Seperate HD and SD channels
rhstockwell1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I find it odd that there are seperate HD channels from the SD ones. (For example, with DirecTV, I could punch in channel 5 and it would be in HD, I would not have to go to channel 505 or something else). Why does Verizon do this?

Re: Seperate HD and SD channels
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

My guess would be due to the DVR. Since the DVR has such limited recording space, they seperate the channels so people have the option to record in either standard or HD.

RODugger
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think the DVR cares a bit about where the channels are listed. I think it's easier for Verizon to seperate the channels this way. Personally I don't like it at all. It's a pain to go through and try and organize the favorites lists when you have to jump 500 channels higher to see if a given channel has an HD feed.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think spacedebris may be on the right track ... in addition to the space issue, if you have a mix of STB's in the house (SD and HD), you sometimes need to tell the DVR to record a show in SD so that it will be remotely viewable on an SD box for later playback if that's your plan.

I do wish Verizon had a quick way to program and clone favorites (say from the website) and several "quick" programming assistants that would allow you to, for example, have all HD (and any SD channels for which there wasn't an HD version) added to your list (excluding the 5 bazillion duplicate channels above 1000, the silly "music" channels, and any channels for which I am not subscribed).   

That or perhaps simply a feature button on the remote or menu option on the STB that let you indicate that you wished to automatically view the channel in HD (when available) if you happened to select an SD channel (so, for example, if I turned the HD option on, if I selected channel "8", the STB would just automatically show th programming from channel "508" instead).

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Did I read somewhere that IMG 1.9 will have a feature when you are on a SD channel you can press one of the letter buttons on the bottom of the remote and it would switch the channel to the HD channel if available.

Jim

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@jumpin68ny wrote:

Did I read somewhere that IMG 1.9 will have a feature when you are on a SD channel you can press one of the letter buttons on the bottom of the remote and it would switch the channel to the HD channel if available.

Jim

Maybe you did or maybe you didn't.  Can neither confirm nor deny due to NDA.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Wow you had to sign one when you got to trial this?  I will go back and read the release notes document put on public display on the forums site (I think under Verizon at home)

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

No  signature ... the little quiz you took if you applied to the program advised you of the confidentiality requirements.    I went thru the process, but unlike "some" people here, I lived too far "west" of "eastern PA" to qualify for trial so I didn't get to participate.  Smiley Mad

Now ... as for the document in the public forums, well, I'd think anything found there would be fair game!  

Hopefully that feature is coming.  Would certainly be nice.

0 Likes