Re: Paying for On Demans
Dontbegreedy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

There are still many free on-demand shows.  I really do not like the fact that Verizon is charging for stuff that should be free. I wanted to watch episode 2 of AMC Terror and it was $1.99. I just wanted to watch episode 2 of ABC Rosanne and it was 1.99. I can add these to the DVR and get them for free. Seems greedy and unnecessary.  This stuff should be free. I think it's a very greedy practice to be charging for this when we already pay for those channels. It's pretty annoying. Verizon....get your act together!

Re: 2017 on demand fees
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Before you switch, talk to someone on those other providers.
Compare a few of the shows you are seeing for a fee on Verizon to their provider.

I have checked a few and in thoses cases, the same episodes are for a fee on them as well.

If you find out, please post to share info with others.

I am guessing that you will find they are similar if not identical in episodes that have a fee.

0 Likes
MJNY
Contributor - Level 2

It seems more and more people are realizing this fraud. And I call it fraud because Verizon is charging us TWICE to watch. 

We already pay for these networks and pay a premium and then they charge even for recent shows. 

Maybe if enough people complain it will change. But after this as soon as I move I’ll never use Verizon again. They lost my trust. 

merlin96
Contributor - Level 1

I did exactly as one person above suggested - compared program episodes that Verizon Fios is charging fees for with the exact same ones of another provider, in this case Xfinity.  My friend checked her On Demand for AMC's McMafia, episodes 1-3, for which Verizon has $ - and guess what - no $ on Xfinity.  She also checked the first two episodes of season 10 of Roseanne, episodes which aired a mere 7 days ago, and again $ only being charged by Verizon.  I am sick of Verizon outright lying that these fees are being passed on by the networks, not by them.  And I won't even get into the Premium channel On Demand fees-- like when I'm watching old shows on HBO and Showtime, premium channels I pay an extra monthly amount for -- and episodes are unwatchable unless I am willing to pay again.  I am a long time Verizon customer and always favored them over other providers but the lying and greed need to stop or I will be leaving as soon as my contract expires.  Verizon just isn't that good.

merlin96
Contributor - Level 1

One more thing - the Roseanne episodes are so new that you actually can watch them online.  So if there is still any doubt,  clearly this is a Verizon thing, not a network thing.

I don't know how many people are paying for the episodes that Verizon is greedily charging for on demand, but it seems to me that it probably isn't that many, considering that there are so many other ways to watch them.  All Verizon is doing is **bleep** off and driving away its customers.

Please wake up Verizon, if you happen to be reading these forums.

0 Likes
MJNY
Contributor - Level 2

I’m not paying the extra fees. 

If Verizon wasn’t charging for OnDemand I’d be renting movies from them constantly but now I won’t rent one thing. When I want to watch something I purchase it on DVD. I’d rather pay $20 to a vendor rather than pay Verizon one penny more than I am. 

Lots of bad bad blood because of what they are doing. 

0 Likes
merlin96
Contributor - Level 1

I agree.  There are a lot of other ways to see the content they are trying to charge for.  You can watch online or through a streaming service, rent from the library, or as you suggest, even just buy from another vendor.  I've done all three but like you, I refuse to give an extra dime to Verizon.

I think it's interesting too that some of the things they are trying to charge for -- like episodes 1 and 2 from season 10 of Roseanne - can currently be viewed free of charge online on ABC's website.  Kind of makes it even harder to believe Verizon's claim that it is the Networks who are having them charge on the ON DEMAND menu.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@merlin96wrote:

I agree.  There are a lot of other ways to see the content they are trying to charge for.  You can watch online or through a streaming service, rent from the library, or as you suggest, even just buy from another vendor.  I've done all three but like you, I refuse to give an extra dime to Verizon.

I think it's interesting too that some of the things they are trying to charge for -- like episodes 1 and 2 from season 10 of Roseanne - can currently be viewed free of charge online on ABC's website.  Kind of makes it even harder to believe Verizon's claim that it is the Networks who are having them charge on the ON DEMAND menu.

Actually make perfect sense that ABC website would not charge buy On-demand would.  ABC gets direct income from any info and ads on their site.

Hearing that some are seeing charges for these on some but not all of the tv cable/satellite providers

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@merlin96 wrote:

I did exactly as one person above suggested - compared program episodes that Verizon Fios is charging fees for with the exact same ones of another provider, in this case Xfinity.  My friend checked her On Demand for AMC's McMafia, episodes 1-3, for which Verizon has $ - and guess what - no $ on Xfinity.  She also checked the first two episodes of season 10 of Roseanne, episodes which aired a mere 7 days ago, and again $ only being charged by Verizon.  I am sick of Verizon outright lying that these fees are being passed on by the networks, not by them.  And I won't even get into the Premium channel On Demand fees-- like when I'm watching old shows on HBO and Showtime, premium channels I pay an extra monthly amount for -- and episodes are unwatchable unless I am willing to pay again.  I am a long time Verizon customer and always favored them over other providers but the lying and greed need to stop or I will be leaving as soon as my contract expires.  Verizon just isn't that good.

So I checked around and got the following response:

Availability of content, in particular "free" episodes, is determined by rights negotiated with content providers. While in most cases Verizon has the exact same offer as other cable providers, there may be exceptions. Those exceptions can be caused by rights granted, technical capabilities, etc. As a result there are instances in which there will be differences in content availability across cable providers. The issue with AMC's "McMafia" was a result of one of those exceptions. 
AMC's "McMafia". We compared on our platform the episodes from Season 1 that are available for free vs what is available on Comcast's X1. The content provider (AMC) expired on Verizon Fios Free episodes 1 (101) & 2 (102) on 3/28 and 4/4, respectively.
It's possible the reason these two episodes are offered for Free on Comcast is due to the AMC Premiere SVOD service that Comcast offers to its subscribers.

With regards to "Roseanne" there was an error with those episodes. Issue has been resolved and those episodes are now available.
0 Likes
leafrom
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's a bogus response from Verizon .  The most resent episodes are not supposed to have charges.  For example  as of today 5/3/2018 the most recent episode of  Fear the walking dead and Into the badlands are posted for sale by Verizon while logging into  amc with  a verizon user name  allows  me to watch those episodes free of charge.   Mind you the previous episodes are still free on verizon's on demand.

This is either a calculated attempt by verizon to get more revenue or a profitable mistake.  In fairness there could be a reasonable explaination  like these AMC episodes. Are they scheduled for rebroadcast on amc hence the charge?  In searching I see those episodes are scheduled for rebroadcast several times this week.  This would be a much more reasonable explanation when dealing with AMC content.