Since when is a "FREE" movie trailer $5.99?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Since when is a "FREE" movie trailer $5.99?

Message 1 of 3
(5,523 Views)
I wanted to show someone the preview for Ponyo, so I found the "FREE" trailer for it on VOD. After selecting it, I got a dialog saying I wasn't subscribed. Ok I'll bite, I'll select the subscribe option. I'm then presented with another dialog, saying that in order to watch this "FREE" VOD, I have to pay $5.99 for the Disney Movie Package. What the....??????
Message Edited by sneskid on 08-23-2009 08:17 PM
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: Since when is a "FREE" movie trailer $5.99?

Message 2 of 3
(5,479 Views)

@sneskid wrote:
I wanted to show someone the preview for Ponyo, so I found the "FREE" trailer for it on VOD. After selecting it, I got a dialog saying I wasn't subscribed. Ok I'll bite, I'll select the subscribe option. I'm then presented with another dialog, saying that in order to watch this "FREE" VOD, I have to pay $5.99 for the Disney Movie Package. What the....??????

Free only means free if you have a subscription to that service.

That being said, many HBO selections have a "Watch Trailer" option which is free even without an HBO subscription. It's a way to get you interested in HBO VOD enough to subscribe, a commercial as it is. Even previews which contain nudity are free for all.

I think Ponyo may be in theatres and thus this preview ... naw this preview should be free for all. It's a commercial after all.

Drewdove
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Since when is a "FREE" movie trailer $5.99?

Message 3 of 3
(5,425 Views)

@Drew_from_Dover wrote:

@sneskid wrote:

Free only means free if you have a subscription to that service.

That being said, many HBO selections have a "Watch Trailer" option which is free even without an HBO subscription. It's a way to get you interested in HBO VOD enough to subscribe, a commercial as it is. Even previews which contain nudity are free for all.

I think Ponyo may be in theatres and thus this preview ... naw this preview should be free for all. It's a commercial after all.

Then I think Verizon needs to rethink how these are displayed.  "Free" should mean it's viewable with what I already have, not "pay $5.99 for your free viewing". 

Yes, Ponyo is in theaters now, and exactly - it's a trailer.  Whoever heard of paying an extra $5.99 just to watch a trailer?  Thing is, it's not even Disney.  Well ok, Disney has USA distribution rights, but Ponyo is from Studio Ghibli.  So in a way, I could even argue that in order to see a "commercial" for a Studio Ghibli film from my couch without going online, I must pay $5.99 to Disney.  How does that make sense?
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.