Re: The Weather Channel
vsting66
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, come on, Verizon, it's your turn to comment on this topic.  More than that, it's your RESPONSIBILITY to respond to these complaints!  I think the message is clear - the subscribers - YOUR subscribers want The Weather Channel back in the lineup.  We don't care what you have to do to make this happen, just do it, or risk losing a pant load of people to providers who do carry TWC. My contract is up for renewal - won't be any trouble for me to make the switch.

0 Likes
fvrs7189
Enthusiast - Level 2

Never comment on things but I have just cancelled my service with fios.  I am going to another provider that will show what I want.  I get more channels, same internet speed, better online services and THE TWC.  I even get a gift card.  The CS rep asked why I was cancelling and said b/c of TWC and she said did I try the weather bug app.  I was like.. have you tried the app and seen how poor it is.  I have been a fios customer since they offered service in my area.  Don't like to switch but Verizon you made me!!!!

Rocky18
Enthusiast - Level 3

@CRobGauth wrote:

This is not a Verizon supported forum.

It is set up as a peer to peer support forum.

And 1200 out of millions of customers is miniscule.
There are a fair number of mainly silent (I and a few others have posted) that we are ok with TWC being dropped.

TWC has started a FB post about being vocal about wanting it back. An overwhelming number of responses are that people were ok with it going.

Most are not happy with the lack of weather and the reality shows.

Accuweather has stated they are working hard to improve their content and plan to stay only weather.

CRob

Where are you getting this information From? On this forum alone the ratio is about 10-1 in favor of bringing TWC Back. This topic has the largest number of comments on the forums. The only reason there aren't more is because VZ makes it so hard to get here. You once said TWC's Viewership has dropped 20%, well I checked that out, and according to Neilsen TWC was one of the only Networks to increase viewers (This past Quarter) with an estimated 76 million viewers. 1200 + and growing may seem minuscule here, But, 609,000 at Keep the Weather Channel.com, over 50,000 on Twitter and another 150,000 on Facebook adds up to a pretty substantial number in my book.

Something has happened to Verizon big time. I don't know what it is. But, it seems like they have taken a 10 year step backwards. Customer complaints are way up. "OUR COMMITMENT TO CUSTOMER SERVICE" has disappeared. They are talking about adding some new video service in the near future. Well Verizon I'd like to know who your going to sell it too when the numbers of people who mistrust Verizon continues to grow.

0 Likes
fasteddie777
Enthusiast - Level 1

I TO I'M STILL **bleep** THAT THE WEATHER SPAN WAS TAKEN OFF AND ACCUWEATHER STINKS

NNT1

It's not coming back. They are not in negotiation's.

0 Likes
Weather Channel
Lynx-69
Enthusiast - Level 1

Where is the Weather Channel?

What ever that crap you have given us is totally useless to anyone in the Baltimore area. All I see is weather for every other place but where I live. I contracted with Verizon for service that included the Weather Channel and as far as I am concerned you broke the contract. I will be leaving this system as soon as I can. I am paying $200.00 a month and expect what I contracted for; thank god you’re not the only game in town any longer.

cmcintyre90

It's unfortunate that the Weather Channel/WeatherScan have been removed from the lineup.  WeatherScan in particular was on a great deal in my house, either just as background and to get a glance at what the weather would be like, or when it looked like something nasty was headed our way, WeatherScan was the first thing to go up.  Sure, my family has a number of smartphones and computers, but the TV was the easiest way to get the information and stay updated on the conditions. No need to keep refreshing a webpage or an app while draining batteries.

I tried giving AccuWeather a fair shot, and it's just not cutting it.  Aside from the video feed blacking out a number of times, the audio going out of sync/out completely, it just takes entirely too long to cycle back to your local area's weather forecast. And where WeatherScan came in handy, displaying NWS alerts along the bottom for your area, AccuWeather falls short (Now I could be proven wrong, but during our last winter storm, there was no advisory or watch/warning displayed on screen).

Verizon makes somewhat of a point when saying many more people use technology such as computers and smartphones to get weather instead of TV.  But if that's the case, why pay AccuWeather at all for a network if it's something we don't need? Plus, TWC isn't just a forecast over and over (though some want it to be) - it's also a niche channel for those interested in weather-related topics (and some other topics, too).  I personally hope it comes back - I've always been very interested in the weather since I was a kid, and the way this was handled upsets me as a customer.  But I'll just go back to watching channels that Verizon feels it needs to carry for their incredible value, such as WACP, the 24-hour infomercial network... Don't know what I'd do if that went away!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Rocky,

Here is my data for viewership.

According to this article, daily viewership is down.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2014/09/13/global-warmoing-casualty-weather-channel-value-ra...

And it is generally understood that people don't come out and say I'm good with it.
That is general nature.

People will be more vocal when they have a complaint vs when they are ok with something.

0 Likes
JDavid
Enthusiast - Level 3

@CRobGauth wrote:

Rocky,

Here is my data for viewership.

According to this article, daily viewership is down.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2014/09/13/global-warmoing-casualty-weather-channel-value-ra...

And it is generally understood that people don't come out and say I'm good with it.
That is general nature.

People will be more vocal when they have a complaint vs when they are ok with something.

And I looked at the Facebook pages (there are several of them).  I didn't find a single one which had more "I'm glad it's gone" responses than "I want it back".  In fact, it was a huge list of complaints about it being gone.

As for it being "generally understood"... It's also generally understood that this forum is hard to find and even harder to get an ID for.  There would be a lot more people posting about TWC being gone if the forum were well-known amongst users and easier to get into.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

And I looked at the Facebook pages (there are several of them).  I didn't find a single one which had more "I'm glad it's gone" responses than "I want it back".  In fact, it was a huge list of complaints about it being gone.

As for it being "generally understood"... It's also generally understood that this forum is hard to find and even harder to get an ID for.  There would be a lot more people posting about TWC being gone if the forum were well-known amongst users and easier to get into.

How about Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-10-09/weather-channels-web-mobile-growth-leads-to-advertis...

They say exactly the same thing.

I can't find any article to back up Rocky's claims of ratings increase (Bloomberg quotes Nielsen for its numbers).

As for the FB posts I mentioned, it was not a page, but one of those sponsored ads that pop up from time to t ime. If I see it again, I will be more than happy to post it.

. I am just a customer. I think that people should be fully informed on what is going on.
Do I think that Verizon always makes the right decisions. No.

I certainly think this could have been handled better (and still could be).

Do I think Accuweather is a suitable substitute for TWC. Not at this time, but willing to take them at their word that they intend to upgrade.

I almost never watched TWC as I dod not find it very useful. I for one use smartphones and PC more for weather than I do TV anyway.