TV commercial sound level.
dra4

I have called Verizon 4 times on this issue and I still have trouble. They seemed to have done a software upgrade that now only allows 2 to 4 per hour of at least 20db increase in sound level.  This is very annoying.

0 Likes
Re: TV commercial sound level.
Justin46
Legend

I don't hear that at all here, at least on any of the channels I watch. Where are you located, and is it only on specific channels or on most/all channels?

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
dra4

I am in S. California and the channels that are effected are the new channels: CNN, FOX etc.  The only channels that aren't effected now are ABC,NBC,CBS.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@dra wrote:

I am in S. California and the channels that are effected are the new channels: CNN, FOX etc.  The only channels that aren't effected now are ABC,NBC,CBS.

OK, I should have also asked before, are they ads for local services or companies, or national ads? The reason I ask that is Verizon does insert some local ads into the stream and yes, my experience is that some of them are somewhat louder than other ads. Not like what you are describing, but louder. If it is only local ads, then it is a problem at the FiOS location where the ads are inserted; if national, we should all be affected, and I am not.

Also, which VHO are you in? If you don't know, you can find out on your STB:

Menu ==> Settings ==> System Information ==> VHO ID ==> the last two digits of the four digits shown

Since you say the news channels are affected, does that mean that the sports channels, other cable channels are not affected?

Obviously I as just another customer can't do anything about your issue, but if you can provide as complete info as possible on what you are seeing/hearing maybe we can get someone from Verizon to look into it. Please keep in mind that the Verizon Forums are for users to help other users, not for users to get help directly from Verizon. But I will try to get some help for you when we get things pinned down better.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
dra4

VHO=3303

These are not network commercials and I have talked extensively with Verizon about this to no avail.  I have put my Dolby setting on high etc, still I get blasted to the point of inverting my speaker cones.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@dra wrote:

VHO=3303

These are not network commercials and I have talked extensively with Verizon about this to no avail.  I have put my Dolby setting on high etc, still I get blasted to the point of inverting my speaker cones.

OK, let me see if I can get you some help. No promises.......

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about the sound problems you are having. I would suggest setting the audio dynamic range to either High or Off in the boxes audio. Since the surround sound system processes the volume and changes it based on its settings, try not using the sound output to the surround sound. Instead listen to the sound out of the TV speakers to see if you have the same volume spikes on either High or Off for the dynamic range settings.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Anthony_VZ wrote:

Sorry to hear about the sound problems you are having. I would suggest setting the audio dynamic range to either High or Off in the boxes audio. Since the surround sound system processes the volume and changes it based on its settings, try not using the sound output to the surround sound. Instead listen to the sound out of the TV speakers to see if you have the same volume spikes on either High or Off for the dynamic range settings.

I am also in VHO3.  Currently I am not experiencing the sound problems described by the OP regarding locally-inserted commercials, although I used to.  Quite awhile back, probably a year or so (maybe around when IMG 1.9 was deployed), the problem went away for me.  Maybe it's because of the settings that I have.  My Dynamic Range control is set to Heavy, the Audio Format is set to Surround, and I'm using a Denon AVR receiver via HDMI for the audio, not the TV speakers. 

tns
Master - Level 2

Are you exaggerating?  20 DB is a deafening increase, and I would expect to hear complaints from everyone.

Verizon Ads?  If not the problem is more likely with the providers.

Note that a 6 DB increase + a loud ad is the most you should expect when a program switches from Dolby Digital to PCM for a commercial.

0 Likes
Drew_from_Dover
Contributor - Level 2

These louder commercials are local insert ads and come into your STB from another source which explains the variation (much louder) in volume. 

The best way to fix this is to call the specific sponsor and tell them you need to switch their commercial off due to its loud and disturbing volume. They pay Verizon to run their ads and I'm sure they don't want anyone to not watch. I'm sure with this word in their ear they will see to it the volume is normalized with the surrounding program. Nothing talks louder than a sponsor's $!