Re: 2017 on demand fees
MJNY
Contributor - Level 2

I wrote to the attorney general and not one answer.  

0 Likes
Kengrush1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@CRobGauthwrote:

One way to check would be to ask a friend with another provider.

See if they have the same episodes for free or a fee.

I actually just switched from Spectrum, formerly Time-Warner, and they either have episodes on demand available, or they are not available for any given show.  But for all current programming, both regular and premium network shows, at least the current season, and often the immediately preceding one were available free on demand if you subscrived to a service containing them.  You NEVER had to pay for it.  If it was listed, it was free.  And, you could watch each VOD episode as many times as you wanted (what exactly was that plot twist???).

Fair use has always included the right to make one copy of something purchased for personal use only.  That's what free Video On Demand (VOD) does, as most networks now corrupt any outgoing high-resolution signal going go a recording device.  VOD was the fix to compensate for the loss of this court supported right to save one personal copy of purchased content.

Verizon has subverted this right, and blamed it on content providers.  Based on this legal precedent, they could easily demand, based on market share, that copies of subscribed to network shows are stored for on demand viewing.  It doesn't cost the provider anything, because they've already been paid for the content.  Where is the "fair use" copy??? 

DVR is not perfect, and mistakes or lack of advance awareness of a showing are frequent occurences.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@MJNYwrote:

I wrote to the attorney general and not one answer.  

You did try the NYS Public Utilities Commission? Try them.

0 Likes
Re: HAVING TO PAY FOR PREVIOUS SHOWS ON DEMAND YOU ALREADY SUBSCRIBE TO !!!
Kengrush1
Enthusiast - Level 2

NAME THE SHOWS TO WHICH YOU REFER.

0 Likes
Kengrush1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have FIOS at my main house, and just started Dish TV at the beach house.  THERE ARE NO CHARGES FOR ON DEMAND TV VIEWING ON DISH!!!!

Is that clear enough???

jonjones1
Legend

@Kengrushwrote:

I have FIOS at my main house, and just started Dish TV at the beach house.  THERE ARE NO CHARGES FOR ON DEMAND TV VIEWING ON DISH!!!!

Is that clear enough???

Try referring to the post you are responding. It would help.

because dish tv doesn’t charge has nothing to do with how Verizon Fios tv operates.

two completely different companies with separate transmission deals.

i would recommend if your paying on Fios then get dish tv at the other location and then “Problem solved” 

0 Likes
MJNY
Contributor - Level 2

Well, there you have it. 

Lol at those saying that all other carriers charge. 

Somehow i I knew that was fantasy. 

@Kengrushwrote:

Is that clear enough???

0 Likes
MJNY
Contributor - Level 2

Try reading the entire thread so you understand that others have been saying that all carriers charge. Then you’d understand the answer. 😊👍

@jonjoneswrote:

@Kengrushwrote:

Is that clear enough???

Try referring to the post you are responding. It would help.

because dish tv doesn’t charge has nothing to do with how Verizon Fios tv operates.

two completely different companies with separate transmission deals.

i would recommend if your paying on Fios then get dish tv at the other location and then “Problem solved” 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MJNY wrote:

Well, there you have it. 

Lol at those saying that all other carriers charge. 

Somehow i I knew that was fantasy. 

@Kengrushwrote:

Is that clear enough???

If you read the thread, there have been cases where the episodes available for a fee were matched on other providers. I have checked a few myself. Most of the time (there have no been one or two that were different) they were the same.

One thing that makes it more obvious on FiOS is that they group free and paid episodes together. Other providers don't.

So if you just check their vod, you may not see them.

Compare identical episodes. More than likely, they will be the same.

I can't say for dish or DirecTV. I have only compared cox and Comcast.

And my experience is that they are the same.

That is based on a small sample.

So some providers  may have different deals.

I can see where Comcast might have more clout or ability to spread costs across more customers based on the fact they are 4x FiOS.

No different than some providers offer different channels in different tiers.

But in no way is it fraudulent or illegal.

Don't like their offer, don't do business with them.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

MJNYwrote:

Try reading the entire thread so you understand that others have been saying that all carriers charge. Then you’d understand the answer. 😊👍

Try reading the part where folks are saying some providers charge and others do not.

again the individual providers have the say if it’s no charge or charge, on what networks or on demand. You cannot change what is transpiring except by trying another provider.

0 Likes