Recorded programs cut off
backdoc77

Not everytime, but often programs recorded using the DVR will end missing the last few minutes. VERY frustrating to record a program and miss the ending.

Anybody have this problem??

0 Likes
Re: Recorded programs cut off
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Unfortunately, many of the networks are not sticking to their published end time (and some are starting ahead of their published time - FOX most notoriously).  The only solution I know of is to go to the DVR menu, select Scheduled Recordings, highlight the desired recording, press OK and then use the modify option.  This will allow you to add time at the beginning or end of the recording.

Not ideal, but the only way other than to do a totally manual recording specifying channel, begin and end times (if you want to add less than 5 minutes - the minimum choice in the first suggestion).

0 Likes
davdes007

Yes, this happens all the time. With verizon, there is no fool proof way to record the entire program every time. The explanation I was given is, "Verizon is a phone company first"

I'm switching back to cable.., So I don't have to rent a set top DVR ($17/month X 12 = $204 / year) that is inadequate at best.

With cable, I will be able to use my PC as a DVR at a cost of $0.00 per month!!

Bye Bye Verizon  

0 Likes
backdoc77

Thank you!

That works

Somewhat annoying but at least we won't miss the end anymore!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

0 Likes
backdoc77

Yes Davdes, I thought about switching back as well but two things keep me with Verizon......the NFL channel (Time Warner won't carry it) and Verizon has a better bundle price (phone, internet and TV).

Out of curiousity, why can't you use your computer as a DVR with Verizon?

and what capture card do you use?

Thanks

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Another thing that keeps me with Verizon is that the cable companies are switching to the same requirement of cable boxes. The only companies that dont require cable boxes are the ones still sending analog signal from the central office to the house. But the cable companies are going to be forced to switch to digital just to remain competitive. They can get 3 times the number of channels on digital vs analog. Comcast has already announced this in Pittsburg and the local cable company where I live (Avenue Cable, not that anyone has even heard of them or cares) did it last month. Since they are now digital, they are requiring you to rent a cable box, the PC DVR is now not compatible, and they are renting rather than selling the boxes just like Verizon. You could switch to your local cable company to do exactly what davdes is saying and it will probably work for a while, but then you will be back in the exact boat your in now. For me, I figure I may as well get used to it now, instead of dragging my feet into the future.

This is not going to go away, and even digital tv's will not be a solution because the cable companies will just encrypt the signal for any non-local stations because they see this as an easy revenue source. Verizon is just ahead of the curve on this and the other companies are hurting because of the competition from Verizon. So as long as Verizon keeps taking customers, and dont be fooled, Verizon is constanty growing on the Video aspect where everyone else except Direct TV is loosing more than gaining. See that people are willing to pay for these boxes (with few exceptions) so they will do the same thing. Easy money, and those that do object, will have no choice at some point ( or be forced to third party systems, like TIVO and Moxie) but there are always those so they are figured into the plan. And the only reason that the local channels are not in this is that there is a law stating that the companies must send these free and clear, but there is no such law for the "cable" channels. And really, how many people in this day and age actually only watch the local channels? Very few. The cable companies are after the masses. Hence, every company will do this. Most have already started to some degree, with Verizon, Dish, and Direct leading the way. Comcast is following closely with Time Warner, Cablevision, Brighthouse and the others not far behind.

0 Likes