NASA Channel Needed!
Northlaker1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The omission of the NASA channel is an unexcusable bit of buffoonery from Verizon.  We need it ASAP!!!

0 Likes
Re: Update on Nasa TV
prisaz
Legend

@Carl wrote:

@Tested wrote:

"This year" could reference a fiscal year.  That might end in June, it might end in September.  It might be the calendar year and end in December. 

Just checked the Investor Relations portion of the Verizon web site.VZ's fiscal year is the calendar year. 

I guess to please the investors they do not want to add anymore that may cause additional overhead and cut profits. Perhaps a few pennies per subscriber adds up. Does it cost them anything and does there network need more hardware for QAMs? Perhaps they only installed what they had to install for the expansion last year. Not adding something that is not restricted by contract does not make sense.

philhu
Contributor - Level 2

Not adding NASA makes no sense.

It is a totally free station!  It is actually the ONLY station in the clear on dish network.  You need a dish box, but even an unsubscribed one will get the channel

They should at least add the SD NasaTV.

They are the ones that claim bandwidth is no issue, so SHOW US!

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@philhu wrote:

Not adding NASA makes no sense.

It is a totally free station!  It is actually the ONLY station in the clear on dish network.  You need a dish box, but even an unsubscribed one will get the channel

They should at least add the SD NasaTV.

They are the ones that claim bandwidth is no issue, so SHOW US!

Everyone agrees that we should have NASA TV. But based on Verizon Employes telling them, and customers telling them for months. I guess they just don't care what we want. It should not be a take it or leave it attitude that it seems to be most of the time. As a CL I am supposed to be positive. But yes I do pay them, and they do not pay me, and do provide a paid service to me. So I do not care what they call me. I do have a DTV dish for a $20 spanish package because VZ can not give me the channels. Perhaps another $5 a month will give me NASA in SD on that dish with another box. Yea I know it is rather stupid.

Message Edited by prisaz on 04-03-2009 05:13 PM
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
I just found out that the DTV BÁSICO™ package includes the following channel: NASA SD. I guess since I have this, I can get it off the dish with my wifes $20 Spanish fix. What a shame.
0 Likes
Mungo

I have been a long time Dish SD customer just because they have NASA TV. I brought a HD TV last year and have been waiting

for FIOS to get NASA so I can sign up for FIOS TV. I already use FIOS internet and phone. I know Techman has been doing

all he can and I also have emailed and called many times. Whenever I get a FIOS sales call, I tell them I'll sign up for full package if they get NASA.  I do not understand why Verizon will not pick it up. It is free, all they need to do is pick it off the satellite. I am getting tired of waiting to use my HD TV. So my only option is to upgrade my Dish to HD and commit for another 2 years. Too bad, I really did want FIOS.

0 Likes
Re: NASA Channel Needed!
showstopper78
Would be nice to have the NASA channel considering we live in Tampa, Florida.......
0 Likes
Greg26001
Contributor - Level 2
If it's free to Verizon, what is the hold up?
0 Likes
Sailbourne

In the first NASA TV thread, someone suggested that it might be easily added on one of the local channels. 

Just for the heck of it I decided to take a walk through my local channels (which aren't marked as anything but "Local Programming.")

Bingo!  Looks like NASA TV (standard def) is running on channel 33.  That's in Hillsboro, Oregon.

Still, it would be nice to have this "advertised."  And even more nice if we could get the HD feed.

Please, Verizon!

Thanks Techman for your efforts!

best wishes,

Jamie Lawson

0 Likes
Greg26001
Contributor - Level 2

There are NASA programs that air on other channels, like PBS, Science, and National Geographic.  The HDNet broadcast of a shuttle launch is a NASA production. 

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/nasa_on_tv_schedule.html

0 Likes