Re: SEC Network/sports networks
JMG322
Contributor - Level 1

Can't think of any reason.  It isn't as if they would be footing the bill.  All cost would passed along to the customer.

I just think their customer service is lousy.

0 Likes
HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

Well, not really, at least not immediately.  Most people are under contract, so it's not like Verizon can immediately raise their prices to cover it. 

And you have to balance out price increases with people leaving because of the price increases.  I would bet that Verizon, being really smart people, has figured out a price point that maximizes subscribers and raising their price is not going to yield additional revenue.

@JMG32 wrote:

Can't think of any reason.  It isn't as if they would be footing the bill.  All cost would passed along to the customer.

0 Likes
jmurphy22
Enthusiast - Level 3

A lot of empty threats in this thread.

0 Likes
JMG322
Contributor - Level 1

@HokieDave wrote:

Well, not really, at least not immediately.  Most people are under contract, so it's not like Verizon can immediately raise their prices to cover it. 

And you have to balance out price increases with people leaving because of the price increases.  I would bet that Verizon, being really smart people, has figured out a price point that maximizes subscribers and raising their price is not going to yield additional revenue.

@JMG32 wrote:

I assume it would be in some sort of package that would require an additional subscription.  Maybe not though.

0 Likes
JMG322
Contributor - Level 1

@jmurphy22 wrote:

It's not as if there's a shortage of options.  Verizon is foolish to act like they're the only game in town. 

uaphan
Contributor - Level 2
I don't think most of these threats are empty. There is still time for people to cancel and a lot of people will. I'm hoping a deal gets done before the first game at least. Not expecting it to be available when the network launches.
0 Likes
acjanney
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just scheduled an appointment with Cox for this Saturday. I'm actually sad to go. Lack of SEC Network aside, FiOS has been excellent. If they finally strike a deal, I will consider coming back in 2 years. However, at this rate, my only alternative to switching providers is to buy 2 plane tickets, game tickets, and a hotel room for each Auburn game that ends up on SEC Network...

I couldn't wait any longer. For what it's worth, call your local competitors' offices and speak with local sales reps. I will be watching the SEC Network and saving enough money to make the early termination fee well worth it.

Best of luck to you all!

JMG322
Contributor - Level 1

I'll keep Verizon's internet since it's fast and works well.  Trying to schedule with DirecTV for TV.

HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

Package creep is just as bad as a price increase.  The feeling you are being nickled and dimed to death can cost you subscribers too.

Yes, I would love it if Verizon would add every out-of-market sports station they can get their hands on (say, the Fox Sports stations that they have in the deep South and out west, the PAC 12 network, the Mountain West Network, the SEC Network, Root Sports, and anything else similar) and put it in a super-ultimate sports tier.  I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

@JMG32 wrote:

I assume it would be in some sort of package that would require an additional subscription.  Maybe not though.

HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

What makes you think the threats are empty?

My cable company completed my install today and I turned in my Verizon equipment at the local office this morning.  I'm not sure how that's an empty threat.

@jmurphy22 wrote: