Renting a set top box!? Can't I just buy one???
cnelson
Enthusiast - Level 2

The rental fees for the set top boxes seem a bit absurd.

Can't you just buy a set top box and use it?   I see them from time to time on ebay...  Or does the exact box need to be registered with Verizon in order to work?   Anyone have any experience with this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Renting a set top box!? Can't I just buy one???
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

No you can't just buy one.  Verizon will not activate an STB that is not currently in their inventory.  SInce these boxes have never been sold to the general public any that are on the secondary market are considered stolen (i.e. not returned to Verizon after a customer terminates service).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

No you can't just buy one.  Verizon will not activate an STB that is not currently in their inventory.  SInce these boxes have never been sold to the general public any that are on the secondary market are considered stolen (i.e. not returned to Verizon after a customer terminates service).

0 Likes
cnelson
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well thats **bleep** annoying!  But I appreciate the answer nevertheless!

Farok1978

As a customer of Verizon I think I should have the ability to buy or rent these top boxes or DVRs. How about Verizon sells them! It cannot be argued that these items are stolen if Verizon itself sells them!

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Farok1978 wrote:

As a customer of Verizon I think I should have the ability to buy or rent these top boxes or DVRs. How about Verizon sells them! It cannot be argued that these items are stolen if Verizon itself sells them!

The FCC agrees with you which is why they specified that all STBs have seperable security (cable cards).  This was meant to allow STBs to be sold at retail outlets.  That was well intentioned, but didn't accomplish much since no STB manufacturer sells a STB at retail.  The cable companies want to keep their lock on the monthly revenue from rentals.  They undoubtedly make more on STB rentals per month than they do on programming.

If you want to own your own STB, you can buy a Tivo.  However, you will still have to pay VZ a monthly rental for a cable card and pay Tivo a subscription fee unless you get Tivo's lifetime plan.

0 Likes
franco4

I'm  currently renting a HD DVR set top box from Verizon. I just bought another TV and would like to have access to the same channels I currently subscribe to. Verizon will let me rent another STB at a cost of $11.99pm. Is there no alternative than to rent another STB from Verizon? I'm only interested in viewing the  HD channels I currently subscribe to and I do not need another DVR.

0 Likes
timkea
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think it is just shy of criminal.  I'm really upset at how much Verizon charges.  So my next question is who out there provides good service at a good price and doesn't require raping the customer with rediculous monthly rental fees.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes