Re: SEC Network
birdiemantx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tennessee alum living in DFW.  Love FiOS and will cancel soon.

I just got off the phone with Verizon and the CSR indicated that they have received numerous complaints and requests for SEC Network.  She instructed me to wait till before the first game as often times deals are reached before launch or before the first live game.  I told her I would cancel next week as I have to have time to get another provider installed before the labor day weekend to watch games.  She indicated that SEC people had a lot of passion and she apologized for any inconvenience. 

She then proceeded to tell me about people being upset about the Tennis Channel.  I said that I was offended by that comparison.  Furthermore, I said I was offended by the fact that Verizon provided the Longhorn and BigTen Network right from launch and they are stalling on SEC. 

Just my two cents but they will announce a deal right before Aug 28.  I won't wait that long as I want to watch all the games that weekend and I need to have time for another provider to come out and install.

Verizon picked the wrong fanbase to use as a negotiating chip.....

Re: SEC Network/sports networks
uaphan
Contributor - Level 2
I think they severely underestimated the passion of the SEC fanbase. You would think they would want to have it in the NYC market as well with lots of SEC alumni living there.
utvol00
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also a UT alum living in Richmond.  I just chatted with a rep and they told me the same thing.  That negotiations are ongoing and many times happen right before the first game and also said the tidbit about passion of SEC fans.  Looks like they are getting enough complaints that they at least have a gameplan now instead of the time before I called and the girl had no idea what the SEC Network was.

HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

There are two seasons in American sports - football season and waiting for football season.

@birdiemantx wrote:
She then proceeded to tell me about people being upset about the Tennis Channel.
GregY
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm in NYC and was thrilled to be able to get Verizon a couple of months ago.  But, I will not have it past 8/18 unless the SEC Network is live by then.  The Verizon {please keep your posts courteous} should look it up, I'm not doing their market research for them, but the number of SEC alumni in NYC is much larger than most people would guess.  A large portion of them are rabid football (and other sports) fans.  It is just in your blood as an SEC alum.  I have been checking around and there will be a very large number of these folks that currently have Verizon cancelling next week so that they can get TW scheduled in time for the games on the 28th.  TW is usually at least a week out for an install and that time frame is getting longer.  Verizon negotiators need to sign a deal and go live with SEC Network by early next week or there will be substantial cancellations.  Verizon will not only loose the revenue from these cancellations (hope those termination fees are consolation for a one-time pop), there will be spillover.  For example I was just waiting form my ATT Wireless contract to expire in a couple of months and then I was moving to Verizon (whoops, loss of a $300/mo annuity).  Not any more.  Hope it all works out for you Verizon guys, ABC/ESPN has the leverage here and you are just **bleep** off a significant segment of your subscribers by not being upfront with them, not respecting their desires and totally blowing it on this one.  Hope all the money you are spending on infrastructure in NYC works out for you.  Yea, I know you will almost certainly reach a deal (say on the 27th, 28th or the following week) on the same terms that have been on the table for quite a while now, but by them irreverseable damage will be done.  

0 Likes
birdiemantx
Enthusiast - Level 2

ThecrazypartistheFiOSbrandisgettingtrashedoneverymessageboardacrosstheSEC.....

birdiemantx
Enthusiast - Level 2

For some reason spacing did not work on my last post.

NYC guy, you are spot on.

Verizon brand is being tarnished through this fiasco across the nation with all SEC alums.  I can forget a lot, but I do not forget others messing with my football and Tennessee sports.  I would be hard pressed to EVER by another Verizon product.  Period.

Their handling of this has been awful.  Just awful.

streetsma
Enthusiast - Level 3

There  you  have  it.     That's  the  guy    with  all  the  answers.   some  of  these  guys   are  bookworms  with  no  street smarts.    we  shall   see.

If    he  thinks  not    carrying  the  SEC  Network   is  a  good  business  decision,  then  I'd   like  to  hear  from  him,  and  we  can  discuss   the   matter.

streetsma
Enthusiast - Level 3

In  reply  to  message  #371

uaphan
Contributor - Level 2
Everyone please keep calling/chatting/tweeting/emailing Verizon to add the SEC Network!! I am doing so daily. I want them sick and tired of hearing from me. I hope they will announce something soon.