Re: SEC Network/sports networks
BigKCat
Enthusiast - Level 1

Lowell McAdams FIOS CEO is a graduate of Cornell, he does not believe in the priority of sports programming.  McAdams is using SEC Network to leverage a package deal with all of ABC owned cable networks.  ESPN/SEC Network is standing firm that Verizon will have to accept the terms all other Cable providers have accepted.  McAdams feels that ABC will budge, guessing they don't want to lose FIOS as customer for ESPN's, Disney Channels, etc.  McAdams is new as FIOS CEO and has much to learn.  No SEC network first, ESPN and Disney next.

Why is FIOS being so hush hush?  All other cable providers made some kind of official statements but not Verizon.

He has lost all of my busniess forever...

VerizonTiger1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just switched from Brighthouse to Verizon. I naively thought Verizon would surely have the SEC Network. Silly me. I am very, very unhappy that there is no SEC Network on my Verizon screen. And no clear answers as to if or when it will be there. This is very, very poor customer service, as in Florida there is a huge SEC fanbase. And that includes people who follow very many, many SEC teams - such as my own favorite - LSU.

C'mon Verizon... we're all waiting! 

Smiley Mad

GregY
Enthusiast - Level 3

Call Verizon customer service now and ask them how to cancel service because they don't have the SEC Network.  When you get that person tell them that since they have delayed getting SEC Network, you want the  "Valued Customer $10/12Mo." incentive to for your inconvenience to keep you as a customer.  Then if they get SEC Network up before first game on 8/28, you save $120 (although missing 2 weeks of Finebaum is more valuable than that).  If not, you can cancel and go to another provider that has the SEC Network and values their customers.  Verizon keeps raising the bribes to keep customers while they "negotiate".  Yesterday, it was $8 for 6 months.

0 Likes
HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

I called several times in the course of my cancelation and oddly, nobody offered me such a discount.

The last guy I talked with offered me the "opportunity" to suspend my service instead of canceling at a cost of only $30.  That pushed my ire over the edge.    It was bad enough that he wanted to waste my time arguing with me but this ridiculous sales pitch made me lose it with him.

But anyway, nobody offered me any incentive to stay.  I even suggested to the first retention person I talked to that if Verizon were to offer me the $400 gift card that they were offering to new subscribers, I'd at least consider that.  No counter-offer was forthcoming.

@GregY wrote:

Call Verizon customer service now and ask them how to cancel service because they don't have the SEC Network.  When you get that person tell them that since they have delayed getting SEC Network, you want the  "Valued Customer $10/12Mo." incentive to for your inconvenience to keep you as a customer.  Then if they get SEC Network up before first game on 8/28, you save $120 (although missing 2 weeks of Finebaum is more valuable than that).  If not, you can cancel and go to another provider that has the SEC Network and values their customers.  Verizon keeps raising the bribes to keep customers while they "negotiate".  Yesterday, it was $8 for 6 months.

uaphan
Contributor - Level 2
Sounds like Verizon is really playing hardball with the SEC Network and retaining customers which is strange considering all the other providers were working with their customers before they agreed to carry it. I cannot imagine what their issue is relative to reaching an agreement. If all the other providers were able to why can't Verizon?? This is infuriating
USCarolina
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got off the phone witha  verizon rep who was candid and honest. He said he has no clue what is going on. He said he knows theya re negotiating, but thats it. He said they haven't told them anything other than that. He said he has the same problem as he wants to watch his Mizzou Tigers play. I am giving them until 8/22 and then I am cancelling and maing the move to comcast. I don't want to do it, or pay the early termination fee, but on 8/28 I will watch my Gamecocks whip those Aggies whether it's on Verizon or Comcast. Just aboslut poor business sense by verizon. Not having it done by the launch was epic in terms of how poorly managed that company is. I may switch just because I don't want to be connected to a compnay that is that stupid.

GregY
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess if you have a contract they can play hardball with you (and all their other indentured subscribers).  I passed up the $300 gift card bribe offered to lock in for two years for exactly this reason two months ago.  I told Verizon that if they did not carry SEC Network, I was going back to the awful hated Time Warner if it was carrying the SEC Network.  If SEC Network is not live on Verizon by 8/18, I'm going back to bad old TW Cable.  Corporate tough guy Lowell McAdams, head of FIOS, has apparently puffed his chest out to go head to head with ESPN.  Well 8 of the top 10 cable providers now have same deal with ABC/ESPN to carry SEC Network.  No way ABC/ESPN is going to cut a different comprehensive deal with Verizon.  Verizon has to take the deal everyone else has.  If Verizon wants to play chicken, come 8/28 they are going to see a huge subscriber drop, and as Verizon's shares drop, McAdams may too.  Too bad Verizon's subscribers have to suffer this gross incompetance.  Maybe Verizon can play tough guy and negotiate a deal to carry the Northwest Missouri Air Hockey Channel in place of the SEC Network.  Distribution is not king whenever people have the choice of providers.  Content is always king and ESPN has it locked up in the sports category (and they are paying a heck of a lot of money to obtain it).  Subscribers who are now paying contract breakage fees to get free of Verizon to go to another provider with SEC Network should be clearly signalling something to Verizon.  I hope the tough guys hear it before it is too late.  

uaphan
Contributor - Level 2
I love how Verizon Fios Twitter feed only responds to people wanting to switch to them and technical issues-no programming is addressed at all. Completely ignoring SEC Network questions.
Re: SEC Network
CMLGator
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm a Gator fan living in Northern VA.  I just got Fios a week ago, but if they don't have SEC Network by the time my 30 day cancelation period ends, I'm dropping and moving to DirectTV.

Re: SEC Network
VerizonTiger1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wondering. I live in Bradenton (FL) and just set up with Verizon/FIOS. I've liked everything so far, except the absence of the SEC Network and the unwillingness to address questions with serious answers on Verizon's part. I notice you have a 30 day cancellation period (in VA?). Do you know if that same 30 day period is in place here in FL too? I am definitely considering it, if the SEC Network doesn't get included. Pronto.