Remote Control Functions
Ron_I

I've been with Directv for several years.  I have had fios for internet and phone for several years as well.  Finally decided to switch the TV.  I am saving money and I hope getting better customer service.  There were features that were available on Directv that do not seem to be available with fios.

1.  I would like to be able to skip ahead in the program guide faster than half hour increments.  Directv had 12 hour skips.

2.  I would like to be able to eliminate access to non-HD channels where both are available.

3.  In the Verizon store, the clerk, when showing me the availability of On-demand network shows, hit the remote twice and was in the network on-demand screen.  The only way I have been able to access is to hit On-Demand, Browse, HD, and then HD Free to access the network shows.  There must be a shortcut, but tech support doesn't seem to know what it is.  They also did not have an answer to the first two items, other than 'it doesn't look like it is an option'.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Remote Control Functions
Jerrold_VZ
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry to hear about your trouble. With remote.

• Shortcut to VOD (video on demand) can be accessed by pressing the star button on remote.
  • If you were wanting channels removed, this can be done by setting up favorite channel by using the heart button.
  • As for being able to skip ahead in programming guide, no update regarding when release for feature will be added.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

1.  I would like to be able to skip ahead in the program guide faster than half hour increments.  Directv had 12 hour skips.

2.  I would like to be able to eliminate access to non-HD channels where both are available.

3.  In the Verizon store, the clerk, when showing me the availability of On-demand network shows, hit the remote twice and was in the network on-demand screen.  The only way I have been able to access is to hit On-Demand, Browse, HD, and then HD Free to access the network shows.  There must be a shortcut, but tech support doesn't seem to know what it is.  They also did not have an answer to the first two items, other than 'it doesn't look like it is an option'.

number 1 and number 3, I can't give you answers on, but number 2 maybe.     

2. Exploiting FiOS TV Favorites or Verizon has their own walk through Set up your Favorite Channel lists - they don't have a way of automatically hiding the SD programs, but you can still accomplish that, by using FiOS Favorites, and that link has a wonderful walk through. It's a bit of elbow grease to do it, and most people find fios favorites more powerful that DTV's - and I agree with the exception of hiding SD channels. 

In case you find any useful info - here is some links as well that might have an answer or two. 

FiOS TV Welcome Kit

FiOS TV Welcome Kit  (1.33 MB)

Remote Controls

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Ron_I wrote:

I've been with Directv for several years.  I have had fios for internet and phone for several years as well.  Finally decided to switch the TV.  I am saving money and I hope getting better customer service.  There were features that were available on Directv that do not seem to be available with fios.

1. There are no 12 hour skips. But you can skip ahead 24 hours by hitting the Next button on the remote (to the right of the blue DVR button). The Prev button will take you back 24 hours at a time, once you have gone forward at least one 24 hour period (you cannot go back in time before the current date/time). The FF and Rew buttons do the same thing.

2. As Hubrisnxs said, the only way to eliminate the non-HD channels is to use the Favorites function. He pointed you to the thread I created quite some time ago about creating Favorites lists, I hope that will help.

3. I have no clue how he did that. Maybe go back to the store and get the clerk to show you, and then you come back here and tell us so others can benefit from it?

Keller, TX 76248

Ron_I

I appreciate the feedback.  Apparently I was not correct regarding a short-cut for the VOD.  I went back to the store and talked to the same individual.  There is some major modification to the guide that is coming ut soon, and that may resolve some issues as well.  Thanks again for the help.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Ron_I wrote:

I appreciate the feedback.  Apparently I was not correct regarding a short-cut for the VOD.  I went back to the store and talked to the same individual.  There is some major modification to the guide that is coming ut soon, and that may resolve some issues as well.  Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for coming back and giving us an update (and I feel better, I was feeling a little ignorant there for a while.....). What is coming is the new 1.9 level of the IMG. It is now available in a few areas of the country, will gradually spread to the rest of the areas. You will automatically get it whenever Verizon decides to make it available in your VHO. I think there are enhancements in the VOD area, you can find quite a bit of information on the new level in the 1.9 thread at the top of the FiOS TV Technical Assistance forum.

Anyway, hope you enjoy FiOS TV.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes