Removing non subscribed/ unwanted channels
drrich
Enthusiast - Level 3

When my HDTV was connected to Comcast through their feed and I could control it using the channel changer in the TV, the tv would bypass any channels presenting a scrambled image. Comcast saw to it that all non subscribed channels were scrambled. But additionally theTV has a feature where I could tell it to skip over channels I didn't want to see.

Now that I have FIOS my signal comes through the settop box and the tuners in my HDTV are not being used so all these features go away. Instead when I look at the menu system or use the up/down channel arrows on the remote I see each and every channel l've subscribed to and get warning messages regarding channels I did not subscribe to. This is a mess.

Is there any way - other than the favorites lists- that allows the customer to blank non wanted channels. My subscription is the HD Extreme so I get just about everything except the premium movie channels. By everything I mean I get multiple repeats of some channels.  Some channels show up in SD, HD, and several versions with various foreign language soundtracks.

We bought an HD set because we want to view HD, not SD.  We are not interested in hispanic language dubs, or asiatic dubs. And trying to read the menu when it contains so many no wanted choices make the menu less than helpful.

So I sure hope someone responds to this message with some instructions as to how these unwanted channels can be removed from the menu and from any channel scans.

0 Likes
Re: Removing non subscribed/ unwanted channels
Justin46
Legend

@drrich wrote:

Is there any way - other than the favorites lists- that allows the customer to blank non wanted channels.

NO! One of the major reasons Favorites exits it is a quick and easy method to accomplish exactly what you want.

Why do you not want to use Favorties? Makes no sense to me, I would really like to know why.

If you decide to give the Favorites a try, there is a thread right at the top of the FiOS TV Technical Assistance forum  here that describes in detail how to set them up and use them.

One or two things I don't think I included in that Favorites document:

1) You can just create a Favorites list and include all channels in the list with one button push, then remove channels individually when you want to by using the Options button on the remote, thus pruning the Favorites list gradually.

2) You can not create a Favorites list at all, but when you find a channel you want on the list, again use the Options button to add it, thus creating the Favorites list gradually. You would still need to go in and do the simple setup for how to control what you see when you hit the Guide button, etc.

You can create one or two Favorites lists, and the same channel(s) can be in both lists if you want.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
indianatime

>> Why do you not want to use Favorties? Makes no sense to me, I would really like to know why.

1) The user-interface for favorites is confusing and can be an extra button click or two - which for a task one uses almost EVERY time the remote is used, is frustrating to have to use to work around channels we don't want.   But more importantly for us:

2) "favorites" is not a viable option to make up for lackluster parental controls options.    We have a kindergardener starting to read, and regardless of the setting, Playboy, etc is shown on the Guide, with either the description or "Adult Title" shown.   Not even considering the accuracy/subjectivity of the screening itself, parents should have the option to completely remove channels from ever appearing and not just replacing the content with the tantalizing msg effectively saying "mom and dad aren't letting you watch this...."

Is there something I'm missing?   When our contract comes up, if Verizon still can't block channels from appearing, I might see if Comcast's can - does anyone know?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@indianatime wrote:

>> Why do you not want to use Favorties? Makes no sense to me, I would really like to know why.

1) The user-interface for favorites is confusing and can be an extra button click or two - which for a task one uses almost EVERY time the remote is used, is frustrating to have to use to work around channels we don't want.   But more importantly for us:

2) "favorites" is not a viable option to make up for lackluster parental controls options.    We have a kindergardener starting to read, and regardless of the setting, Playboy, etc is shown on the Guide, with either the description or "Adult Title" shown.   Not even considering the accuracy/subjectivity of the screening itself, parents should have the option to completely remove channels from ever appearing and not just replacing the content with the tantalizing msg effectively saying "mom and dad aren't letting you watch this...."

Is there something I'm missing?   When our contract comes up, if Verizon still can't block channels from appearing, I might see if Comcast's can - does anyone know?

Yes, there is something you are missing.

If you take a few minutes to read the document in the thread I mentioned, you will see that it is very easy (but yes, a little confusing at first) to set up the box so when you hit the Guide button you see ONLY your favorites, in whichever favorites list you have selected to be shown. Unless the little one hits the Favorties button (the heart button) and happens to leave it on the full Guide setting (which takes multiple hits), he/she (and you) will never, ever see Playboy or any other channel that you don't have in your Favorites UNLESS YOU SPECIFICALLY CHANGE TO THE FULL GUIDE or type in the exact channel number.

If you set the favorites up correctly, there is NOT ONE SINGLE EXTRA BUTTON TO PUSH, PERIOD. When you hit the Guide button, you will see a guide containing ONLY the channels in your Favorites, every time. 

Sorry for the caps, but I am trying to get across to you that you need to read the document and then take a few minutes to play with the Favorites function. And if you are confused, post here or send me a private message, I will be happy to help.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
indianatime

No problems w the caps, I understand.... 🙂

That was too straightforward - You should be able to barter w Verizon for free service -  they really need to upgrade their usability methodology - nothing in any of those setting screens mentions changing what the guide button shows. 

While this is now much improved - a left menu arrow push inside the guide will cause the ability to reinstate all the "removed" channels (much more likely to happen than a favorites button which now isn't normally going to used.), and keep them reinstated on subsequent Guide accesses.

So, I still recommend channel removal be added to Parental Controls to keep it locked out, but your method is a significant help! 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Hey, I like your idea about bartering with Verizon about usability  Smiley Very Happy I haven't seen too many people use the words Verizon and usability in the same sentence very often lately....what I did to write that article was to pretty much just sit down and push all of the buttons in every situation I could think of and see what happened.

You are definitely correct, there should be an ability to just remove the channels and not accidentally see them. When FiOS TV first became available what you want was actually in the product, but when Verizon took over the development of the STB software they dropped that. The original Favorites function wasn't particularly good, what we have now is much better IMO. Rumor has it that there will be a new release of the STB software later this year. I have no idea whether they will be adding anything like what you want, but we can always hope.

Hope it works out for you.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes