Re: SEC Network/sports networks
deweesw
Enthusiast - Level 1

Lots of smoke about DirecTV picking up SECN this week.  That would give me 3 other choices (TWC, Dish, DirecTV) in my area.  I will cancel by end of this week.

Verizon FiOS video customer for 8 years......Verizon HS internet customer for 15 years......  Great product will not overcome lack of desired programming.....

0 Likes
jlpreston2

I too will dump FiOS for DISH or Directv if the SEC Network is not available.  Since the first game is 8/28 I plan on giving them until 8/14 then my 6 receivers will be gone.

0 Likes
unhappy-camper
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tick Tock Verizon.

I really don't mind just keeping FIOS internet and going back to TWC for TV.  I'm sure they will be happy to see me.  I don't have a contract.

dorjwill
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is quickly becoming an interesting case study.  I guess Verizon has a policy of not commenting.  But they have to be hemorraging subscribers in the TX and FL markets by their inaction and outright refusal to even acknowledge what their customers want.  Under the current circumstances presented by the SEC Network rollout (i.e.where most carriers have already signed on and even promoted the network), Verizon no longer controls the message or the rate card and they should have been much more proactive.

HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

Don't forget about Virginia.  We may not have any SEC teams, but we love our college football.

I'm paying Verizon  a bajillion dollars a month for one thing - sports coverage.  If not for sports, what is the point of even having TV service?

Well, not any more - I just called to order Cox.

@dorjwill wrote:

This is quickly becoming an interesting case study.  I guess Verizon has a policy of not commenting.  But they have to be hemorraging subscribers in the TX and FL markets by their inaction and outright refusal to even acknowledge what their customers want.  Under the current circumstances presented by the SEC Network rollout (i.e.where most carriers have already signed on and even promoted the network), Verizon no longer controls the message or the rate card and they should have been much more proactive.

uaphan
Contributor - Level 2

DirecTV just announced they will offer the SEC Network. Verizon is now the ONLY carrier that is not offering it!!!

This is ridiculous. IF I had a better option I would cancel fios today. Come on Verizon!!!!! 

0 Likes
deweesw
Enthusiast - Level 1

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/08/directv-provide-new-sec-network-august-14-2014/

Here is the press release on DirecTV picking it up.  Now everybody has multiple choices with Verizon the lone significant holdout.

0 Likes
uaphan
Contributor - Level 2

Unbelievable that Verizon is the only provider to not offer the SEC Network. What can be the holdup with them since EVERY other provider has come to an agreement. Makes me think Verizon is greedy and doesn't care about their customers. 

0 Likes
HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

When I called to cancel my FIOS service, I mentioned that I also wasn't happy with the lack of the PAC 12 network and we're going into the third season of that.  He then used the same line that they use any time you ask about the SEC network - "we're currently negotiating with them".  I wonder if that's the standard line any time you ask about any channel they don't carry.  When you ask about the SEC network, they try to make you think that an announcement could come any day, but we're going on the third year of the PAC 12 network and it's just as imminent as it was two years ago.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@HokieDave wrote:

When I called to cancel my FIOS service, I mentioned that I also wasn't happy with the lack of the PAC 12 network and we're going into the third season of that.  He then used the same line that they use any time you ask about the SEC network - "we're currently negotiating with them".  I wonder if that's the standard line any time you ask about any channel they don't carry.  When you ask about the SEC network, they try to make you think that an announcement could come any day, but we're going on the third year of the PAC 12 network and it's just as imminent as it was two years ago.

No.  ITs the only thing they have officially released.  Normally they have no comment.

0 Likes