Re: SEC Network/sports networks
PhillySEC
Enthusiast - Level 1
Saturday 8/23 is the planned switch date to Comcast Xfinity for me. I am now looking forward to the switch seeing as Comcast has significantly raised their game over the last couple of years. I can't risk it anymore. I am already upset that i missed the SEC Network launch.

I called to complain (on a couple of occasions) about the lack of the SEC network and I was shocked at the lack of knowledge of the SEC Network. One rep thought it was a mere "regional network." I took great offense and enlightened him to the fact that 92 million+ household availability is far from a regional network!! I then directed him to Wikipedia where it clearly shows that Verizon is THE ONLY MAJOR CARRIER NOT CARRYING THE SEC NETWORK! How is that possible!

Paying the early out fee is of no consequence to me. It's worth it to be able to follow the conference I love (yes we LOVE the SEC)! You have no leverage here verizon! None! There is no use in holding out "to get the best deal for the customers" when the best deal has already been established! The deal on the table now is the same one that will be on the table a year from now. The market has spoken, get the deal done or you will lose many more customers than just me. We have other options...just ask the other 92 million+ households!
sportsdoc
Enthusiast - Level 3

@PhillySEC wrote:
Saturday 8/23 is the planned switch date to Comcast Xfinity for me. I am now looking forward to the switch seeing as Comcast has significantly raised their game over the last couple of years. I can't risk it anymore. I am already upset that i missed the SEC Network launch.

I called to complain (on a couple of occasions) about the lack of the SEC network and I was shocked at the lack of knowledge of the SEC Network. One rep thought it was a mere "regional network." I took great offense and enlightened him to the fact that 92 million+ household availability is far from a regional network!! I then directed him to Wikipedia where it clearly shows that Verizon is THE ONLY MAJOR CARRIER NOT CARRYING THE SEC NETWORK! How is that possible!

Paying the early out fee is of no consequence to me. It's worth it to be able to follow the conference I love (yes we LOVE the SEC)! You have no leverage here verizon! None! There is no use in holding out "to get the best deal for the customers" when the best deal has already been established! The deal on the table now is the same one that will be on the table a year from now. The market has spoken, get the deal done or you will lose many more customers than just me. We have other options...just ask the other 92 million+ households!

PhillySEC, AMEN!!!!!

0 Likes
bigmal
Enthusiast - Level 3

I truly feel like this has now become Verizon vs. its viewers and not so much Verizon vs. SEC Network/ESPN.

0 Likes
dorjwill
Enthusiast - Level 3

My take on Verizon is that they are at heart a technology company.  They just don't have the corporate culture, management or infrastructure in place to deal with customer facing issues.  Just reading the twitter and facebook posts over the past few weeks has been appalling. They should consider leasing out their infrastructure to someone who actually has proiven track record of serving their customers.

SECFanUpEast
Enthusiast - Level 3

@dorjwill wrote:

My take on Verizon is that they are at heart a technology company.  They just don't have the corporate culture, management or infrastructure in place to deal with customer facing issues.  Just reading the twitter and facebook posts over the past few weeks has been appalling. They should consider leasing out their infrastructure to someone who actually has proiven track record of serving their customers.

Spot on, dorjwill.  I think Verizon's phone company roots are showing a bit here.  Verion is an infrastructure play and they have by and large been successful at that.  Speaking for myself, I've allowed myself to get a bit too emotional in the past few weeks about someting that's a calculated business decision. Verizon's analysis is that SEC fans are bound to a specific geography when we all know that in the case of the major conferences that's not so.  

While I am passionate about SEC football, I'm less bothered by the decision to not carry the programming as the complete disregard for customer service and need for communications of some sort.  I like your idea of an alliance or something to help them get closer to a true customer service mindset.  

Thanks for the good insight.

0 Likes
Hjneumann11
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
jalix

I just got off the phone with Brighthouse, and they will be out Monday. Like many others on here, it is Verizon's lack of concern that has bothered me more than the fact that they have not picked up the SEC Network (although that is the only reason I am switching). As soon as my wireless contract is up, I will be switching that too. 

0 Likes
gator4114

I just called Verizon.  I got the canned "we're still in negotiations" response.  I asked to have my name/complaint officially added to the list of customers who would seriously consider switching.  She said that there is no list and that Verizon has no say in whether the channel gets carried.  WHAT??  I defined the term negotiations for her.  She said there was no list that she could add me to.  I asked her to open a customer complaint saying that I will be looking to pay my cancellation fee if they don't get this figured out. 

While I woud love to see the 8/28 game, UF has both of their 2nd and 3rd games on the network.  September 6th looks to be my make or break date.  I would think that with all of the FiOS coverage in Tampa, not having the Gators available would be one of the deciding factors for Verizon (obviously TA&M in Dallas is huge as well).

0 Likes
uaphan
Contributor - Level 2

I would encourage everyone to call Verizon's corporate office at {edited for privacy} and speak with them. I called this morning and spoke to a real live person who took my info and had someone call me back. I still got the same canned answer that they are in negotiations and hoped to add the channel by the first game. Told them I would be canceling if they do not.

0 Likes
AggieDoc423
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've called and emailed multiple times - generally get the same stock response via email or with customer service reps, however have at least had more legit conversations through the corporate office.  I'll remain hopeful for a few more days, then likely be making a move.  There's absolutely no reason for Verizon not to carry the SEC network. 

Call corporate at  {edited for privacy}  Continue to let your voice be heard and let's hope they're listening.