Re: SEC Network/sports networks
streetsma
Enthusiast - Level 3

@NYIceQueen wrote:

We already pay for a ton of channels we don't watch.  I'm an SEC fan.  I pay for the Big 10 network, Longhorn, Pac 10, the World Fishing Network, NHL network, various MSG channels, etc, etc....and a plethora of other stuff I don't watch either.  But I want the SEC Network, and no I don't mind paying for it.  It's cable.  There will always be networks a very select few watch that some will think "oh who wants that" or "it's not that many people."

Count up how many fans and the success for the SEC Schools in not just football, but basketball, baseball, etc.  Now balance that with a network devoted to ONLY one school (Texas), or a channel based on Fishing.  Or even networks like Al Jazeera, or the 24 hour recipe.TV network. 

There are always going to be folks angry they're paying for something they don't think is "worth" it.  But the huge red flag to Verizon should've been that literally every...single...other...carrier is on board with this.  So if Verizon wants to stay competitive in those areas (Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Missouri), plus even around the country considering how many SEC people there are all over (even here in Buffalo - plenty of SEC fans - more in their gear than the UB Bulls for sure), then they need to make this happen.

I will gladly give up World Fishing Network for some seriously good SEC sports. 

The   Biggest   problem   in  all  of  this,  is  the  way  cable  tv  is  structured.  if  you  want  one  channel,  you  have  to  pay  for   20   of    them   in  most   cases.   except  what  they  call   PREMIUM   CHANNELS   like  HBO,  etc.   where  you  pay  around  $15.00   a  month  for  the  one   channel.

This  is   an  issue  that  has  been  before  Congress.  argument   being  why  do  people  have  to  pay  for  something  they  don't  want ?

Just   think  of  all  the  people  in  the  UNITED  STATES     who   have  cable  tv  and  only  speak  the  ENGLISH    language,  yet  have  to  pay  for   channels  that  never  Broadcast   in  ENGLISH.

That's   another  argument     we  are  always  loosing.

0 Likes
streetsma
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jmurphy22 wrote:

@NTXDFW wrote:
I have been with Verizon Fios for 11 years and them not picking up the SEC network as of yet isn't a surprise to me, they will eventually. They also probably won't cave in to threats of people leaving to sign on with other providers, since they can be just as bad or even worse. Cable tv is what it is, you either have it or you don't and it makes no difference who you are with. I had Directv for many years and dumped them when they wouldn't upgrade my equipment, do they miss me, nope and I don't miss them and their rain fade. So relax Fios folks, the network will be here eventually, it took ATT quite a while to pick up the Longhorn network after Verizon already had it. How many folks left ATT over that? Go to a sports club to watch games until they get it. Gig 'em Aggies!!!!

Fios has only been around since 2005 (9 years). The LHN is a flat out joke. I don't even know how you can make comparisons between the two networks. If anything, Fios probably wishes it could have a redo when it came to the LHN. The holdup probably stems from the increased rates that take affect October 1st.  The increase in rates don't take into account the SEC network. Everything has to be reworked.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29403466-October-Price-Increases

It's easy to play armchair CEO because a bunch of SEC fans see a bunch of posts from hundreds of people and think everybody wants the the SECN, what's Verizons problem? What people don't see is the hundreds/thousands of posts from customers that probably don't want to pay extra for a Network they don't watch. I'm pretty sure Verizon knows the deadline is the 28th and I'm sure Verizon will add it by then. What I don't understand is why everybody is getting bent out of shape because they're missing the Finebaum show  and SEC classics.

You're  right    on  with  that  Longhorn  Network.  it  is  a  joke.   I   think  is  saw   one   game  on  that  channel  last  year.   The    TEXAS      RICE    football  game    I   believe.     couldn't   even   tell   you  the   channel  number.   never   see   anything   listed   in  a  national  or  local  newspaper   with  that  channel  broadcasting   anything.

yet   cutomers  still  have  to  pay  for  it.

0 Likes
streetsma
Enthusiast - Level 3

@streetsma wrote:

@jmurphy22 wrote:

@NTXDFW wrote:
I have been with Verizon Fios for 11 years and them not picking up the SEC network as of yet isn't a surprise to me, they will eventually. They also probably won't cave in to threats of people leaving to sign on with other providers, since they can be just as bad or even worse. Cable tv is what it is, you either have it or you don't and it makes no difference who you are with. I had Directv for many years and dumped them when they wouldn't upgrade my equipment, do they miss me, nope and I don't miss them and their rain fade. So relax Fios folks, the network will be here eventually, it took ATT quite a while to pick up the Longhorn network after Verizon already had it. How many folks left ATT over that? Go to a sports club to watch games until they get it. Gig 'em Aggies!!!!

Fios has only been around since 2005 (9 years). The LHN is a flat out joke. I don't even know how you can make comparisons between the two networks. If anything, Fios probably wishes it could have a redo when it came to the LHN. The holdup probably stems from the increased rates that take affect October 1st.  The increase in rates don't take into account the SEC network. Everything has to be reworked.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29403466-October-Price-Increases

It's easy to play armchair CEO because a bunch of SEC fans see a bunch of posts from hundreds of people and think everybody wants the the SECN, what's Verizons problem? What people don't see is the hundreds/thousands of posts from customers that probably don't want to pay extra for a Network they don't watch. I'm pretty sure Verizon knows the deadline is the 28th and I'm sure Verizon will add it by then. What I don't understand is why everybody is getting bent out of shape because they're missing the Finebaum show  and SEC classics.

You're  right    on  with  that  Longhorn  Network.  it  is  a  joke.   I   think  is  saw   one   game  on  that  channel  last  year.   The    TEXAS      RICE    football  game    I   believe.     couldn't   even   tell   you  the   channel  number.   never   see   anything   listed   in  a  national  or  local  newspaper   with  that  channel  broadcasting   anything.

yet   cutomers  still  have  to  pay  for  it.    go  to  Message  431

0 Likes
HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

You're assuming, though, that you pay $75/month and get 750 channels so you should be able to pick just the channels you want for 10 cents each.

That's not the way it would work, though. 

For one thing, the stupid channels that nobody wants cost Verizon nothing to carry, or, in some cases, the content provider pays Verizon to carry them so having them reduces your bill.

For whatever channels you don't want and would exclude from your bill if you could, someone else doesn't like your channels and would exclude them from their bill, which is going to drive up the price.

In other words, ESPN is going to get an average of $5/month per cable subscriber whether they get $5 from everyone or whether only 1/3 of the cable-watching public subscribes to it and they charge those people $15/each.

@streetsma wrote:
The   Biggest   problem   in  all  of  this,  is  the  way  cable  tv  is  structured.  if  you  want  one  channel,  you  have  to  pay  for   20   of    them   in  most   cases.   except  what  they  call   PREMIUM   CHANNELS   like  HBO,  etc.   where  you  pay  around  $15.00   a  month  for  the  one   channel.

This  is   an  issue  that  has  been  before  Congress.  argument   being  why  do  people  have  to  pay  for  something  they  don't  want ?

Just   think  of  all  the  people  in  the  UNITED  STATES     who   have  cable  tv  and  only  speak  the  ENGLISH    language,  yet  have  to  pay  for   channels  that  never  Broadcast   in  ENGLISH.

That's   another  argument     we  are  always  loosing.

0 Likes
chimesstreet
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just read an article (from August 4) that the SEC network will be available on the international space station. 

The Washington Post says "

So, in other words, if you’re living in a space station 205 miles above the Earth’s surface, you can watch the SEC Network. If you're a..... Verizon FiOS subscriber, you cannot"

0 Likes
GAMECOCKFANinMD

I agree.  I have been asking them for at least 6 months.  Last weekend, COMCAST Xfinity added SEC Network in my area, so now I really have a choice.  I don't want to leave FiOS because of the hassle, but COMCAST is ready.  I'm going to see the first game at a neighborhood eatery with a fellow USC alum; if FiOS doesn't have SEC network then, I'll be calling COMCAST on Friday the 29th.

0 Likes
dwp-bq-77

Be aware, Verizon is more than happy to terminate your service.  I've been with them for 5 years, and seemingly this counts for nothing. 

My service was terminated this morning and there is no re-negotiation. 

You get to start all over from the begiining.  With a service fee to boot! 

0 Likes
uaphan
Contributor - Level 2
Unbelievable that Verizon is STILL remaining silent on this. Let us know something!!!! I hope they announce an agreement this week but not getting my hopes up.
0 Likes
Wbpitch
I don't want to get my hopes up but Fios channel 584 (right beside the Big Ten Network -585) has vacated. Please, please, please be preparing that space for the SEC Network in Baltimore!!!
0 Likes
bluedevil2002
Enthusiast - Level 3
Again, Fox Sports 2 moved to 84. If we ever get it in HD, it will be 584.

If we get SECN, it will probably be in the 90s/590s.
0 Likes