Re: SEC Network/sports networks
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The announcement was clear that only folks in Texas and Florida will get the HD version.

A decision will be made later if the HD channel will be delivered to all.

I find it hard to beleive that many people will switch providers over a channel that didn't exist a month ago.

0 Likes
ssukonic

I was told that the area where I live WOULD have both channel 75 and 575.....so SD and HD by Aug. 28th when the first games would be on.  When I checked first thing this morning, neither were showing up at all.  Just checked about an hour ago and now channel 75 IS showing....but no 575 (HD).  I called Verizon to see what was going on.  I was told that they did not know when or if 575 would be added.  Not sure why......makes no sense, Verizon.

0 Likes
NoVaGmCk

What is so hard for you all to understand wrt receiving Channel 575 SEC Network in HD?  According to Verizon's official communication dated August 26, 2014 anyone outside of Florida and Texas WILL NOT receive SEC network on 575.

Why not refocus on getting 575 into the "other than Fla and Tex" markets instead of proclaiming your ignorance?

Verizon will begin airing the channel prior to August 28 on channel 75 and 575.  It will be available on those channels to all FiOS TV customers in Florida and Texas that receive ESPN in their FiOS TV package and to FiOS Extreme and Ultimate customers ON CHANNEL 75 IN ALL OTHER MARKETS AT LAUNCH

See more at: http://newscenter.verizon.com/residential/news-articles/2014/08-22-sec-network-added-to-fios-tv-line...

0 Likes
Ustavio

@CRobGauth wrote:

The announcement was clear that only folks in Texas and Florida will get the HD version.

A decision will be made later if the HD channel will be delivered to all.

I find it hard to beleive that many people will switch providers over a channel that didn't exist a month ago.

Unfortunately for many it was  not clear. Especially when  CSR feedback to various posters on this thread often contradicts the content of the announcement. Even journalists reporting on the subject give differing interpretations.

As to a decision being made later regarding HD delivery to everyone, it too runs the gamut of misinformation and obfuscation. Many are being given (or at the very least reporting being given) conflicting information.

Although the channel itself didn't exist, most , if not all, of the SEC games that one could watch last season on the ESPN networks (in HD) are simply not available to watch anymore.  Not even via WatchESPN. If one is a die hard SEC fan (and there are many of us) and Verizon is either not going to provide the only channel the games can be seen on, or limit viewing quality to SD only,  then it is perfectly reasonable to switch to a provider that not only carries SECN but in HD as well.   

Unless Verizon gets its act together on this, and quickly, they will find out just how vast the SEC Nation is, when subscribers go elsewhere.I suspect a similar sentiment is brewing with the PAC 12 Network.

0 Likes
jmurphy22
Enthusiast - Level 3

Has anybody tried to watch prehistoric SD on a 75" plasma TV? It's like  watching TV through a square telescope with a fuzzy lense. I didn't order Fios for it's SD quality programming. I'd better be able to watch these games on Watch ESPN without getting the dreaded Verizon doesn't distribute the SECN.... message. Fios is already one of the more expensive carriers. The last thing they need to do is start nickel and diming  its customer base. Just because I live outside the SEC footprint doesn't mean I have to be treated like a second class citizen. For those of you touting HD outside of Florida and Texas, it hasn't made its way to Western New York yet and I'm not really expecting it to anytime in the near future.

0 Likes
scottstuartnyc

I just don't understand why they would only offer it to part of their network.  That just doesn't make sense.  We already pay enough for the service and why would they think that offereing it in SD is acceptable?

0 Likes
medeski7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Whomever doesn't think not having the SEC Network in HD would make a large number of people consider changing doesn't understand the culture of SEC sports.  I don't have it in HD and was discussion the switch with DirecTV this morning.   Sure, not all FIOS customers care about SEC sports, but someone at Verizon made the decision to carry BTN on a lower teir in HD along with other complete nonsense programming in HD.  It's an easy wager to say that SEC football will carry more annual viewers than fishing.  It's a foregone conclusion. 

For FIOS to make this kind of a strategic decision evades comprehension.  You put your customers at arms length by not being forthcoming with information, and when you do come forward with information, you give the customer something other than what is being demanded (i.e. an ejoyable viewing experience).  Do they not read their facebook page, this forum, or receive the criticism from the hundreds upon hundreds of phone calls?  If this has taught me anything, it's that FIOS is not the kind of company I once thought they were.  FIOS is willing to risk the good faith relationships with their customers to save a razor thin margin off the top.  Funny thing is, had they gone HD immediately they'd probably have their phones ringing off the hook with customers seeking upgraded programming.  Penny wise, pound foolish.

0 Likes
dlm0501
Enthusiast - Level 1

THANK YOU--VERIZON??? Thank you for telling me that after paying premium prices for Ultimate packages that I can only watch PREMIUM football in SD....Thank you for reminding me that there is North/South divide...as a nation we need more divides and reminding me that the money I pay monthly is not worth as much as in FL & TX...I have watched SEC football longer than TX fans have been in the SEC...

NEWSFLASH...PEOPLE CAN LIVE IN THE NORTH AND WATCH SEC FOOTBALL...to me it is the BEST college football ...and if we pay for premium packages we want premium viewing of all SPORTS networks...who in this day and age watches football in SD....you even have HS games in HD...oh but I can watch the..the BIG 10...in HD...because I live in the North...THANK YOU  VERIZON...but I think since I pay...who I watch & the quality of viewing should be my decision....

This is insulting...because I live in the Northeast --- I can't appreciate SEC football...If I can switch I will (I am not sure who else is offering SEC in HD)...i switchedfor an years to another provider but  came back for Fios...so maybe it is time to change again...but this time I will stay away for good...

PS....I know everything is by the numbers and number crunchers but here are some numbers for you...---I am over 50 - female---who loves sports...married in NJ...and there are a lot of round pegs who do not fit into your square holed demographics and you missed those numbers in the equation!!!

BigOil
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here in Western New York, we only have the SD version of SEC network as of this morning.

Verizon just does not get it.

Spoke to TWC, here it's in HD. In a comparable package.

I will not watch football In stretched SD Any longer than necessary.

TWC has no contract, after 90 days I get a free tablet, $50 off of installation. Pricing is roughly comparable.

Yes, I have no doubt that technically the overall fiber to house (FTTH) is better and less compressed with Verizon.

And appreciate they do not like the muscle around by Disney for this channel.

Supposedly FTTH is huge bandwidth for television, But come on man, Al freaking Jazzera in HD, really ? and no American SEC network by ESPN.  College football is a national market. Yes I'm a southerner in New York, but the brand of the Southern schools is huges, as are the number of students that are going down south college.

Hopefully, Verizon reads this. It makes no sense, there are dozens of obviously worthless HD channels in the huge bandwidth available by FTTH and no SEC  outta TX and FL.  Ima gone for now.  Crap.  I may switch back after football season, probably get a better deal from Verizon at that point anyway. Stupid. Stupid. East Coast-based marketing MBA's t Vz just don't get it. 

Cfinn67us

SEC Network is charging cable companies about $00.25 per subscriber per month outside of the SEC footprint.  That translates into more than $12M per year in additional costs for Verizon without any additional revenue and is about double what the other conference channels have asked for.  I cant speculate about what their strategy is here but they have really alienated a lot of their most valuable customers and if 3-4K customers defected over this, they would be on the hole on the whole thing.  I am having people over and we will be using a Comcast watchESPN login to watch the game and I will take a look at what Comcast can offer.  Just a matter of time before the sports content people realize that it is easier to deal directly with consumers a la Netflix.

0 Likes