Bring back the Weather Channel
ixchelkali
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got the notice about Verizon dropping the Weather Channel and replacing it with Accuweather.  I decided to give it a fair chance and watch Accuweather to see how it measures up.  I'm not impressed.

I don't know what problem Verizon had with the Weather Channel contract. I expect Accuweather is cheaper.  But it's annoying when you sign a two-year contract for a package of channels, and then Verizon drops the channels you signed up for, whenever they want.  They certainly didn't ask for our opinion of the change.

I couldn't find anywhere to give Verizon feedback about the change, so I'm posting my feedback here. I like the Weather Channel much better than Accuweather.  Accuweather doesn't even give you your local forecast every 10 minutes.  Actually, they don't give my city at all.  And I have to watch for an hour to get the forecast for this region.  Even though we're having record-breaking weather right now, they devoted about 3 minutes of the hour to cover the whole western United States.

My vote: bring back the Weather Channel.

Re: Weather Channel
cjcook2
Enthusiast - Level 3

@ike71 wrote:

How about all Weather Channel lovers getting together and offering Veizon to pay the extra money The Weather Channel wants?

They can use the money I paid for other channels that they have since taken out of my package.

0 Likes
Re: The Weather Channel
cjcook2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok. So now I cannot get accurate, in-depth, up-to-date, and potentially life-saving weather information, but I can still "learn" all about the "trials-and-tribulations" of "real" housewives, and a bunch of disfunctional people. Here's an idea - people can get all the info they want about these "reality stars" online. Why don't you drop them and bring back TWC!

cjcook2
Enthusiast - Level 3

@CRobGauth wrote:

I will admit that Weatherscan was useful.

Like right now:

According to TV Guide: Currently showing on TWC is Why Planes crash for at least the next couple of hours.

And if memory serves me correctly, they didn't always have weather on the 8s during this type of shows.

But I can tune over to Accuweather and get weather in no more than 15 minutes.

Accuweather channel is very new. They have stated that they will be improving the product (chicken and egg: can't spend a lot of money until you have customers but customers wnat a highly polished product from day 1).

Keep in mind that Accuweather has been in business for over 50 years. They certainly know about weather.

Lots of people are concerned about coverage during a significant weather event.

Lets wait and see how they perform on the first one and then judge vs assuming they will fail.

I certainly don't need to see someone standing out in the severe weeather to believe it is happening.
The weather should be the focus of the story not the people reporting it.

Yes ,TWC has other programs and yes, I don't like them all (same can be said for ANY channel). HOWEVER, when there is severe weather, TWC preempts ALL OTHER Programming to bring LIVE coverage. No other station does that. No other station has the expertise, experience, and personnel to cover major weather events. So those times when there is nothing really major going on weather-wise, you can tune into weatherscan for you local weather (which, by the way, I have YET to see anything more than a very large, useless regional thing on Accuweather). Why replace something useful with something resembling a 3rd grade science/computer graphics project?

0 Likes
Re: Bring back the Weather Channel
KenEasternMA
Enthusiast - Level 1

The Weather Channel was the first channel I looked at in the morning before I left for work, and the last one I looked at each evening.  

Channel 49 had a perfect layout for a weather forecast: radar map lower left corner, temperature and rain/snow forecast on an hourly basis which rotated on a cycle with the weekly forecast.  Couldn't ask for anything better.  Weather Bug just doen't cut it.

I hope Verizon at least brings back CH 49 if not Ch 119.

Re: Bring back The Weather Channel
mbrkelley
Enthusiast - Level 3

PLEASE bring back The Weather Channel and Weatherscan (channel 49)!!!  We were given absolutely NO WARNING about this change.  We were sent an email on March 10 saying that the change happened the same day.  

Accuweather doesn't even cover our area on the Virginia Peninsula (Newport News); it eventually covers Norfolk, Virginia Beach, then skips all the way up to Richmond.  Accuweather is so unprofessional.

The Weatherbug replacement for Weatherscan on channel 49 is totally useless!  I entered our zip code, 23602, and it came up with Shore Park, VA.  I live in Newport News, VA, and grew up here - I've never heard of Shore Park and have no idea where it is . . . or if it even exists.  Weatherscan gave us immediate, up-to-date radar information and showed the radar in motion so we could tell if weather was coming toward us.  After much trial and error, I finally found the radar with Weatherbug, but it's in weird colors and doesn't move.

Not everyone has a smart phone or pad to check weather radars.  We depended on Weatherscan and TWC.  Verizon apparently doesn't care about its customers.  As a customer who pays nearly $200/month, Verizon should be able to afford TWC and Weatherscan.  

If Verizon doesn't bring back these two channels, they should give us all a break in our monthly bills, at the very least!  Our contract doesn't expire for another year; but if Verizon doesn't bring back these two channels, we'll be looking into getting out of our contract and going to another provider.  When I called Verizon to complain, they told me that we would have to pay $100 to end our contract early.  We'll fight that, if we have to, since they're not providing what we signed up for!!!

0 Likes
Doug104
Enthusiast - Level 2

Add my voice to the others. I liked TWC and I want Verizon to bring it back. Verizon, listen to your customers!!

0 Likes
righteousdude3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Weatherscan (Channel 49) was extremely useful for instant, local weather information.  The Weatherbug widget is an inadequate replacement.

Weatherscan was also a feature available on FiOS that was not available on any other local providers in our area, so it was a real feather in the cap for Verizon.

They  need to bring back Weatherscan ASAP.

gilders1
Enthusiast - Level 1

What is up with the unilateral deletion of The Weather Channel? Verizon, you really dropped the ball on this. Bring it back or I will be gone. Comcast still has it......

SVRWXChaser

Please put the Weather Channel back on ASAP or I will change to XFINITY and I will even pay to break the contract

0 Likes