes, it sucks that previous episodes are for a fee. But when you have content providers like CBS that are starting their own streaming service for older content, how else can they drive customers to use it if they continue to give it away for free on VOD? Or they have streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc) paying them good money for their services. As that content is typically delayed, it makes sense to me that you give a few recent episodes for free, but if you want older episodes, you have to pay, go to streaming services or go to provider site/app where they can make money with ads they insert.

0 Likes
On Demand
beaches2
Enthusiast - Level 2

After reviewing the channel line-up provided on my HD Extreme package, I have determined that almost all channels are charging or eliminating seasons/episodes to view on-demand!  SO, please explain how Verizon can dupe us into believing that this new 'pay policy' has been determined & controlled by the networks!?  I might rationalize my way around one or two, example The Weather Channel had a contract issue with Verizon and they are no longer on the channel line-up.  ONE station!  But this encompasses mostly if not all channels. Example, to eliminate an entire season for on-demand viewing is spiteful and takes our subscription rights for our Fios service to a whole new level ... a NEGATIVE level, and we are surely not getting what has been promised when we contracted their services.  They "changed-up" on the consumer mid-stream and it ranks as the poorest of business practices.  It is offensive to be duped and lied to this way when we all are paying premium prices for this service that has now been negatively altered mid-stream.  I have filed several complaints, as we all should, without question, to regain our rights to secure services that were promised to us.  Below is clearly posted on the Fios website ... consumer information on their "promised" features when subscribing to (my package) HD Extreme!!

Extra entertainment

Catch all the best sports action plus award-winning original series, must-watch movies and documentary features. Your subscription also comes with access to the FULL Fios On Demand library, putting over tens of thousands of titles at your fingertips.

MJNY
Contributor - Level 2

CRob what you just said is completely false. 

This is has NOTHING to do with how programs are displayed.

All the programs that are now being charged for were completely free up until this disastrous new interface for On Demand

For example, I pay extra for the Syfy channel. I watch The Expanse. Now if I watch a show of The Expanse on Demand it charges me the next time someone in my household watches it.

Guess what? I'm now giving up the show. How does that help the network? So do you think, really think, it's the networks? 

Another example: I used to watch old series on showtime and now they charge for the older series. All that does is prevents me from watching so I'm not going to get up to speed and involved in those shows. This move does not help the networks. But perhaps it helps Verizon for those who are willing to pay Verizon twice. 

If you believe it's the networks I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn. Please let me know if you are interested. 🙂

hope everyone contacts their attorney general fraud department. 

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They did make some errors, mostly corrected with the new VOD menu showing pay version first or sometimes only of programming.  Sometimes when it was also free, meaning that you had to be careful to check for a free version by filtering.  But it is indeed mostly the program providers that are setting what is pay and what is free.  Several such providers are pushing their own new offerings.  If you no someone using a different service, ask them to check the same programs.

One of the other cable providers does run its virtual DVR, which is different then VOD.  Several of the channel providers are or at least were not happy about that.

0 Likes
Re: On Demand charges
beaches2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon is a huge wealthy conglomerate that should be living up to its contracts to subscribers by supporting those individuals who pay a hefty fee to obtain contracted offerings/services by going back to on-demand as a no added fee feature!   I cannot absorb the theory that so many (most) networks are suddenly converging on cable TV contracts by controlling viewing privileges, overriding the cable provider!!  We are not talking about one or two networks but most networks that Verizon provides.  We are really to believe this is strictly networks, no support or negotiations from Verizon on behalf of its consumers, and it comes all at once?  It is to the network's benefit to allow previously available free on-demand television viewing as by doing so the network is exposing viewers to their sponsership many times over original broadcasting!  Overall this is breach of contract, both from networks and mostly from Verizon for not negotiating to continue to allow free and accessible on demand and conform to their consumer contracts!

Re: On Demand charges
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hate to tell you this, but residential contracts never mentioned VOD at all.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note how it never says free access.

0 Likes