×

Switch Account

Suggest channels to DROP from Verizon FiOS...

Suggest channels to DROP from Verizon FiOS...

Reply
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 6,819
Registered: ‎08-23-2008
Message 11 of 23
(2,531 Views)

Well here it is, go vote to make them go.


Cut your loses on the .tv channels and use the QAMs for the content people want.

 

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/Cut-your-loses-on-the-tv-channels-and-use...

Silver Contributor II
Silver Contributor II
Posts: 279
Registered: ‎08-07-2010
Message 12 of 23
(2,474 Views)

I understand about the obligation to distribute the channels. What I don't understand is- -  what is involved

about finding a way out?

 

Thanks for starting that topic in Ideas, prisaz!

Silver Contributor IV
Silver Contributor IV
Posts: 574
Registered: ‎05-11-2009
Message 13 of 23
(2,435 Views)

@ocean25 wrote:

I understand about the obligation to distribute the channels. What I don't understand is- -  what is involved

about finding a way out?

 


Probably a lot more than it's worth. Since a typical carriage agreement goes for two years, the agreement would simply run out in this case (mid-2011) before any costly litigation would ever go anywhere. When IPTV finally starts, I don't care if the channels stay or go. I would guess though, that Verizon will have the upper hand and use it for any negotiations to extend or renew the agreement.
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III
Posts: 381
Registered: ‎09-01-2008
Message 14 of 23
(2,337 Views)

 


@Caps09 wrote:
Probably a lot more than it's worth. Since a typical carriage agreement goes for two years, the agreement would simply run out in this case (mid-2011) before any costly litigation would ever go anywhere. When IPTV finally starts, I don't care if the channels stay or go. I would guess though, that Verizon will have the upper hand and use it for any negotiations to extend or renew the agreement.

 

Count me in the .tv removal camp as well.

 

In the interim, would anyone really complain about the picture quality if Verizon somehow were to compress the channels and fit all 6 on one QAM? Smiley Wink

 

 

Gold Contributor I
Gold Contributor I
Posts: 752
Registered: ‎10-18-2010
Message 15 of 23
(2,321 Views)

@Carl wrote:

 


@Caps09 wrote:
Probably a lot more than it's worth. Since a typical carriage agreement goes for two years, the agreement would simply run out in this case (mid-2011) before any costly litigation would ever go anywhere. When IPTV finally starts, I don't care if the channels stay or go. I would guess though, that Verizon will have the upper hand and use it for any negotiations to extend or renew the agreement.

 

Count me in the .tv removal camp as well.

 

In the interim, would anyone really complain about the picture quality if Verizon somehow were to compress the channels and fit all 6 on one QAM? Smiley Wink

 

 


Me likey the QAM idea!!!! I think you would be hard pressed to find a 20-30 viewers who actually WATCH any of those channels and even fewer that would really care if the picture signal was degraded a little.

 

For the hell of it I tried to watch one of the shows on Recipe.tv this past weekend. All it did was reinforce my attitude of why are these channels being carried!?!?!?! In one 30 minute segment there was 15 minutes of commercials (34 in total), more commercial time than actual program time.

Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,325
Registered: ‎08-05-2008
Message 16 of 23
(2,277 Views)

 


@bobbo527 wrote:

Me likey the QAM idea!!!! I think you would be hard pressed to find a 20-30 viewers who actually WATCH any of those channels and even fewer that would really care if the picture signal was degraded a little.

 

For the hell of it I tried to watch one of the shows on Recipe.tv this past weekend. All it did was reinforce my attitude of why are these channels being carried!?!?!?! In one 30 minute segment there was 15 minutes of commercials (34 in total), more commercial time than actual program time.


One of the main reasons I stay with Verizon is because they don't over compress (re-compress) the source signal.  It would be a huge negative if they started doing what Comcrap and others are doing.

 

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Highlighted
Silver Contributor II
Silver Contributor II
Posts: 279
Registered: ‎08-07-2010
Message 17 of 23
(2,210 Views)

I think many of those music channels could be consolidated....into about 15 or so?

Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,325
Registered: ‎08-05-2008
Message 18 of 23
(2,205 Views)

 


@ocean25 wrote:

I think many of those music channels could be consolidated....into about 15 or so?


Actually, the music channels only use 1 qam channel (2 HD channels of programming) while the .tv channels are HD and use up 3 QAM channels (or 6 HD channels of programming).  Consolidating to 15 music channels would only gain 1 hd channel at most.

 

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Silver Contributor IV
Silver Contributor IV
Posts: 503
Registered: ‎08-06-2009
Message 19 of 23
(2,118 Views)

Get used to the .tv channels...they are here to stay!

www.broadcastingcable.com/articl···Nets.php

Verizon has just signed a deal to continue with those channels for years to come.  Boy, we'd better hope that means that future HD additions will be unlimited

Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 6,819
Registered: ‎08-23-2008
Message 20 of 23
(2,109 Views)

 


@film11 wrote:

Get used to the .tv channels...they are here to stay!

www.broadcastingcable.com/articl···Nets.php

Verizon has just signed a deal to continue with those channels for years to come.  Boy, we'd better hope that means that future HD additions will be unlimited


I agree it worthy of a new thread! Who is getting kick backs on this deal? Are the trying to thin out the customer base? I mean take away HD channel feeds and keep this trash! Who is running these ideas? Something stinks here!

 

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.


Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.