Since when is a "FREE" movie trailer $5.99?
sneskid
Enthusiast - Level 2
I wanted to show someone the preview for Ponyo, so I found the "FREE" trailer for it on VOD. After selecting it, I got a dialog saying I wasn't subscribed. Ok I'll bite, I'll select the subscribe option. I'm then presented with another dialog, saying that in order to watch this "FREE" VOD, I have to pay $5.99 for the Disney Movie Package. What the....??????
Message Edited by sneskid on 08-23-2009 08:17 PM
0 Likes
Re: Since when is a "FREE" movie trailer $5.99?
Drew_from_Dover
Contributor - Level 2

@sneskid wrote:
I wanted to show someone the preview for Ponyo, so I found the "FREE" trailer for it on VOD. After selecting it, I got a dialog saying I wasn't subscribed. Ok I'll bite, I'll select the subscribe option. I'm then presented with another dialog, saying that in order to watch this "FREE" VOD, I have to pay $5.99 for the Disney Movie Package. What the....??????

Free only means free if you have a subscription to that service.

That being said, many HBO selections have a "Watch Trailer" option which is free even without an HBO subscription. It's a way to get you interested in HBO VOD enough to subscribe, a commercial as it is. Even previews which contain nudity are free for all.

I think Ponyo may be in theatres and thus this preview ... naw this preview should be free for all. It's a commercial after all.

0 Likes
Re: Since when is a "FREE" movie trailer $5.99?
sneskid
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Drew_from_Dover wrote:

@sneskid wrote:

Free only means free if you have a subscription to that service.

That being said, many HBO selections have a "Watch Trailer" option which is free even without an HBO subscription. It's a way to get you interested in HBO VOD enough to subscribe, a commercial as it is. Even previews which contain nudity are free for all.

I think Ponyo may be in theatres and thus this preview ... naw this preview should be free for all. It's a commercial after all.

Then I think Verizon needs to rethink how these are displayed.  "Free" should mean it's viewable with what I already have, not "pay $5.99 for your free viewing". 

Yes, Ponyo is in theaters now, and exactly - it's a trailer.  Whoever heard of paying an extra $5.99 just to watch a trailer?  Thing is, it's not even Disney.  Well ok, Disney has USA distribution rights, but Ponyo is from Studio Ghibli.  So in a way, I could even argue that in order to see a "commercial" for a Studio Ghibli film from my couch without going online, I must pay $5.99 to Disney.  How does that make sense?
0 Likes