Re: SEC Network/sports networks
JMG322
Contributor - Level 1

@OF lakdjflkdsjfmaddog52 wrote:

hmmm, I guess that's possible.  I've never heard that before.  If so, it's back to the ledge!!!

Of course you can do like I might have to and just use a friend's or family member's log-in credentials to get the content...

0 Likes
uaphan
Contributor - Level 2
I'm hoping Verizon will break their silence and announce something by Friday. At least let us know one way or the other!!
0 Likes
bransfrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

This, from an article on al.com. They interviewed SEC Network chief, Justin Connoly. A snippet:

AL.com: What are the challenges still facing you in the last week before launch?

Connolly: "There's definitely a lot of nervous energy and excitement here internally, as we're prepping for launch. And with that as a backdrop, I think there are three component pieces. One is we still have a couple distributors that we'd love to bring aboard prior to launch - Mediacom and Verizon FiOS. .... I think the second is that the digital platform is going to play a big role in this network. We'll do well over 550 exclusive events on digital. It takes a whole lot of work and coordination making sure that everybody carries the digital network. I'm not sure everyone will be on on day one, so there's some focus on trying to make sure we get there. And then the third item is just from a programming perspective: We're going to do a three-hour show to debut the network and we're going to be broadcasting from all 14 schools and there's a whole lot of work that goes into that. Those are the three items where we're spending most of our time right now."

AL.com: How close are you to agreements with those two major providers that haven't yet signed on?

Connolly: "It's a matter of those distributors getting to the same place that the pile of distributors that have already signed up got to, and that is understanding - whether you're Mediacom in Missouri or you're Verizon FiOS in Tampa and Orlando - that your customers in those areas need the network, they want the network, you're creating value for them. We continue to push, but nothing eminent on either front."

AL.com: How many households have the opportunity to get the network under your current agreements and how many would if you add Mediacom and Verizon FiOS?

Connolly: "Right now, we're available to roughly 90 million. In the event those folks come aboard, then we're in the 95 (million) range. The idea is to be available to anyone and everyone across the country who has a cable television subscription. ... I'd say that a customer in any market across the country has at least three options to get the network. You've got Dish Network, DirecTV, their local cable provider and in many instances where AT&T U-Verse is, there's a fourth option there as well. So it is what we think of as very widely distributed with multiple options in every market across the country."

Doesn't sound too promising.

0 Likes
dfwaggie
Enthusiast - Level 1

Dallas resident, called to switch my TV to DISH on Monday, installer is at the house now (Wed).  When I called to cancel FIOS TV the woman on the phone did not sound surprised or concerned at all.  She tried to sell me the standard "but we can reduce your payments by $$" and I said "you will not have the SEC Network, I am leaving".  It is really shocking that FIOS was one of the first kids on the block to have Longhorn Network (I'm an Aggie) but is being cheap about this.  I was looking for a reason to leave and they gave it to me.  I really think they do not care about TV programming any more and are focusing on Internet provider (which they are very good at BTW) and wireless.  I would suggest bailing out of FIOS TV, they don't seem concerned about that buisness anyhow and there are better options.

Jlaborde3
Enthusiast - Level 2

FYI for those considering Direct TV. I was getting it installed this week only to find out that they do not offer ESPN 3 ( the online content ). I called to verify and the call center person had never heard of it... I'm still looking to switch off Verizon over this deal and advise the same but wanted to let others know about ESPN3 or the lack thereof with Direct TV, if that is important to you like it is to me.

0 Likes
uaphan
Contributor - Level 2

With the SEC Network launching in about 24 hours, looking like there is no way Verizon will have it when it first comes on the air. Very disappointed in Verizon and there complete lack of communication to their customers regarding this channel. My only hope is that they will say something soon and have it by the time the first game is on. I used to be a big fan of Verizon Fios...not anymore. 

Boyd90277
Enthusiast - Level 2

Effective this morning, I am now a Time Warner customer. Installation complete.

0 Likes
dorjwill
Enthusiast - Level 3

Looks like they have turned off the comments section of the FiOS Facebook page.  Guess they didn't want to deal witht the substantial increase in heat that is coming tommorrow.  See, somebody over at VZ is paying attention.

0 Likes
uaphan
Contributor - Level 2

@dorjwill wrote:

Looks like they have turned off the comments section of the FiOS Facebook page.  Guess they didn't want to deal witht the substantial increase in heat that is coming tommorrow.  See, somebody over at VZ is paying attention.

Unbelievable if this is true...for them to turn off the comments just shows they are feeling the heat. They won't even acknowledge any of the tweets I have sent them. 

0 Likes
mcsteve34

I am really angry at the lack of response from Verizon for this as I have called to cimplain multiple times. They seem to view it as a joke when you tell them you will dump your service because of the SEC Network., There is no way I am missing any Alabama games because of Verizon.

0 Likes