Re: The Weather Channel
kman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Maybe there's still hope, as TWC was recently acquired by Entertainment Studios, and Fios carries 7 of their channels.

http://www.cablefax.com/programming/byrons-buy-first-the-weather-then-the-world

0 Likes
ascasterlow

Accu weather is garbage.  I love the Weather Channel! You stated that the problem was solved with "Accuweather has been around longer than the Weather Channel" Really, that's a solution? Apparently time does not make things better.  I have to wait 3 hours just to see the weather for my local area.  They do not have shows or any up to date hurricane or severe weather watches, it is pitiful. Thanks but no thanks.  I think that it is rude. On the app you just get tidbits of shows and news report, I dont like that. We should be able to choose the weather channel!  

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Weather Features are terrible
Slice4444
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am in Syracuse, NY. Yes the accuweather channel has a window on the side with rotating weather info... But that doesn't change the fact that the widget radar never works, the waiting time for customer service is awful, they shouldn't claim something is "resolved" when it isn't, and I shouldn't be told to "deal with it" when something they offer and I pay for, isn't working. The fact that I have a weather app on my phone isn't relavent. What about people that don't? Sometimes I prefer a forcast that is more complete. After all I am paying for it... They should either get the service to work or get rid of it and reduce my expensive FIOS bill.

hoboham53

Why did you get rid of the Weather Channel, Accuweather sucks. The Weather Channel was much more informative.  BRING it BACK

0 Likes
Bring Back TWC
PAS23

Accuweather is a joke.  Now that COmacast has sold it try to negotiate it.

VZ - Why not take a survey?

0 Likes
Re: Bring Back TWC
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

They have a constant surgery.

They know exactly how many viewers are watching channels at any time.

That was in their statement when the dropped it.

Their numbers said no it enough viewers were watching it for the price they paid.

Remember, cable companies pay for every subscriber whether they watch or not.

As a basic channel, that means every subscriber.

If you look it up, twc ratings have been falling.

Too many people using apps or other online methods for weather instead of tuning it in.

0 Likes
Dan_Miller1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you bother to check your comments? Or do you just repeat what they tell you? 

"If you look it up, TWC ratings have been falling." OK... Let's look it up. I Googled The Weather Channel Ratings, and the first hit was from AdWeek: "The Weather Channel Delivered Its Most-Watched Year Since 2103"

The second article was interesting. Its first paragraph: "The Weather Channel has a new owner, and experienced a solid 2017 on the ratings front, posting high-single digit growth when roughly 70 cable networks posted audience declines from 2016.

The truth is that for 2017, TWC gained 14% in viewership. These figures came frim Nielsen. Where did yours come from?

When I do a google search for AccuWeather ratings, guess what? Nothing shows up. It doesn't even get a mention.

I can't figure out why you keep defending them. Or why you keep defending VZ on this lousy decision. They feebly try to spin it. And you seem to buy in hook, line, and sinker. When in reality, it is purely a case of them saying you are going to eat this, and we don't care, because what are you going to do? At least be honest with us.

Also, please spellcheck.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry for spellcheck.

Tablet auto correct caught me.

I was going off data prior to 2017 for TWC ratings.

And the fact that ratings were declining when FiOS dropped them.

Ratings bump in 2017 is being attributed to number of hurricanes.

And it was a small increase (30K average/day)

Based on 2017 data, they average 250K viewers daily.

Out of 100M cable homes, that is a very small number. Less than 1%.

All cable companies make business decisions on channels.

Until recently, Accuweather was FIOS only.

It is now also being carried by DirecTv.

Its not so much of a defense as reality.

People complain when channels go away.

People also complain when rates go up.

This is a business.

There are more and more choices available.

Verizon has to do what they need to and customers the same.

0 Likes
Kraze8s
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree. Accuweather channel stinks.  Trying to get any info on Hurricane Florence is useless with accuweather. The Weather Channel is so much better.  I am thinking more and more of cutting cable as the commercial states.

teraman
Enthusiast - Level 1

All of the cable companies provide the weather channel and now we have a major hurricane and we cant get any information.  Whoever made the decision to stop the weather channel needs to be made aware of how so many customers want it back.