TV costs out of control
JohnnyS1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The cost of TV is getting out of hand. I understand that part of this cost is the charges that the cable channels charge Verizon and other cable providers to carry their content.  I remember years ago, some satellite providers had STB's that displayed local HD channels from an OTA antenna.  Since these signals are free, coudn't Verizon offer the same hardware and drop paying CBS, NBC,  FOX, ABC, etc.  and lower our rates?

Cablevision is NY is pushing a "cord-cutting" plan where they just provide internat and WI-FI and give you a digital antenna.  I suppose it's then up to you to get streaming subscriptions to the premium channels you want have.

0 Likes
Re: TV costs out of control
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Back in the day, ota signals were analog and so were cable channels.

People didn't have HD TVs.

Quality of the ota signal was not much different than cable.

Ota signals are not as easy to get anymore.

Have you tried it lately?

If you are near antennas it is good.

Other areas not so much. And more directional.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Rules were changed.  Now a local channel can insist on being carried (must carry) by cable, etc, and then they are carried essentially for free, or they can insist on money and then they are not required to be carried.

0 Likes
JohnnyS1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well,  the only channels that request free carry are probably the shopping channels.  Several  times a year you hear about cable companies threatening  to drop sport and network channels as their carry prices are negotiated.  Fees must be based on subscriber count.   In large city areas, many channels are OTA and  there's no need to pay foir these channels. Digital signals are easier to access with small omi-directional antennas.  Verizon should offer STB's that can also display OTA HD channels and drop the need to carry major networks.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's easier said than done.

I live not that far outside of Baltimore.

And yet I don't always get good reception of broadcast networks.

And some folks live even farther out. Or are in a basement apartment that doesn't get good TV signals.

Imagine the headaches for Verizon when people subscribe to a package without locals and then they call saying they can't get good coverage.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

For years some cable companies get almost all their customers from CITY customers who got poor reception rather then suburban customers who often got good reception. 

0 Likes