Release 1.9 Playback Issues with Older Model DVRs
mosby1

Is release 1.9 really fully compatible with older model DVRs, like 6416?

Since upgrading to 1.9 Build 10.95, both of our two DVRs (Model 6416) have intermittent playback issues. Approximately half of our recorded shows will not play fully. Sometimes they won't start at all (display freezes and then returns to DVR menu), but most often they play for a portion of the show, freeze up, and then return to the DVR menu. All shows display that they are recorded for the full, correct time, and we have plenty of space on the disk, over 50% available. I have tried power cycling router, DVRs, and the one STB to no avail. I even tried In Home Agent reset. This issue was never experienced before the upgrade to 1.9,  Is there any resolution to this, or are the 6416 models fundamentally incompatible with Release 1.9?

0 Likes
Re: Release 1.9 Playback Issues with Older Model DVRs
Adam_VZ
Contributor - Level 2

IMG 1.9 is compatible with 6416 DVR's.  The widescreen guide is not compatible but this should not impact your DVR playback.  If you're interested in upgrading your DVR to the latest version, the 7232, you can do so at the following link: 

https://www22.verizon.com/fiostv/web/members/DvrExpansion.aspx

Let us know or send me a PM if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Adam.

0 Likes
kajudu

It's interesting that the 1.9 system is compatible with the older DVRs, because I am having the same problem.  There is ample DVR storage room, program recorded for the required amount of time and the DVR freezes part way into the program and reverts to the DVR menu.  What's the fix?  I'm looking for customer service and I don't think the answer listed is a sufficient diagnosis of the problem.

It would be preferable to be assured that paying for the DVR change out would definitely fix the problem, but if you won't identify the problem as an old DVR problem, I could conceivably purchase an updated DVR and still have a freezing issue.

Your reply is appreciated.

0 Likes
steveo1950

I have the same thing, have ever since the upgrade. My wife is flipping out and wants me to dump the system - i am inclined to dump it for the TIVO boxes.   I have looked around the site, and so far I see no acknowledgement of the issue - which is obviously real and happening to lots of people.  Is there going to be any feedback?

0 Likes
mosby1

I haven't come across any resolution for this issue. I am still experiencing problems, although at a slightly less frequency. Currently, I am seeing about 25% of the programs we record demonstrating this behavior. It seems to be more acute when there are multiple shows recording concurrently. I can only speculate that the newer model DVR would not behave the same way, but I am not paying $39.99 for an attempted fix  to an issue 100% caused by a forced upgrade from my Service Provider. I'm going to ride it out a couple of more weeks and if things don't get resolved I will be looking to switch to Uverse. In the meantime, we'll be watching a lot of our shows over the Internet.

0 Likes
MarylandFiOSFan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't directly comment on the older DVR but I was having a lot of issues with my 6100 STB.:

1 - channel guide would not display in wide screen format

2 - slow as heck when scrolling through channels and/or menus

3 - no option to select HD in the menu / setting section

Calls to tech support were no help. The rep I talked to said he had nothing listed saying there were / are issues with IMG 1.9 and the 6xxx STB's. I spent 2 hours on the phone setting and rebooting the 6100 STB to no avail. He then said I could contact billing to request a swap (71xx for the 61xx) but there would be a charge since he "couldn't find any problems with the 61xx".

Ultimately a Vz rep on this forum PM'd me and said "we know there is are issues with the older STB's and IMG 1.9. However, there was no way to push newer STB's to customers when 1.9 was rolled out". She placed an order for a new 7100 which arrived in a couple of days - at no charge.

This solved all the issues I had when 1.9 was rolled out. I suspect  the older DVR is in the same boat.

0 Likes
mosby1

MarylandFIOSFan,

Congrats to you for gettting resolution to this issue. How did you get a Vz Rep to privately contact you? Was it from this forum?

Vz Rep,

How can the rest of us having what are clearly 1.9 issues with the older equipment get resolution at no further cost to us? I have two 6416 DVRs with this issue and I am not going to drop $80 on Verizon's problems. Can I replace these at not cost at the Verizon store?

Thanks...

0 Likes