Programming Changes
francisquinnjr

I received notice today that effective May 6, 2013 the TVG and HRTV channels will be removed from the Fios TV Extreme HD package to consolidate TV Programming. Well, my only response to that is effective May 6, 2013, I will be removing Verizon from my menu of service providers. Farewell. 

0 Likes
Re: Programming Changes
pzimmer7778
Enthusiast - Level 3

They are removing even more from Extreme? Good grief!!!

0 Likes
steven113
Contributor - Level 3

Gol-tv is being removed channel 313 in may 2013

0 Likes
pzimmer7778
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe they are going to change the package name to FIOS Extremely Bare HD

0 Likes
eliqv

I think i was missing some of their bad news emails. I was finding the hard way that when i wanted to see a favorite channel, it was no longer available!!

How is it possible that we sign a 24-month contract for a specificl TVPlan/list of channels and after a few months and so often they just REMOVE the channels without giving some other(s) in return or lowering our monthly bills! This is ridiculous.

0 Likes
MercerNick65
Contributor - Level 1

Whether or not it is right is up for debate, personally I agree with you that removal of features and channels should equate to a reduced bill however, they can do it because the Terms of Service says they can and the terms of service is the contract.

3. SERVICE CHANGES.
Subject to applicable law, we reserve the right to change, rearrange, add,
delete or otherwise modify the Service at any time, with or without prior
notice to you, including changing, rearranging or otherwise modifying our
Programming packages, the selections available in those packages, the
Equipment, and any other features, products and services that we offer.

0 Likes
Mistaya
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just got another one today. They are taking ESPN Clasic and ESPN Goal line /Buzzer Beatter. Now I don't watch those but I am getting sick and tired of the channel removal. I am sure all are being put on the most expensive package to try and get us to go over.

0 Likes
charliewatts
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon (NYSE: VZ) began notifying its FiOS TV subscribers Thursday that it will move ESPN Classic and ESPN Goal Line / Buzzer Beater next month to its most expensive programming tier, the FiOS Ultimate HD package.

The telco will also offer subscribers ESPN Classic and Goal Line / Buzzer Beater in a premium sports tier, spokeswoman Heather Wilner told FierceCable. Verizon, which currently offers the niche ESPN networks in its Extreme HD package, said it will move ESPN Classic and Goal Line / Buzzer Beater to the new tiers on May 6. It will announce details about the sports tier "in the coming weeks," Wilner said.

Verizon also recently began charging FiOS subscribers a monthly surcharge of $2.42 to help cover the costs of regional sports networks that are included in its expanded basic programming package.

ESPN parent Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS) doesn't allow affiliates to distribute its flagship ESPN and ESPN2 networks on premium sports tiers. "The deal basically requires ESPN to be offered on the first or second most popular tier offered by the carrier," Disney CFO Jay Rosulo told analysts on an earnings call last year.

But Disney does allow Verizon and other providers to distribute ancillary networks such as ESPN Classic and  Goal Line / Buzzer Buzzer on digital tiers. ESPN acquired Brian Bedol's Classic Sports Network in 2000, and renamed it ESPN Classic. It flipped the switch on ESPN Goal Line / Buzzer Beater in 2010. Sharing the same channel on cable systems, it runs ESPN Goal Line during the college football season, offering live clips from several games. The network becomes Buzzer Beater during the college basketball season.

Moving ESPN Classic and Goal Line / Buzzer Beater to Ultimate HD and a new sports tier could help Verizon drive increased revenue from hardcore sports fans. Verizon CFO Fran Shammo told analysts last April that the company would tweak its programming packages. "We're going to rebundle certain of our packages to better bundle our content in order to make it more profitable based on the tier that you picked for us," Shammo said on Verizon's first quarter of 2012 earnings call.

Verizon already offers FiOS subscribers a $11.99 sports tier that contains niche sports networks such as Tennis Channel, Gol TV, Fox College Sports and Fox Sports en Espanol. It charges $14.99 monthly for Fox Soccer Plus, and $9.99 monthly for ESPN 3D. It also carries ESPN 3D in its Ultimate HD package, which includes every premium movie channel except HBO.

Read more: Verizon FiOS kicking ESPN Classic, Goal Line / Buzzer Beater to sports tier - FierceCable http://www.fiercecable.com/story/verizon-fios-kicking-espn-classic-and-goal-line-buzzer-beater-sport... 
Subscribe at Fierce Pharma

0 Likes
MrC8

ESPN Classic has been part of my package ever since I joined Verizon. Now they want an extra $9.99 per month for the channel. Enough is enough Verizon. You already are getting enough of my money each month. Why are you nickel and diming us? I will need a second job soon to pay you each month. This is the same approach that started the decline of once mighty Sears and Roebuck. As much as I like your quality, it is time to start looking elsewhere for my provider.

MrC

0 Likes