Re: The Weather Channel
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@KYak wrote:

I am one of many that agree that the AccuWeather station is a very poor substute for The Weather Channel.  I spend time ou of state and have The weather Channel in PA.  It gave me confidence in what wa happening to my area while I was away. In addition, it shows the true local weather.  It is a shame that Verizon has gone so "cheaply" when we are paying the bill.

It was never meant to be as substitute.  The decision was first made to drop The Weather Channel.  THen as a separate deal Accuweather offered their service and a low price.

0 Likes
jimbobismad

I suspect that if anyone from Verizon reads these, we would alread have seen the return of the Weather Channel.  TWC has made many changes in the last two months and Verizon is planning to sell the TV part of the service.  It is time to   change their current strategy and move forward.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It was all about cost.

Verizon has numbers that tells them the viewership of their channels.

They then have to make a value judgement on if they believe the costs (which is not only the per subscriber costs but also connection fees) is worth it for the number of viewers.

Verizon decided it wasn't worth it.

IMO, given the cuts that TWC is making (and selling off everything except the TV channel) they are being squeezed by other cable providers as well.

And you hear all the time about people that are cutting the cord. overall viewers to TWC have to be dropping.

I understand that not everyone has access to other devices, but that number is falling.

And as was stated before, Verizon had planned to just drop TWC.

Accuweather gave them a deal they couldn't refuse (not sure what it was).

So it was not drop TWC for Accuweather, it was drop TWC and add Accuweather.

Is it equivalent, I don't think so.

But I am one of the ones that almost never looked at TWC and don't look at Accuweather either.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So I am in VHO4. We just got the local version of Accuweather.

Local cities scroll across the bottom.

And get periodic radar updates (haven't watched long enough to know if it is local on the X yet).

0 Likes
mbrkelley
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't know what that VH04 channel is.  Just checked Accuweather on VZ119 and 619, and they're giving the weather for every city in Maryland (I'm in Virginia).  The local and extended forecasts for those cities are at the bottom, but they never went to my area of Virginia.  Weatherscan was so great . . . you could turn on Channel 49 and immediately see the local radar so you knew if a storm was coming.  Accuweather doesn't offer that.  Don't miss TWC, but we really miss Weatherscan!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

VHO4 is a region of FIOS coverage.

VHO stands for Video Head Office.

So the DC Baltimore area are in VHO4.

Richmond area is VHO9.

silverado4x4
Contributor - Level 2
What channel is it on? Iam in the outside Baltimore area and can not locate it.
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its the normal channels (not an extra one like Weatherscan).
So channels are 119 and 619.

They have added a local spot (like weather on the 8s).

I just haven't watched it enough to see if it is always at the same time or just random times.

0 Likes
mbrkelley
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm in the Newport News/Hampton/Norfolk area.  What channel would that be on?  Like I said, 119 and 619 have Accuweather, but I haven't seen my local area covered . . . just the entire state of Maryland.  VHO doesn't tell us what channel carries the weather.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The only national channel that Verizon supports is Accuweather on 119 and 619.

I have watched it a bit. They have national and regional weather.

Across the bottom is local weather. I did see Hampton Roads go by. Cities are in aplhabetical order.

When local radar comes on, I get DC area.

Not sure if they have one customized for southern VA.

0 Likes