Re: SEC Network/sports networks
chimesstreet
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just called verizon. My operator had never heard of the sec network. After a brief hold,

she said they are in active negotiations.  Negotiate faster!

customers need to keep calling to keep the pressure on. 

0 Likes
bransfrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

@chimesstreet wrote:

Just called verizon. My operator had never heard of the sec network. After a brief hold,

she said they are in active negotiations.  Negotiate faster!

customers need to keep calling to keep the pressure on. 

I am sure that is a "blanket response" issued to all of the customer service reps if they get a call about the SECN. As the new SECN/ESPN SVP of college networks was quoted recently, "A deal is not imminent". 

0 Likes
SECFANS
I will be paying my $120 cancellation fee and changing providers if Verizon doesn't add the SEC CHANNEL in the next few days. Listen to your customers!!!
0 Likes
medeski7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Today is the launch of the SEC Network and my beloved Kentucky Wildcats are supposed to be the first team to be broadcast on the network.  Unfortunately, because FIOS won't pick up the SEC Network I am going to miss what I consider to be a historic day in SEC sports.  I consider this to be the first major strike against Verizon and one that I'm not certain will be forgiven.  If by football kickoff this is not resolved my family and I will be finding a new cable provider.  This is inexcusable, especially given Verizon's willingness to accept the Longhorn and Big 10 networks.  Whoever is making the sports broadcasting business decisions at Verizon should be fired.

0 Likes
Gunners

Will we still be able to watch the SEC Network via espn3 and the Watch ESPN app when we log on using Verizon?

0 Likes
sgrounds22

I am sure that is a "blanket response" issued to all of the customer service reps if they get a call about the SECN. As the new SECN/ESPN SVP of college networks was quoted recently, "A deal is not imminent". 

I'm sure a lot of what is being said in public is to put pressure on the other party.

0 Likes
bluedevil2002
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Gunners wrote:

Will we still be able to watch the SEC Network via espn3 and the Watch ESPN app when we log on using Verizon?

No, you can only access content on WatchESPN that you have access to on your TV.

Just like if you only have a lower package that doesn't get ESPNews, you wouldn't be able to access any of that content on WatchESPN.

And btw, ESPN3 is just an online only channel available through the WatchESPN app.

0 Likes
Southern_Boy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will not worry too much. Verizon is not stupid. I had a co-worker tell me that they are freeing up space in the sports section. They don't have the Pac 12 Network but that is them. They are not SEC fans. It would be business suicide to not get the SEC Network. Especially in the Florida and East Texas markets. So I would not worry. Whenever someone says "we are in negotiations" they will have it soon. Everyone said that and got it. Believe me, if DirecTV caved to the SEC and ESPN, Verizon will. It will be there before the first game on the 28th. Be patient.

0 Likes
HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

The first time I called and talked with Verizon's retention person, they told me the line that Verizon was in negotiation with the SEC Network.

Then I mentioned also not liking it that Verizon did not carry the PAC 12 network, which is now going into its 3rd season.  He said they are in negotiation with them too.  I bet if I had mentioned ESPN8 - the Ocho - it would have been the same line.

@Southern_Boy wrote:

I will not worry too much. Verizon is not stupid. I had a co-worker tell me that they are freeing up space in the sports section. They don't have the Pac 12 Network but that is them. They are not SEC fans. It would be business suicide to not get the SEC Network. Especially in the Florida and East Texas markets. So I would not worry. Whenever someone says "we are in negotiations" they will have it soon. Everyone said that and got it. Believe me, if DirecTV caved to the SEC and ESPN, Verizon will. It will be there before the first game on the 28th. Be patient.

0 Likes
SEC Network
rcaggie1

Is verizon actually working toward getting the SEC Network?  I can't find any news that suggests they are in active negotiations with ESPN to get the network.  We live in the D/FW area and have FIOS, but we will move forward with another provider if Verizon does not intend to get the network.  They have that t.u. network that no one watches and won't get the SEC?  Makes no sence!  

0 Likes